Downtown Disney rumor

CDavid

The proposed new entrance to World Showcase was water-based, and served only Caribbean Beach.
Not sure where it stands now.

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. Seems like it would be a reasonably short canal required to link Pop Century/AoA into a such a water route as well.

Lee

Adventurer
If I remember correctly, maybe not, but I could have sworn I remember mumblings in the cubicles of Team Disney that Disney had actually bought a wooden coaster (used) and had it stored in DC-5 or something crazy like that? Did I dream that?
Don't know about storing a whole coaster...
But they have the original BW model, with coaster, still in storage.

4575344314_bc98d351a3_o.jpg

Funmeister

View attachment 28562

Maybe there was some "Lost in Translation" during that time...too much sun in the sun dial! lol By chance did anyone ever get the chance to see the lit model they found built IN the walls (along with one of Walt's trains) in the old Walt Disney Story? I believe it was discovered during the summer of 1994. Was really cool...spooky too. You had to basically go into a small storage area/closet and climb a ladder to open an access panel cut in the wall and there it was. It amazed me because it sat in the wall for yours with electricity running to it all lit up and no one had any idea until they had to do some work tearing open the walls. The train was in a small closet off of one of the theater itself. Anyone get to experience?

articos

People/companies have tried to do this and Disney wasn't interested (reportedly.)
Correct.
If there's money to be made, I'm sure they could step outside of their wheelhouse. If they could do aquariums, they could certainly do live entertainment (especially since it's already been done and everything's already spelled out for them).

I think it's more of an issue of Disney wanting to save it for themselves, but not motivated enough to actually do anything with it.
Landry's would not be good for this, nor would they want to get into this. There are other companies out there that would be much better suited. Live entertainment is a very different thing, especially when combined with F&B. RE: Disney, no, it's not that they want to save it for themselves, it's just not a priority at the moment. You have to understand how Disney works: AC was a relic of managers who are no longer in the positions they were. Yes, TWDC knows AC is an iconic brand, and something that could be brought back. But that has to be brought to the forefront with a plan in place by any one exec within one of multiple departments, then it has to be run through a gauntlet of others, all of whom will place their own suggestions and roadblocks. It's just not easy. I have not given up on the AC making a return at some point, though...

2nd water entry to WS is not likely to happen. Take note of Sidney's post with regards to the name.

Magenta Panther

I visited Downtown Disney for the first time about a year ago. Wasn't impressed much. The Lego lake monster is kinda cool, I guess...but I probably won't go back.

doctornick

Because the parks are where things like that go. if any money at WDW is being spent on nighttime shows it needs to be done where it counts - and that would be upgrading RoE and/or Fant.

I think there is a place for a smaller show like the Electrical Water Pageant at DTD. Or putting in some dancing fountains in the water.

articos

Isn't it Levy Restaurants that runs so many things at Disney, not Landry's?
Levy has Portobello, Fulton's and is the operator for Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe. Landry's is T-Rex, Rainforest and Yak & Yeti. Patina runs Tutto Italia, Tutto Gusto and Via Napoli, as well as 5 food service locations at Downtown Disney Anaheim. Earl of Sandwich and Planet Hollywood are corporate cousins, but separate corporate entities. House of Blues is a subsidiary of Live Nation. All other dining locations are individually owned or chain owned. Cap'n Jack's is still Disney-owned.

Rob562

Cool. I'd never seen that model before. But if you look closely, it doesn't appear to be a real coaster, but rather a two-dimensional lattice structure that would give the look of a wooden coaster as part of the skyline behind the buildings without it actually being a working coaster... (This is most noticeable on the far-left)

By chance did anyone ever get the chance to see the lit model they found built IN the walls (along with one of Walt's trains) in the old Walt Disney Story? I believe it was discovered during the summer of 1994. Was really cool...spooky too.

You're speaking of the Thunder Mesa model that was at the exit to the Walt Disney Story (now the Town Square Exhibition Hall) that had been walled up and was re-discovered with lights still working when they renovated for the 25th Anniversary exhibit.

-Rob

NoChesterHester

A couple thoughts.

I'm glad to see the scope increased. I am just laughing at people lauding for the unbuilt and less ambitious Hyperion Warf based on a blocking diagram from a rumor site and two year old concept renderings of an amphitheater.

People are reacting to "why more retail when Hyperion Warf failed?" Hyperion Warf could have been filled if it was constructed, but in the current economic climate pre-leasing retail is very difficult... especially at the prices they are asking. If they build it well and give it the character we all expect of a Disney venture, they will come. If it ends up being a generic lifestyle center they will struggle to compete.

articos

Cool. I'd never seen that model before. But if you look closely, it doesn't appear to be a real coaster, but rather a two-dimensional lattice structure that would give the look of a wooden coaster as part of the skyline behind the buildings without it actually being a working coaster... (This is most noticeable on the far-left)
Even though the model only shows the coaster in 2D, the plan was to have a full wooden coaster incorporated into BW. Then that got cut, and they were going to use 2D flats to give the appearance of a coaster behind the resort, then that was chopped as well.
A couple thoughts. People are reacting to "why more retail when Hyperion Warf failed?" Hyperion Warf could have been filled if it was constructed, but in the current economic climate pre-leasing retail is very difficult... especially at the prices they are asking. If they build it well and give it the character we all expect of a Disney venture, they will come. If it ends up being a generic lifestyle center they will struggle to compete.
Even in this economic environment, vendors have been lining up to take space in DTD's expansion. It is one place that is really never hurting for commercial partners. Disney is selective with the DTD district, as they are with any location on their properties, and they ask a lot to qualify. When announced, the expansion will have the majority of the space filled, as I believe @wdwmagic mentioned.

I agree with the last part of what you said - if it ends up being only as good as, it won't do as well, and will ding the brand reputation just a bit more.

WDW1974

March or April would seem likely.

I'm thinking sooner rather than later ... George Kalogridis needs something splashy to take attention off the poor resort load levels (HINT: just because a resort is sold out doesn't make it so if Disney takes 32% of the rooms out of inventory!), the lackluster (Disney Lifestylers aside) response to 'New Fantasyland' , the on life support yet again Pandora and the disaster that is NGE.

Showing off art and actually naming a few new tenants for 'Disney Springs' would certainly do so ... and it almost seems like they're hiding Georgie in a closet these days (no aspersions on his sexuality intended!), so they need him out in the sun with the bloggers ASAP.

WDW1974

Help me...what does World of Disney have that say Emporium or MouseGear does not?

Hah. Simple.

Even more Disney-BRANDED crap that you don't need unless you want to wind up on Hoarders!
(great idea, I should pitch that to them ... because we know there are folks living around O-Town and elsewhere with homes where the rooms are filled with boxes and bags and shelves of Disney crap ... you do know that May 6-13, 2005 DD Times Guide is so important that you definitely should keep all 35 copies you grabbed!)

WDW1974

If I remember correctly, maybe not, but I could have sworn I remember mumblings in the cubicles of Team Disney that Disney had actually bought a wooden coaster (used) and had it stored in DC-5 or something crazy like that? Did I dream that?

I don't believe they ever bought one, no. ... I think I may have heard that rumour, though.

stevehousse

I think there is a place for a smaller show like the Electrical Water Pageant at DTD. Or putting in some dancing fountains in the water.

I love the idea of the electrical water pageant at DTD! I think an even better draw would be to do World of Color! DTD needs a draw like this to make it successful! I like the idea for the new plans.

On a side note, about that coaster! It looks just like the one at DCA! It would be cool if WDW was able to have that! I too think it would make the boardwalk a bigger draw! Disney needs to invest on the boardwalk.after DTD. It really needs a makeover and can be a huge money maker if they do it right! It has such potential! Heck, even do one o the water shows here!

WDW1974

Maybe there was some "Lost in Translation" during that time...too much sun in the sun dial! lol By chance did anyone ever get the chance to see the lit model they found built IN the walls (along with one of Walt's trains) in the old Walt Disney Story? I believe it was discovered during the summer of 1994. Was really cool...spooky too. You had to basically go into a small storage area/closet and climb a ladder to open an access panel cut in the wall and there it was. It amazed me because it sat in the wall for yours with electricity running to it all lit up and no one had any idea until they had to do some work tearing open the walls. The train was in a small closet off of one of the theater itself. Anyone get to experience?

Yep ... part of the Thunder Mesa/WRE model that was there for years.

I'd like to say that I can't believe they did that, but Disney is the company that has walled up restrooms only to rediscover them many years later. And this goes back to Walt's time almost ...

Longhairbear

I have a fuzzy memory of something similar in Tomorrowland at DLR a decade ago. Interior lights, or show elements still lighting up inside closed up walls etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom