Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

SoCalMort

He is angry they made DCA in the first place. The Lord preferred it as a parking lot

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Genesis 1:31, KJV

5f8c5d96ffa995dd7e3889576bcecd4a.jpg

Darkbeer1

>>Legoland California became the latest theme park in the state to swing open its gates — albeit on a limited basis.

The Carlsbad kiddie park has opened the New York, Las Vegas and New Orleans sections of Miniland U.S.A. to annual passholders, Legoland Hotel guests and shoppers who spend at least $25 at the theme park’s Big Shop.

The heart of Legoland recreates scale versions of famous U.S. cities and landmarks using Lego bricks. Miniland U.S.A. is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (and until 6 p.m. on Fridays).<<

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

>>Legoland California became the latest theme park in the state to swing open its gates — albeit on a limited basis.

The Carlsbad kiddie park has opened the New York, Las Vegas and New Orleans sections of Miniland U.S.A. to annual passholders, Legoland Hotel guests and shoppers who spend at least $25 at the theme park’s Big Shop.

The heart of Legoland recreates scale versions of famous U.S. cities and landmarks using Lego bricks. Miniland U.S.A. is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (and until 6 p.m. on Fridays).<<
There's more than 1 Legoland???

DrAlice

I've got to say..... If we lived closer and just wanted to do a weekend "staycation", this would be tempting. Hanging out at the LegoLand hotel (or Castle hotel), nearby beaches, and a tour of the miniland would be fun. Keep in mind that I'm also factoring in that they are currently offering discounted hotel prices. :)

Curious Constance

I've got to say..... If we lived closer and just wanted to do a weekend "staycation", this would be tempting. Hanging out at the LegoLand hotel (or Castle hotel), nearby beaches, and a tour of the miniland would be fun. Keep in mind that I'm also factoring in that they are currently offering discounted hotel prices. :)
Remembering what I paid last summer hurts!

smooch

My daughter was diagnosed about a month after a WDW trip. She was drinking bottles of water ($4+ a pop of course) and going to the bathroom constantly while in WDW. We of course didn't think much of it and then got the tough news a month later. She's been a rock star, uses the omnipod and a dexcom and has made life much easier. Were you ever a part of PADRE foundation in Orange County? Was a life saver for her and us.

Keep up the good fight. I know how hard it can be and am always in awe of how brave folks with T1 are day in and day out.

I am not in OC so I was not part of the PADRE foundation. I also use an Omnipod and Dexcom! I tried switching to the T-Slim in January because of the closed loop but I can not get used to a tubed pump again, I had one from when I was 11 to 13 then I switched to Omnipod and have been on it ever since. I actually was snowboarding about a week or two before my diagnosis, I was chugging water like crazy and had to stop to go to the bathroom a ton and didn't think much of it. I got really sick and got so sick I was on the couch all day for a week and the day of my doctor's appointment I was so weak I couldn't even walk to the car without help from my brother.

I actually have a service dog from Dogs4Diabetics, his name is Herman and he's saved my life multiple times. I got him in 7th grade and he "retired" once I graduated high school, I initially planned on going to a 4 year out of school and wasn't gonna bring him but I instead have been going to community college (last semester there is about to start) and living at home so he still will alert on my lows from time to time but he is basically a pet now. They've been hit very hard from COVID as they're a non-profit, I'm close with the founder and have been emailing him a bit during these times and it sucks to see what has happened the past few months. They're based in Concord, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them but it is an interesting thing to look in to. I'm very adamant about not going to private trainers for diabetic alert service dogs, this organization is the one that pioneered the whole idea, the founder did all the research after a guide dog he was helping train woke him up in the middle of the night and his sugar was low and the dog seemed like it knew. Very very interesting stuff, even after hearing all about the process and training and science behind it it's still like magic to me.

Thank you for the kind words, the worst part about being Type 1 is that I don't get a day off ever. I can't just be lazy and not deal with it or I'll feel terrible or could find myself in a very dangerous situation. Even if I'm on vacation and I want to just relax I have to be mindful, especially at Disneyland I have to realize I'm moving a lot more than usual and have to adjust basal rates or make sure I'm having food or drinks to keep my sugar up and having to calculate if I should leave some carbs off whatever I eat to balance out all the extra exercise, it's just so much work constantly and it can feel lonely even with a family that helps in any way possible it's just tough because I can do everything correct and have bad sugars and nobody can truly understand how it feels unless they have Type 1 as well. I don't mean that to discredit everyone who helps people they know with Type 1, it's just a big mental thing I've had all these years is that I feel like I'm the only one who really knows the toll it can take some times.

Stevek

I am not in OC so I was not part of the PADRE foundation. I also use an Omnipod and Dexcom! I tried switching to the T-Slim in January because of the closed loop but I can not get used to a tubed pump again, I had one from when I was 11 to 13 then I switched to Omnipod and have been on it ever since. I actually was snowboarding about a week or two before my diagnosis, I was chugging water like crazy and had to stop to go to the bathroom a ton and didn't think much of it. I got really sick and got so sick I was on the couch all day for a week and the day of my doctor's appointment I was so weak I couldn't even walk to the car without help from my brother.

I actually have a service dog from Dogs4Diabetics, his name is Herman and he's saved my life multiple times. I got him in 7th grade and he "retired" once I graduated high school, I initially planned on going to a 4 year out of school and wasn't gonna bring him but I instead have been going to community college (last semester there is about to start) and living at home so he still will alert on my lows from time to time but he is basically a pet now. They've been hit very hard from COVID as they're a non-profit, I'm close with the founder and have been emailing him a bit during these times and it sucks to see what has happened the past few months. They're based in Concord, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them but it is an interesting thing to look in to. I'm very adamant about not going to private trainers for diabetic alert service dogs, this organization is the one that pioneered the whole idea, the founder did all the research after a guide dog he was helping train woke him up in the middle of the night and his sugar was low and the dog seemed like it knew. Very very interesting stuff, even after hearing all about the process and training and science behind it it's still like magic to me.

Thank you for the kind words, the worst part about being Type 1 is that I don't get a day off ever. I can't just be lazy and not deal with it or I'll feel terrible or could find myself in a very dangerous situation. Even if I'm on vacation and I want to just relax I have to be mindful, especially at Disneyland I have to realize I'm moving a lot more than usual and have to adjust basal rates or make sure I'm having food or drinks to keep my sugar up and having to calculate if I should leave some carbs off whatever I eat to balance out all the extra exercise, it's just so much work constantly and it can feel lonely even with a family that helps in any way possible it's just tough because I can do everything correct and have bad sugars and nobody can truly understand how it feels unless they have Type 1 as well. I don't mean that to discredit everyone who helps people they know with Type 1, it's just a big mental thing I've had all these years is that I feel like I'm the only one who really knows the toll it can take some times.
Yep, until you are in the shoes of a T1, you really don't understand. I'm around it every day but it's not the same as living with it.

mandelbrot

So I took another trip to Downtown Disney yesterday. Health check and security lines were non-existent on this late July Friday afternoon at 1:40PM. Crowds in general were very light. We had a reservation for Ballast Point at 2PM and, upon arriving at the restaurant, we were directed up the stairs immediately and sat at a patio table without any delay. Nearly every (socially distanced) table was occupied and they were very clear about their pandemic policies. Seriously, Ballast Point is nailing this.

Their new ordering system is the best I've encountered. The old way was to walk up to the bar and order. They'd give you a numbered placard, you'd find an unoccupied table (clean or dirty), and wait for food and drinks to arrive. The current system consists of a QR code taped down in the middle of your table which reveals their current menu by scanning with your phone. You then order and pay (and tip!) via your phone and food and drinks arrive promptly. The Ballast Point Burger is fabulous! You want another round of delicious beers? Scan the code again. It's wonderful and requires minimal contact with staff who were cautiously attentive and thoroughly professional while reminding guests when they need to be wearing masks.

Following our delightful meal we wandered a bit around Downtown Disney. Most dining locations were mostly full but we saw no lines at any of them. The walkways of Downtown Disney were eerily empty. Before last weekend the few open locations had short lines most of the day but now that Tortilla Jo's and Ballast Point have opened it seems that lines have become very rare at any restaurant. Indeed some CM's I talked to from the original open locations have reported that business has declined significantly. It appears that Downtown Disney has reached its ceiling on the amount of guests it can draw without the parks being open. Jazz Kitchen opening soon will further cannibalize business from currently open restaurants.

Is this sustainable? So far it seems to be. That said, Jazz Kitchen will probably be the last to open before the parks come back. I am utterly amazed that people are still coming three weeks after opening but the current experience is pleasant enough to warrant it I suppose. Just know that if you're on your feet you are required to wear a mask. The cast members are risking their health to be working right now so be kind and tip well!

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Just got back from Downtown Disney. Got turned around the first time and luckily got in the second time. Was able to get the masks I was looking for. Hopefully they’ll release some Pirates or the Caribbean ones.

Darkbeer1

Just got back from Downtown Disney. Got turned around the first time and luckily got in the second time. Was able to get the masks I was looking for. Hopefully they’ll release some Pirates or the Caribbean ones.
Next time, head straight to GardenWalk.

Two hours of parking for $3, and $3 per hour after that.

Easy walk to the Eastern Security check, usually no wait to enter.

Then you can save your receipt and check it against the winning numbers posted on their Facebook page. The odds are about 500 to 1 to win something

Easy in, easy out, and never on pause.

Just drove by Simba. Which is on Pause

Lots of confused drivers going both directions on Disney Way.

Typing this on the P.F. Chang's patio.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Next time, head straight to GardenWalk.

Two hours of parking for $3, and $3 after that.

Easy walk to the Eastern Security check, usually no wait to enter.

Then you can save your receipt and check it against the winning numbers posted on their Facebook page. The odds are about 500 to 1 to win something

Easy in, easy out, and never on pause.

Just drove by Simba. Which is on Pause

Lots of confused drivers going both directions on Disney Way.

Typing this on the P.F. Chang's patio.

Enjoy some of their spring rolls!

( mmm....now I'm hungry....)

:hungry:

-

TP2000

Original Poster
It's 91 degrees here in La Jolla, which is record-breaking heat here. I just looked on Wunderground, and there's a station a few blocks from the Resort that is currently 116 degrees in the shade in central Anaheim. Definitely a new record for the date for Anaheim, and if its official it would break the highest temp ever recorded in Anaheim at 115.

Anyone want to head to Downtown Disney with broad cement walkways for some outdoor dining and mandatory masks at 116 degrees this holiday weekend?.... Anyone?....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom