Downtown Disney rumor

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I'm glad that they are looking to revitalize DTD, but I know a certain pavilion with some solar panels on its roof that could use some TLC if they are looking to spend some money.

djkidkaz

I thought we were supposed to watch the blog this week for an announcement? Granted there's two days left but we're running out of time for the announcement this week.

WDW1974

Just attempted to go over the 222 page plan ... made it about halfway.

What did I get from it? This is Disney's attempt at making one unifying look for its mall and drastically increasing retail space. Many of the new stores appear to be on the small side, like what you'd find it any mall. I see new and relocated water features. I see new bus depots and traffic flow. I see Starbucks taking over Wetzels and something called the Observatory taking over Planet Hollywood. I see a new amphitheater on the water near Paradiso. I see plenty of faux railroad tracks surrounding much of it and looking very out of place in front of DQ and Splitsville. I see a MUCH larger footprint for WoD because, after all, the store full of Disney crap ain't big enough already. I see some retail locale called SF Girl having a prominent locale near AMC. Lots of smaller retail pushed out into what used to be parking.

I don't see a thing that jumps out and says improvement to me except, perhaps, having the parking structure.

But I am pretty certain that you will hear about this very soon and Disney will make a big splash with it to take your minds off neglected/stale parks, the disaster that is MM+ and the fact prices are about to increase again!

Just don't be fooled. Even if this is a nice upgrade, people don't visit WDW to go to DD.

Keep your eyes focused on what's truly important.

articos

What did I get from it? This is Disney's attempt at making one unifying look for its mall and drastically increasing retail space. Many of the new stores appear to be on the small side, like what you'd find it any mall. I see new and relocated water features. I see new bus depots and traffic flow. I see Starbucks taking over Wetzels and something called the Observatory taking over Planet Hollywood. I see a new amphitheater on the water near Paradiso. I see plenty of faux railroad tracks surrounding much of it and looking very out of place in front of DQ and Splitsville. I see a MUCH larger footprint for WoD because, after all, the store full of Disney crap ain't big enough already. I see some retail locale called SF Girl having a prominent locale near AMC. Lots of smaller retail pushed out into what used to be parking.

I don't see a thing that jumps out and says improvement to me except, perhaps, having the parking structure.

But I am pretty certain that you will hear about this very soon and Disney will make a big splash with it to take your minds off neglected/stale parks, the disaster that is MM+ and the fact prices are about to increase again!

Just don't be fooled. Even if this is a nice upgrade, people don't visit WDW to go to DD.

Hey, if that parks thing doesn't work out for them, they can always do malls. Excuse, outdoor lifestyle centers. With trains. Because Walt.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

The way I think about it is pretty simple. At a time when things are really humming along at WDW something like this is almost forgotten about. You visit, there's new ride or two, a new show, and a new land under construction...at some point you visit DtD and go, "Oh yeah, I forgot they were doing this." If they start really promoting this kind of thing, it is bad sign indeed.

alissafalco

The way I think about it is pretty simple. At a time when things are really humming along at WDW something like this is almost forgotten about. You visit, there's new ride or two, a new show, and a new land under construction...at some point you visit DtD and go, "Oh yeah, I forgot they were doing this." If they start really promoting this kind of thing, it is bad sign indeed.

I really don't see the draw to DDT at all. Every time I have ever gone post PI (2x), I leave saying " that's it"? Why did I waste my time going? It a bunch of overpriced stores that I have at home in NY anyway (for cheaper). The Disney store is exactly the same merch that you can get anywhere else on WDW property, I can bowl at home if I wanted to, and I can buy legos at toys r us for a fraction of the price. The same goes for the chain restaurants there also. There is nothing different or unique to DDT and that is why I no longer waste my time going.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I really don't see the draw to DDT at all. Every time I have ever gone post PI (2x), I leave saying " that's it"? Why did I waste my time going? It a bunch of overpriced stores that I have at home in NY anyway (for cheaper). The Disney store is exactly the same merch that you can get anywhere else on WDW property, I can bowl at home if I wanted to, and I can buy legos at toys r us for a fraction of the price. The same goes for the chain restaurants there also. There is nothing different or unique to DDT and that is why I no longer waste my time going.

Well there is going to be more chain stores! Plus, the Observatory...which isn't going to be real observatory I'm sure. Way to cool for DtD in its current iteration.

dcibrando

Wow some of you guys don't give Disney credit for anything and yes, I believe the parks need some tlc as well, but DTD redo is a big thing in my opinion.

I could make the same argument that people don't just go to Disney to see a yeti that swipes at them which we only see for 1 second too

IMO anything within the wdw resort that gets tlc the better, DTD, busses, resorts, or parks...is a win.

If the parks where perfect and DTD was like it is some of you would be complaining about that too. Apparently Disney thinks there will be a ROI by doing this so enjoy it. It's better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than the Hyperion barf idea

Cosmic Commando

So is there some kind of internal transportation going in? I go to DtD for the Disney-owned shops in the Marketplace and either Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express... even then not every trip. There's nothing I really care for on the West Side, but if I can just hop on a trolley, I might wander around.

Jen Marie

I am a huge Disney fan but even I have to say, I don't like what I am hearing about Downtown Disney. The names sound awful and the thought of a parking garage makes me cringe. It may solve parking issues but it will be an eye soar, no matter how nicely decorated. If they do all this I have to say, I'm not really interested in going to Downtown Disney anymore.

StageFrenzy

The problem with a lot of the parking garages in Florida is the other drivers. Someone mentioned the garage at prime, yes its nice but god forbid you get behind a idiot on the way down. I have parked there a couple times 2/3 times its not bad the third time its horribad.

I am a huge Disney fan but even I have to say, I don't like what I am hearing about Downtown Disney. The names sound awful and the thought of a parking garage makes me cringe. It may solve parking issues but it will be an eye soar, no matter how nicely decorated. If they do all this I have to say, I'm not really interested in going to Downtown Disney anymore.

As far as a parking garage in DtD it needs to happen. Why does a parking garage make you cringe, is it somehow less magical than plain asphalt. They aren't always eyesores and its needed.

scpergj

Being a railroad geek (and model railroader), I'm curious about the tracks. Is there any chance they could be used for some sort of trolly system to move people from one end of the area to the other? While my family usually walks, I'd enjoy the kinetic energy of such a system.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If the parks where perfect and DTD was like it is some of you would be complaining about that too. Apparently Disney thinks there will be a ROI by doing this so enjoy it. It's better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than the Hyperion barf idea

I thought Hyperion Wharf sounded like it had promise (especially from a themeing perspective), but your thoughtful analysis has swayed me.

MaryJaneP

Wow some of you guys don't give Disney credit for anything and yes, I believe the parks need some tlc as well, but DTD redo is a big thing in my opinion.

I could make the same argument that people don't just go to Disney to see a yeti that swipes at them which we only see for 1 second too

IMO anything within the wdw resort that gets tlc the better, DTD, busses, resorts, or parks...is a win.

Credit is the positive side of the coin. Blame is the negative side. Your post about ROI is disturbingly predictive of the motivation and results expected. Maximize profit, minimize cost, regardless of guest experience. You point out one failure (Yeti) but leave out a whole litany of other fails. Are we wrong to expect something to improve and to complain when it doesn't?

Thrill Seeker

I thought Hyperion Wharf sounded like it had promise (especially from a themeing perspective), but your thoughtful analysis has swayed me.

I mostly hated the name and that all it added was more shops and restaurants. There needs to be more to do at DTD besides shopping and dining. Splitsville, AMC and Cirque are pretty much it. DQ barely counts because it's overpriced and super outdated.

DTD needs more attractions. 'nuf said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom