Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

Darkbeer1

It's 91 degrees here in La Jolla, which is record-breaking heat here. I just looked on Wunderground, and there's a station a few blocks from the Resort that is currently 116 degrees in the shade in central Anaheim. Definitely a new record for the date for Anaheim, and if its official it would break the highest temp ever recorded in Anaheim at 115.

Anyone want to head to Downtown Disney with broad cement walkways for some outdoor dining and mandatory masks at 116 degrees this holiday weekend?.... Anyone?....
Currently at South Coast Plaza, plenty of lines for the high end stores. Nice and cool. Pretty much a normal busy day, but with restaurants closed inside the mall.

Just looked to my left, a decent line for the Disney Store.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
It's 91 degrees here in La Jolla, which is record-breaking heat here. I just looked on Wunderground, and there's a station a few blocks from the Resort that is currently 116 degrees in the shade in central Anaheim. Definitely a new record for the date for Anaheim, and if its official it would break the highest temp ever recorded in Anaheim at 115.

Anyone want to head to Downtown Disney with broad cement walkways for some outdoor dining and mandatory masks at 116 degrees this holiday weekend?.... Anyone?....

Based on what Disney news sites are reporting—and from people currently there—the heat does not deter. Parking was at capacity within an hour of opening yesterday and today. Wait for WoD has been 4 hours. The demand is still there and stronger than ever before I’d say, which is saying something if you are enduring evaporating eyeballs out there just to get in and get that Disney feeling.

I too was as South Coast Plaza and it was a wonderful, comfortable time (so long as you are not on a mission for a specific store that had a long line). I had to wait 40 mins to get into Disney Store just to finally return my too-small masks I got off of ShopDisney.

mandelbrot

I bet if DTD stores and restaurants are having a hard time turning a profit, it’s more to do with trying to operate at such a drastically reduced capacity than of lower demand.
The reduced capacity is the biggest factor no doubt but most people who are going to Downtown Disney these days are skipping the restaurants. This is most pronounced on weekdays when the walkways are relatively crowded while the restaurants are only half full. Considering their reduced capacity that's very bad.

It's wild to me that so many people are going to Downtown Disney seemingly just to walk around. Especially in this heat.

Curious Constance

Here is an excerpt from the new MiceChat DL update today:

1599491783262.png

el_super

It's wild to me that so many people are going to Downtown Disney seemingly just to walk around. Especially in this heat.

It's mostly just people wanting to meet up with friends and hang out (gotta show off those Minnie ears somewhere). For the most part they haven't really been good at practicing social distancing once they are inside either. Without the construct of guidelines (either tape on the ground or planters), people will gather up and ignore any premise of social distancing. It's sad really and uncomfortable for the Cast Members.

Curious Constance

It's mostly just people wanting to meet up with friends and hang out (gotta show off those Minnie ears somewhere). For the most part they haven't really been good at practicing social distancing once they are inside either. Without the construct of guidelines (either tape on the ground or planters), people will gather up and ignore any premise of social distancing. It's sad really and uncomfortable for the Cast Members.
You’ve been there a lot since it opened?

DavidDL

... But you know... even if you don't go, you still hear things. ...

Ah. So you haven’t been back and instead decided to make the claim that the majority of folks going were doing so simply to hang out and show off Minnie ears without any actual numbers or evidence to support said statement and instead decided to reach your assumption based on second hand accounts? Or maybe a CM account or two?

Sounds pretty weak to me. Even if you had heard a story or two of a few CMs being made uncomfortable through word of mouth, that kind of “data” can be spun both ways. As someone who actually went to Downtown Disney two weeks ago for dinner and to pick up a gift for my fathers birthday, I could say that the overwhelming majority of CMs I interacted with (-and there were tons) were absolutely ecstatic to be there. Frankly, they seemed in better spirits than when I lasted visited the parks back in March. Even the security guards were being more cheerful than normal and I even heard one of them discussing with a Guest just how happy and lucky they were to be back.

But despite all that, I still wouldn’t make the foolish claim that the majority of CMs are happy to be there or not nervous like it was some kind of fact, because I don’t have any actual numbers or all the information I’d need to back that claim up. Just like your claim that the majority of folks there are just there to hang out and do nothing but show off Minnie ears. -and besides, it’s not like hanging out and showing off your Disney garb has to be exclusive of actually buying something while in the Downtown Disney district. Guests are able to do both and it seems more unlikely to me that they wouldn’t contribute in some way while they’re there. Even if it’s as small as buying a churro or soda.

Regarding your claims about failed social distancing, though, I will actually back that notion with my most recent experience. While Disney was actually doing a fine job of controlling distancing in lines and where they actually had the power to do so, the walkways of DTD were basically just a giant free for all which they couldn’t seem to realistically control. There just aren’t enough CMs to enforce keeping folks 6 ft apart and confronting every Guest who passed too close to another seems unreasonable especially after the passing of the two people is long over as they head to their various destinations.

They were, however, hardcore enforcing masks while I was there. At least, from my immediate, local experience. There were two instances of folks not wearing their masks that I witnessed (who weren’t seated at a restaurant) and in both moments, a nearby CM immediately told them to put their mask back on, which they did.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there was tape/stickers on the ground and on the planters telling folks where they could and could not stand/sit. In addition, all food stands (even ODV) made sure to inform us before purchasing that walking while eating was not permitted and we’d have to find a proper area to enjoy our snacks. So these constructs and guidelines DO exist.

Last edited:

el_super

Sounds pretty weak to me. Even if you had heard a story or two of a few CMs being made uncomfortable through word of mouth, that kind of “data” can be spun both ways. As someone who actually went to Downtown Disney two weeks ago for dinner and to pick up a gift for my fathers birthday, I could say that the overwhelming majority of CMs I interacted with (-and there were tons) were absolutely ecstatic to be there.

I wouldn't put too much weight on how CMs interact with guests: they are literally paid to be jovial in their interactions.

I would put more weight toward the CMs made so uncomfortable with their working conditions, they are risking their jobs to speak out to the media.

And as always: wash your hands, and stay six feet apart.

mickEblu

Oh I wouldn't go near that place. I'm still trying to prevent catching a deadly disease.

But you know... even if you don't go, you still hear things. And make no mistake: Cast Members are contracting COVID and getting sick.

Personally I’m not going to Disneyland or anywhere in public for that matter until we have a vaccine that’s been proven effective for 5 + years but that’s just me. My son in TK just started his zoom schooling last week and if I have my way he ll be zooming through high school. For homecoming he can dance with his mom or sister.... at home. I’ll DJ.

Darkbeer1

OK, Downtown Disney workers are a mix of CM's and employees of individual locations (aka Patina Group, Sephora, etc.)

Every CM working there are by choice. Everyone of them could have remained on furlough, and collect state unemployment, plus an extra $300 per week. No one was forced to go to work, there was plenty of volunteers.

I have been to DtD two times since they opened in July. I also have contacts in working CM's, employees of restaurants and shops, and also GardenWalk employees, the Pizza Press and some of the Hotels operating.

Basically, they are happy to be back at work and interacting with guests. These folks opted for these type of jobs because they are "people" personalities, and like talking to others. The servers are saying the average tip is higher, and not just due to the fact the average food costs are higher.

The majority of guests are following the rules, and happier than normal. Yes, they complain about certain guests and how they behave, but then, they complained about certain guests for decades now. They will always be there. Today, it might be the attitude about the mask, 10 years ago, it was the smoking policy, for an example, plenty of things guests do can be bothersome.

I have been told by Managers/owners, that they get contacted by those not working on a regular basis, asking about if shifts are available, and that they would be happy to work.

As for COVID, I can tell you that the city watches the COVID numbers very carefully, and have not seen a rise of COVID cases coming from the Resort area. Same with Orange County officials.

Did someone working in the area get COVID? Maybe. But was it from work, or was it some other activity, such as hang out with friends?

Anyways, it has been a busy holiday weekend for the resort area. Well, actually it is dead versus Labor Day 2019, but for the current conditions, things have been good. More locations have opened, and more are planning to do so.

Are things perfect? No, but when have they been?

I would say things are Good. And that is what I have been hearing and seeing. And I have been in the resort area many times a week since July, so that is direct responses from CM's and employees, managers, owners and guests. Plus what my wife and I have seen for ourselves.

And as a person involved in current political campaigns in the area, have not heard things advertising how awful it is to work in the area, something you would expect from certain campaigns or union groups.

And the same basic thing at Knott's. I was having dinner with my wife at the Chicken Dinner restaurant, and our server was a wonderful woman, older than us, who has worked there for many decades. She did say she wanted more shifts, but was very happy to be at work. She missed the interactions with her fellow associates, and even the guests. Yes, she had a few complaints about management, but it seemed directed to the Cedar Fair level, and not the Knott's managers.

She did complain about the outdoor seating, as it was a longer walk to and from the kitchen!

Things happen, and people adapt. We will continue to do so as we continue forward, living our lives.

Happy Labor Day!

Darkbeer1

Wow, it sounds like some folks have a problem with HIPPA, the federal law that prevents companies from disclosing health issues of their staff.

That is not a Disney issue, but a general issue for all companies right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom