Done they were. Lied they did.

KeithVH

And Michael Stackpole is a pretty decent space opera writer. Did a boatload of enjoyable MechWarrior. So he gets the concept of multiple story spans that are part of a bigger whole. And also several SW books (Rogue Squadron, New Jedi Order, and I,Jedi for example).

Tony Perkis

Yeah. We can still hold on to hope that they'll keep Ruin J away from anything related to SW.

And I don't watch GoT, but it sounds like Benioff and Weiss is not ending that series really well. 😟

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Where are you getting the GOT hate from?

The third episode of the season had poor cinematography, but no one is really complaining about the action or story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The third episode of the season had poor cinematography, but no one is really complaining about the action or story.

I think the pace is still too fast. But other than the “dark episode”...I think they have set the characters up brilliantly through foreshadowing - especially episode 4 - that the ending will be perfect.

Not everyone is gonna be happy...but that wouldn’t fit the show anyway.

A lot of reddit hate toward episode 4...it’s gonna end up being one the series best in retrospect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did I mention that I liked the movies?

And the Kathleen Kennedy is still working there?

You did...

But it doesn’t cover her being taken out of the public light, the last johnson flatlining in 4 weeks at the box office, solo completely bombing to a write down, or the reports of as much as a 40-50% drop in revenue from merchandise.

I know...people are tired. Except of anything with a marvel label on it. And Disney live action remakes. And Pixar movies.

Just coincidence.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

The action is breathtaking. Especially considering the medium. The show itself, completely off the rails. I actually don't know any book readers who are happy with what's happened to the story. It's been rushed, and abridged, and cut to pieces. And the pieces they took out are the most important ones!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The action is breathtaking. Especially considering the medium. The show itself, completely off the rails. I actually don't know any book readers who are happy with what's happened to the story. It's been rushed, and abridged, and cut to pieces. And the pieces they took out are the most important ones!

This is where I have a “book reader” grudge:

There are NO books.

Cheeseburger Martin got drunk off his fame has spent 10 years doing comic cons. He had his shot to determine where it went and he didn’t do it. Lazy -
Frankly.

I hear this “when the books come out...” all the time. It’s never happening.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is where I have a “book reader” grudge:

There are NO books.

Cheeseburger Martin got drunk off his fame has spent 10 years doing comic cons. He had his shot to determine where it went and he didn’t do it. Lazy -
Frankly.

I hear this “when the books come out...” all the time. It’s never happening.
Doesn't really matter if the new books come out or not. The published works are still masterpieces. FWIW, there is approximately 0.0% chance old Georgie boy finishes the series. Which I think is horse plop. I am of the belief that the consumers and the creator make a deal when you are doing a series. We buy the books and make you rich. You give us a complete story. When you fail to deliver you have broken that contract. Patrick Rothfuss are you reading this????

Now, about the show....

The whole appeal of this story is the depth of it. The history, the fantasy, the prophecies, the magic. D&D in their mad dash for the finish line have chucked that all into the trash. And the show has suffered immensely from it. Every single dumbass choice these characters are making now, is just in the interest of advancing the plot. It's become a braindead action movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Doesn't really matter if the new books come out or not. The published works are still masterpieces. FWIW, there is approximately 0.0% chance old Georgie boy finishes the series. Which I think is horse plop. I am of the belief that the consumers and the creator make a deal when you are doing a series. We buy the books and make you rich. You give us a complete story. When you fail to deliver you have broken that contract. Patrick Rothfuss are you reading this????

Now, about the show....

The whole appeal of this story is the depth of it. The history, the fantasy, the prophecies, the magic. D&D in their mad dash for the finish line have chucked that all into the trash. And the show has suffered immensely from it. Every single dumbass choice these characters are making now, is just in the interest of advancing the plot. It's become a braindead action movie.

I understand that....but you know that long detail tedious books cannot be adapted directly from page to film.

Undead zombie moms and 50 page diatribes about what people are wearing/eating at banquets doesn’t play.

It was definitely easier/better at the beginning - no question...but that was before the prices for everything got high.

The best print to screen adaptation I’ve scene was the hunt for red October. A 260 page book to a 2 hour movie.

The sum of all fears was a 900 page (ish) book that was crap. Clear and present danger was 750 that was crap.

See where I’m going here??

The pacing does suck. And the mistakes are infuriating...had two huge ones in 15 minutes the other day that any plausible character wouldn’t make. There was one scene in the 6th episode last year that is just ridiculous...

I just hope they finish out the characters in a decent way. I think they have a chance...but will they?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I understand that....but you know that long detail tedious books cannot be adapted directly from page to film.

Undead zombie moms and 50 page diatribes about what people are wearing/eating at banquets doesn’t play.

It was definitely easier/better at the beginning - no question...but that was before the prices for everything got high.

The best print to screen adaptation I’ve scene was the hunt for red October. A 260 page book to a 2 hour movie.

The sum of all fears was a 900 page (ish) book that was crap. Clear and present danger was 750 that was crap.

Except this wasn't crap. It was great. D&D did a wondrous job adapting A Song of Ice and Fire to the screen for years and years. Once they had to be the main creative force though, the whole thing went to hell in a handbasket. It's no longer a song of ice and fire, it's like a pretty sweet action/war flick.

edit to add a counter point for adaptations being crap...

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except this wasn't crap. It was great. D&D did a wondrous job adapting A Song of Ice and Fire to the screen for years and years. Once they had to be the main creative force though, the whole thing went to hell in a handbasket. It's no longer a song of ice and fire, it's like a pretty sweet action/war flick.

edit to add a counter point for adaptations being crap...

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

7.5 hours of film to lord of the rings is enough time. How many for Harry Potter? 17?

Well D&D had to shoot 35 ish on absolutely nothing. The goofy quit writing!!

It was all about Vegas!!

The main mistake they made was not mapping out in season 4 how to get to “the end” on a similar pace. Shoulda stuck to a plan.

Like not letting Dian Johnson write that the cruiser was running out of magic gas...

...wait...I need coffee...😴

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster

The pacing does suck. And the mistakes are infuriating...had two huge ones in 15 minutes the other day that any plausible character wouldn’t make. There was one scene in the 6th episode last year that is just ridiculous...

I just hope they finish out the characters in a decent way. I think they have a chance...but will they?
I think you are forgetting the two Stephen king book to film adaptations,
The green mile
&
The Shawshank redemption.

Oh and I think you meant " I have seen" not scene 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are forgetting the two Stephen king book to film adaptations,
The green mile
&
The Shawshank redemption.

Oh and I think you meant " I have seen" not scene 😉

Correct...there have been others. Definitely Shawshank and others.

I actually loved davinci code...thought the attempt at angels and demons was terrible though.

LSLS

I've charts that say 'yes.'

With the exception of one.

So I'm very much a pessimist on Star Wars at this point, so let me counter with what I would worry about from a Disney perspective. That exception is the most recent one. And it was such a large thud they actually changed their entire plans with the franchise. And since I'm already being pessimistic, the REALLY large worry for me would be that most (even the "Haters") seem to say that Solo was a decent film. From what I have heard, it was fun. So, the word of mouth is not why that movie bombed. That would be a big worry for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So I'm very much a pessimist on Star Wars at this point, so let me counter with what I would worry about from a Disney perspective. That exception is the most recent one. And it was such a large thud they actually changed their entire plans with the franchise. And since I'm already being pessimistic, the REALLY large worry for me would be that most (even the "Haters") seem to say that Solo was a decent film. From what I have heard, it was fun. So, the word of mouth is not why that movie bombed. That would be a big worry for me.

Solo was better to watch than the last Jedi...not close. It may have been more “fun” than force awakens too.

It was a protest of 8...that was predicted before it opened and scoffed at by Disney defenders...and as typically predictable the Star Wars fans were right. It has always been foolish to tell Star Wars fans they don’t know Star Wars.
They do...that’s the engine behind it making over $100 billion in licensed revenue for 40 years.

I don’t tell Harry Potter fans they don’t know the nuance of the books. That would be stupid, wouldn’t it?

I get that many Star Wars fans thought solo was unnecessary...and some
Wouldn’t go. But most would have anyway. They didn’t.

Don’t believe me...believe rain johnson...who CONTINUES to Twitter battle with the public about his terrible idea.

But right...only 5 angry trolls in mom’s basement.

Lucasfilm has been mostly in witness protection for a year now. We hear next to nothing?

Even the abrams “teaser” came out way late. And it isn’t good. Mark hamill overlay and pictures of a lady that’s dead for going on 3 years??

I dunno...maybe macdiarmid will be cool and they’ll get Vader in it somehow?

Better than 2 hours of Rey and Finn

Last edited:

erasure fan1

the REALLY large worry for me would be that most (even the "Haters") seem to say that Solo was a decent film. From what I have heard, it was fun. So, the word of mouth is not why that movie bombed. That would be a big worry for me.
Solo was a good movie, very fun just like you said. So many factors went into the movie not doing as well as it should have. backlash from last jedi, not moving it to December because of Poppins, not many people wanted a Solo movie, putting it too close to avengers just to name a few. The funny thing about the "word of mouth" on Solo was it didn't happen till it hit home video and streaming. That is when I started hearing from friends and people at work say things like, it was good, I should have seen it in the theater. The worry for me is not star wars dying, it is Disney not recognizing the mistake they made in keeping Kennedy in charge. If Disney continues with her, then you have a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom