Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

flutas

Wow, it sounds like some folks have a problem with HIPPA, the federal law that prevents companies from disclosing health issues of their staff.

That is not a Disney issue, but a general issue for all companies right now.

BTW - This does not prevent them from disclosing that someone has tested positive for COVID, it prevents them from naming who has tested positive.

They can disclose something along the lines of "A worker has tested positive for COVID that you may have interacted with." or even "A worker (or 11) in the horticulture team has tested positive."

They cannot (without a persons consent) say "Joe B Mcgee from accounting has COVID with a cough."

In fact, here's the CDC saying employers should disclose a positive test result.

In addition to cleaning and disinfecting, employers should determine which employees may have been exposed to the virus and need to take additional precautions:
  • If an employee is confirmed to have COVID-19, employers should inform fellow employees of their possible exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

mandelbrot

OK, Downtown Disney workers are a mix of CM's and employees of individual locations (aka Patina Group, Sephora, etc.)

Every CM working there are by choice. Everyone of them could have remained on furlough, and collect state unemployment, plus an extra $300 per week. No one was forced to go to work, there was plenty of volunteers.

I have been to DtD two times since they opened in July. I also have contacts in working CM's, employees of restaurants and shops, and also GardenWalk employees, the Pizza Press and some of the Hotels operating.

Basically, they are happy to be back at work and interacting with guests. These folks opted for these type of jobs because they are "people" personalities, and like talking to others. The servers are saying the average tip is higher, and not just due to the fact the average food costs are higher.

The majority of guests are following the rules, and happier than normal. Yes, they complain about certain guests and how they behave, but then, they complained about certain guests for decades now. They will always be there. Today, it might be the attitude about the mask, 10 years ago, it was the smoking policy, for an example, plenty of things guests do can be bothersome.

I have been told by Managers/owners, that they get contacted by those not working on a regular basis, asking about if shifts are available, and that they would be happy to work.

As for COVID, I can tell you that the city watches the COVID numbers very carefully, and have not seen a rise of COVID cases coming from the Resort area. Same with Orange County officials.

Did someone working in the area get COVID? Maybe. But was it from work, or was it some other activity, such as hang out with friends?

Anyways, it has been a busy holiday weekend for the resort area. Well, actually it is dead versus Labor Day 2019, but for the current conditions, things have been good. More locations have opened, and more are planning to do so.

Are things perfect? No, but when have they been?

I would say things are Good. And that is what I have been hearing and seeing. And I have been in the resort area many times a week since July, so that is direct responses from CM's and employees, managers, owners and guests. Plus what my wife and I have seen for ourselves.

And as a person involved in current political campaigns in the area, have not heard things advertising how awful it is to work in the area, something you would expect from certain campaigns or union groups.

And the same basic thing at Knott's. I was having dinner with my wife at the Chicken Dinner restaurant, and our server was a wonderful woman, older than us, who has worked there for many decades. She did say she wanted more shifts, but was very happy to be at work. She missed the interactions with her fellow associates, and even the guests. Yes, she had a few complaints about management, but it seemed directed to the Cedar Fair level, and not the Knott's managers.

She did complain about the outdoor seating, as it was a longer walk to and from the kitchen!

Things happen, and people adapt. We will continue to do so as we continue forward, living our lives.

Happy Labor Day!
[/QUOTE
OK, Downtown Disney workers are a mix of CM's and employees of individual locations (aka Patina Group, Sephora, etc.)

Every CM working there are by choice. Everyone of them could have remained on furlough, and collect state unemployment, plus an extra $300 per week. No one was forced to go to work, there was plenty of volunteers.

I have been to DtD two times since they opened in July. I also have contacts in working CM's, employees of restaurants and shops, and also GardenWalk employees, the Pizza Press and some of the Hotels operating.

Basically, they are happy to be back at work and interacting with guests. These folks opted for these type of jobs because they are "people" personalities, and like talking to others. The servers are saying the average tip is higher, and not just due to the fact the average food costs are higher.

The majority of guests are following the rules, and happier than normal. Yes, they complain about certain guests and how they behave, but then, they complained about certain guests for decades now. They will always be there. Today, it might be the attitude about the mask, 10 years ago, it was the smoking policy, for an example, plenty of things guests do can be bothersome.

I have been told by Managers/owners, that they get contacted by those not working on a regular basis, asking about if shifts are available, and that they would be happy to work.

As for COVID, I can tell you that the city watches the COVID numbers very carefully, and have not seen a rise of COVID cases coming from the Resort area. Same with Orange County officials.

Did someone working in the area get COVID? Maybe. But was it from work, or was it some other activity, such as hang out with friends?

Anyways, it has been a busy holiday weekend for the resort area. Well, actually it is dead versus Labor Day 2019, but for the current conditions, things have been good. More locations have opened, and more are planning to do so.

Are things perfect? No, but when have they been?

I would say things are Good. And that is what I have been hearing and seeing. And I have been in the resort area many times a week since July, so that is direct responses from CM's and employees, managers, owners and guests. Plus what my wife and I have seen for ourselves.

And as a person involved in current political campaigns in the area, have not heard things advertising how awful it is to work in the area, something you would expect from certain campaigns or union groups.

And the same basic thing at Knott's. I was having dinner with my wife at the Chicken Dinner restaurant, and our server was a wonderful woman, older than us, who has worked there for many decades. She did say she wanted more shifts, but was very happy to be at work. She missed the interactions with her fellow associates, and even the guests. Yes, she had a few complaints about management, but it seemed directed to the Cedar Fair level, and not the Knott's managers.

She did complain about the outdoor seating, as it was a longer walk to and from the kitchen!

Things happen, and people adapt. We will continue to do so as we continue forward, living our lives.

Happy Labor Day!

Many non-CM's were indeed forced back to work and were not allowed to stay furloughed and keep their unemployment.

The extra $300 a week has not been distributed yet (supposedly starts this week in California) and is expected to only last for three to five weeks.

I've heard from multiple CM's that guest behavior has been somewhat reckless. Some are resisting mask wearing once inside (of course) but there are also large groups from multiple households meeting up together which is a no-no. Some guests are fairly abusive towards CM's regarding safety protocols so many CM's have just given up trying to enforce them. Social distancing is not being enforced whatsoever while walking through Downtown Disney and many narrow areas experience groups of people bunched up with each other.

Make no mistake. The virus is being spread in Downtown Disney to guests and CM's alike. It's only a matter of time before a large outbreak is traced to DTD and when that happens Disney will have a PR nightmare on their hands.

mickEblu

So looks like Wonderground Gallery has turned into a Star Wars outpost. Not sure if this is temporary or not. Wonderground was one of the only unique stores they had. Why does everything have to be so generic now. Guess this is what happens when you gobble up every company in sight and get too big. Of course it could just be a move to boost sales short term but from an overall Disney parks branding perspective I don’t like it.

SSG

So looks like Wonderground Gallery has turned into a Star Wars outpost. Not sure if this is temporary or not. Wonderground was one of the only unique stores they had. Why does everything have to be so generic now. Guess this is what happens when you gobble up every company in sight and get too big. Of course it could just be a move to boost sales short term but from an overall Disney parks branding perspective I don’t like it.
I bet it's to push the lightsabers. They were making a mint on those.

No joke; on my my last trip in February I sat down near Dok Ondar's for about 10 minutes and I saw easily 30 sabers go out the door. That's over $5000 in ten minutes on a weekday in February. I'm just surprised it took Disney this long to get the lightsabers into DTD.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I bet it's to push the lightsabers. They were making a mint on those.

No joke; on my my last trip in February I sat down near Dok Ondar's for about 10 minutes and I saw easily 30 sabers go out the door. That's over $5000 in ten minutes on a weekday in February. I'm just surprised it took Disney this long to get the lightsabers into DTD.

Used to be kind of a good store. That has got to be the most unappealing shop I've ever seen.

Darkbeer1

>>Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge merchandise will be available in the Disney owned and operated WonderGround Gallery for the foreseeable future, according to Disney officials. The WonderGround Gallery will return to Downtown Disney at a later date. <<

DavidDL

Even as a Galaxy's Edge (-and merch) fan, I don't understand the logic in (even temporarily) replacing the gallery with this location. Wife and I loved looking at the artwork when we'd visit. We could never afford one of the actual paintings but we'd sometimes buy the smaller, postcard versions of the ones we really liked.

Isn't there a ton of other real estate that could have been used for this? The Void? The AMC? The ESPN Zone? Rainforest Cafe'?

mandelbrot

Even as a Galaxy's Edge (-and merch) fan, I don't understand the logic in (even temporarily) replacing the gallery with this location. Wife and I loved looking at the artwork when we'd visit. We could never afford one of the actual paintings but we'd sometimes buy the smaller, postcard versions of the ones we really liked.

Isn't there a ton of other real estate that could have been used for this? The Void? The AMC? The ESPN Zone? Rainforest Cafe'?
Like the shop that was there before it (Island Charters) few people who go inside Wonderground actually buy anything. That's probably why they made this change. Cool shop but not a lot of sales. I see your point, though, about utilizing empty spots instead. I don't know why Disney is letting all those spaces sit vacant.

By the way, Island Charters was fabulous! It was by far my favorite shop ever in Downtown Disney. I was sad when Wonderground replaced it but I understood that change.

TP2000

Original Poster
Like the shop that was there before it (Island Charters) few people who go inside Wonderground actually buy anything. That's probably why they made this change. Cool shop but not a lot of sales. I see your point, though, about utilizing empty spots instead. I don't know why Disney is letting all those spaces sit vacant.

By the way, Island Charters was fabulous! It was by far my favorite shop ever in Downtown Disney. I was sad when Wonderground replaced it but I understood that change.

Your post and @DavidDL's post made me realize that I never actually bought anything more expensive than a $5 artsy postcard at Wonderground Gallery.

I'd wander in there, look at the art and think "Huh. So this is what the kids are into now?" and then just wander back out and maybe go get some Beignets next door.

That's probably not a great business model.

But is it a reason to drape the place in dirty tarps to try and sell a warehouse full of unsold Star Wars Land crap made in China? I don't think either one of these options is a good one, but what do I know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom