Downtown Disney rumor

StageFrenzy

The AC with a Locomotive sticking out intrigues me, I figured some type of shop until @WDW1974 or @Lee said lounge/cafeteria. Who is running said Lounge/Cafeteria Disney or 3rd party?

Did Knee

I'm a little perplexed at that claim actually. T-Rex and Rainforest seem to compete with one another, but Adventurers Club seems wholly different. The first two are themed restaurant environments for families, the latter an entertainment/nightlife option for adults...no?
I never said it was a GOOD reason :rolleyes:

Cosmic Commando

It's an outline for a lifestyle center complete with "themes" and their associated hollow names. Detail may provide something more unique, but as of now nothing different is discussed. Yes, it'll be at Walt Disney World and there is a market for shopping and dining there, but that doesn't mean we need to pretend its anything more special than what can be experienced elsewhere across the country.
I'm not surprised they picked up on more of a lifestyle center concept, but I am surprised they picked up on the stupid names that could be part of any outdoor mall or suburban housing development anywhere in the country.

NoChesterHester

It's an outline for a lifestyle center complete with "themes" and their associated hollow names. Detail may provide something more unique, but as of now nothing different is discussed. Yes, it'll be at Walt Disney World and there is a market for shopping and dining there, but that doesn't mean we need to pretend its anything more special than what can be experienced elsewhere across the country.

Then they can't win no matter what they do with DTD. I don't really understand what people want it to be.

Leaving it as it is isn't an option. Spend money on putting in draws (like a WOC type show), and people complain that the money should be spent on the parks. It always was a lifestyle center, it just took the rest of the country a decade or two to copy the plan. If they take the model and plus it, I have no issue. I don't want it to be a theme park. They are having enough trouble managing the ones they already have.

It will be a failure in my eyes if the "Landing" isn't some sort of night time entertainment district. That was sorely lacking on our last trip.

Jen Marie

Parking garages are always an eye soar. The family loves it when we drive down the street and see all the shops and things. Putting up a garage detracts from the experience. Asphalt does not block the view. If people know they are going to be walking around all of Downtown Disney they just need to go park on the other side by the House of Blues and Cirque du soleil. They have a ton of parking spots in front and around the backside by the water. We never have a problem parking or leaving.

NoChesterHester

Parking garages are always an eye soar. The family loves it when we drive down the street and see all the shops and things. Putting up a garage detracts from the experience. Asphalt does not block the view. If people know they are going to be walking around all of Downtown Disney they just need to go park on the other side by the House of Blues and Cirque du soleil. They have a ton of parking spots in front and around the backside by the water. We never have a problem parking or leaving.

Really? I believe the exact opposite. Seas of surface parking is offensive, obtrusive, and horribly ugly.

So you would rather have this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petitshoo/20631855/

Than any of these??
http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog/dyn/29788/parking-lots-of-miami/#.USa-d6U3t8E
http://www.thecoolist.com/parking-garage-design-10-modernist-masterpieces/

Ok...

Cosmic Commando

It is possible to have a parking garage that doesn't look terrible on the outside... almost nobody does it, though.

ThemeParks4Life

Here's a good/cool suggestion for the Observatory restaurant:

Why not turn it into a Restaurant/Dance Club/Bar and name it after our well known member here @Cosmic Commando. It should be called "Cosmic Commando's Supersonic Space Club".:) You good with this @Cosmic Commando?

Nah, since J.J. Abrams is directing Episode VII make it a lens flare restaurant :p

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Please say the Observatory is a giant Adventures Club type Resturaunt/Bar. There are only so many ways to redress that Planet Hollywood Globe. I guess an Observatory is the best one.

You could turn it into the Death Star, have the coolest laser tag game ever on the inside (don't whack your opponent too hard with your light saber) and have adult beverages served by protocol droids. Or you could call it "Big Ball Place" and sell Disney pins on the inside.

jt04

So the 'pied piper' of the unthinking has already declared to his followers that they should hate the plan even before the details are released. And his loyal subjects fall right in line. I'm shocked! :eek:

It is a shopping and entertainment complex. It was never intended to be a theme park. I regret that Eisner did not continue with the original aesthetics. I want the Empress Lily restored as much as anyone. But we have to play with the hand we have been dealt. I am just happy they are doing something to realize some of the potential of the area. Way overdue. And nothing says they can't recreate the original marketplace or PI somewhere else on property as stand alones someday. That is what I would do.

ThemeParks4Life

You could turn it into the Death Star, have the coolest laser tag game ever on the inside (don't whack your opponent too hard with your light saber) and have adult beverages served by protocol droids. Or you could call it "Big Ball Place" and sell Disney pins on the inside.

YES to the first option.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So the 'pied piper' of the unthinking has already declared to his followers that they should hate the plan even before the details are released. And his loyal subjects fall right in line. I'm shocked! :eek:

Your argument is stronger without this insulting start.

John

Honestly...what is there not to like with the plan? Its an upgrade over what exsist now ( God how I hate agreeing with jt). Stop with the parking garage complaints. There will be plenty of acerage of yellow lined asphalt for those who dont want to park there. All that said...I agree with Mouse Dectective 100%. Add some night life for pete sake. You do this and do it right and AC will be all forgiven......almost.;)

71jason

But without a trolley, they *must* make the water taxis a more prominent and viable means of transport within DD. ...

Problem is, even hidden as they are, demand far outstrips supply--even with only moderate crowds, you're lucky to get on the third boat that comes. Even with that bottleneck by the Lego store, it's probably twice as fast to walk.

Genie of the Lamp

Honestly...what is there not to like with the plan?

For me the only two things I don't have pleasure over are the name change and that Wetzel's Pretzels is becoming a Starbucks. But other than that (and was hoping night clubs would be brought back in some way shape or form) I am fine with them making these changes to DTD. Really interested in that Observatory Restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom