Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

Erika

I'd say to do some weight training, if you don't like cardio.

Build some muscle, increases metabolism, makes keeping up with a bit of excess calorie consumption here and there oh so much easier. (And it's healthier than trying to starve yourself down to what number you see as "ideal" on the scale)

Did you just start college or something? Sounds like that infamous "Freshman fifteen":lol: While I'd by no means say you have a weight problem, be sure you are eating healthy and taking care of yourself :wave:

I have to echo what Christy said. Have you tried weights? Or yoga? I am by no means flexible but have found that it is a great way to tone up, even just 15 min a day if that's all the time I can afford. Don't look at the scale. It can be misleading. Just make sure you are eating well and remember if you cut out too many calories your body can't build the muscle it needs.

I also gained 10 lbs in one year (after an accident left me on the couch for a bit) and I hated it, only because my clothes no longer fit and I didn't have enough money for a whole new wardrobe :lol:

I was doing pilates then I stopped about a week ago because I was feeling very sick and wanted to lay around. Is yoga better than pilates? I guess I could TRY to cut out the soda:( All I drink is coke, which is horrible I know... And I usually eat bagels. I need to find some new food groups:lol: I'll try eating more salads and grilled chicken with water or milk, and do a little toning up and walking on the treadmill, since it's about 17 degrees here. Thanks guys!:D

popsicletrees

I was doing pilates then I stopped about a week ago because I was feeling very sick and wanted to lay around. Is yoga better than pilates? I guess I could TRY to cut out the soda:( All I drink is coke, which is horrible I know... And I usually eat bagels. I need to find some new food groups:lol: I'll try eating more salads and grilled chicken with water or milk, and do a little toning up and walking on the treadmill, since it's about 17 degrees here. Thanks guys!:D

I always hated drinking water, but I put a little bit of lemon juice in my bottles of water. Now it is all I drink! It has reallly helped put the weight off quickly. I also walk three miles a day, five times a week. For your abs it is good to walk at an incline. I would ditch the ab lounge and do them the old fashioned way after you walk. Your muscles will get much more of a workout if you do cardio first.

Erika

I always hated drinking water, but I put a little bit of lemon juice in my bottles of water. Now it is all I drink! It has reallly helped put the weight off quickly. I also walk three miles a day, five times a week. For your abs it is good to walk at an incline. I would ditch the ab lounge and do them the old fashioned way after you walk. Your muscles will get much more of a workout if you do cardio first.

A friend of ours is in sports medicine rehab and he agrees with what you said about the ab lounger. A commercial came on tv one time and he went on about how utterly useless he thought it was.

Pixiedust1393 said:
All I drink is coke, which is horrible I know...

I bet if you cut out the soda and keep everything else the same, you'll be surprised at how much your body will change. It is hard to switch to water initially, but once you are used to drinking it, you will start to crave it all the time.

Tim G

Mad??

I always loved the sourdough...

But now this has to be changed into Whole Wheat? or? Whole grain... which is the best for me??? (what's the difference btween those 2 anyway)

tigsmom

Mad??

I always loved the sourdough...

But now this has to be changed into Whole Wheat? or? Whole grain... which is the best for me??? (what's the difference btween those 2 anyway)

Whole wheat will list that as the first ingredient, whole grain can be made from any grain...wheat, rye, oat, etc. and will also be listed first before bleached white flour. While these are the best for you , you can have a piece of sourdough every now and then, just know its not the best option and the net carb count (the amount that effects the blood sugar) will be different because of less fiber.

Pick brown rice over white, whole wheat pasta over regular and a sweet potato is better than a white one. Whole grain bread (whole wheat is just one type) is better than white bread, but you can still have a piece of white bread if that is all that is available.

figmentmom

Reversible yes, cured no. Many people are able to come off of all medications once the weight is off and control blood sugars with diet & exercise alone, thats one of the "ups" of being a type 2.

That's what's happening with my father (among other health issues). He's doing very, very well.

Corrus, take heart! (*hug*)

dopey

Hello all! I'm sorry if a similar question like this has already been asked but I didn't want to go through the 63 pages of this thread:lol:

What is the best way for me to lose about 10 lbs in a short pd. of time? I hate it when people say that it'll take 6 mo. to lose 10 pounds! I just want to get in shape & bathing suit ready for my upcoming WDW trip in April.

About my body shape:
I'm almost 5'4 or exactly 5'4 & weigh anywhere from 121-125 lbs. A year ago I was 110-115 so I don't know how I gained that much weight in a short amount of time. My goal weight is 112 or 113. My biggest areas of fat is stomach and legs.

Any suggestions?... Oh, I HATE running... That's the worst thing ever for me, lol. I have an ab lounge but that doesn't seem to do anything since my abs are kinda covered.

Thanks guys!:D

First off, you shouldn't try to lose any more than 1 or 2 lbs. a week. What's more important than your weight is body fat. If you're 125 and have single-digit body fat that's better than being 110 with double-digit body fat.

Running does suck, but it's not as bad if you do high-intensity intervals. After you warm up (say, 20 minutes on an elliptical), run for two minutes and then walk for another two. Keep doing this for about 20 minutes. Jumping rope is probably the best cardio excercise. Google "high-intensity interval training" and you'll find lots of stuff you can do at a level you're comfortable with.

Weight training will be of great benefit. Greater muscle mass burns more fat. Concentrate on your largest muscles -- legs and back. And do exercises that will strengthen your core. For example, you can do bicep curls while sitting on a ball or standing on a BOSU.

Most important is diet. Focus on what you can eat, not on what you can't. Lean meats (stick to poultry and fish), green veggies (the darker the green, the better) and lots of water. Take your vitamins every day, too. Good luck!

scorp111

It has been a very quiet week in here!

Today is weigh-in day.

I know progress isn't going to be that good, as I have weighed myself a few times "unoffically":)

MouseMadness

I did still stick to my "official" weigh in day on Wed., just nothing excited to report. :lol: :eek:

Actually, I stayed the same, which isn't necessarily bad, because now I know what it'll take to maintain. :lol: (And it wasn't that bad! :sohappy: )

scorp111

Down 2.6 lbs:sohappy: (that was in 9 days)

I am now down 24 lbs, 4% Body Fat, and 4 points on BMI since the 2nd January.

:animwink:

popsicletrees

I think I gained a few pounds back last week because I was having a "hungry" week. I didn't weigh myself during that week to confirm my fears. I was sick from Tuesday-Thursday. I haven't had an appetite since Tuesday and could list everything on both hands that I have eaten since Tuesday (I know this isn't good). I am down two pounds since my last weigh-in. However, I am sure I will gain it back once my appetite comes back.

popsicletrees

Is it bad that I'm drinking diet soda while trying to lose weight? I encountered my first taste of diet pepsi yesterday and fell in love.

While diet soda doesn't contain calories, the caffeine will cause your blood sugar to fluctuate which can make you feel hungry. Also, it contains sodium which will cause you to bloat.

barnum42

While diet soda doesn't contain calories, the caffeine will cause your blood sugar to fluctuate which can make you feel hungry. Also, it contains sodium which will cause you to bloat.

And there is a lot of negative thoughts on the effects of artificial sweeteners. Both sides of the camp put forward differing opinions.

One of the concerns is that our bodies were designed to process natural substances, not the synthetic products found in many things, and especially in artificial sweeteners.

I read a whole tirade on aspartame, so I asked a friend at work if it's something she came across in her days in a chemistry lab. She looked up details of the substance and saw that our body converts it into a chemical used for embalming! :eek:

But from what she could detect there was no solid proof one way or the other as to whether it is bad for you or not.

Wilt Dasney

*runs amuk through diet thread, scattering tidbits*

chocolate-wine-trail-pic.jpg

857_thumb.jpg

RIBS.jpg

Sorry folks...somebody's got to test resolve around here. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom