Done they were. Lied they did.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster

erasure fan1

Yea they never said that star wars was done. But they haven't stopped talking about the end of the Skywalker saga. They have always talked about new movies after ep9. While in post production for last jedi Kennedy said Rian Johnson was penning a trilogy. I am not convinced the Johnson trilogy will happen. I'd rather they focus on Benioff and Weiss.

tk924

I am not convinced the Johnson trilogy will happen. I'd rather they focus on Benioff and Weiss.

Yeah. We can still hold on to hope that they'll keep Ruin J away from anything related to SW.

And I don't watch GoT, but it sounds like Benioff and Weiss is not ending that series really well. 😟

I've got a bad feeling about this.

erasure fan1

Yeah. We can still hold on to hope that they'll keep Ruin J away from anything related to SW.

And I don't watch GoT, but it sounds like Benioff and Weiss is not ending that series really well. 😟

I've got a bad feeling about this.
I've watched all of game of Thrones, and while I haven't been a huge fan, I like the stuff that hasn't followed the books the most. Watching last season and so far the first 4 episodes this season, has been the shows I like the most. I think if they go old republic, it could be pretty cool. There is plenty of inspiration to draw from if they want. Unfortunately if Kennedy is still in the picture, I'm sure she won't allow them to draw from some of the great stuff thats been done. Like Feige does with the mcu.

Janir

I'm actually happy about them taking a break. They had soo much trying to go in the pipeline that they need to reasses what they are doing. Last Jedi and Solo did not turn out nearly what they wanted and needed for tent-pole movies in what should have been slam dunk, we're printing our own money here movies. Kennedy bears the brunt of it, and yet Iger can't get change horse midstream either. So stop the flow at the tap, figure out what went wrong properly and what you need to do to fix it, then start fixing it. They have too many other plans relating to Star Wars, like SWGE, and D+ offerings that they need to make sure the base is properly protected and solid for years to come.

CaptainAmerica

With the core Skywalker family.
Where did you get that? It specifically says the opposite of that.

EDIT: Unless you're responding to the OP by saying "Disney is done... with the core Skywalker saga, i.e. Disney never said they were done with Star Wars," in which case I agree.

Disney said "pause" on Star Wars overall and "done" with the numbered Skywalker saga. This is still true.

erasure fan1

Same here. I hope @Sirwalterraleigh , @LSLS , @Mike S find this thread to help out in case some of the "Blindly Love Everything Star Wars" defenders we've gradually evicted from the other thread find their way over here. This series had its final nail put into the coffin back in 2017.
Final nail in the coffin? I'm not going to say everything is 100% awesome with star wars. Just looking at endgame and how masterfully that was handled shows you that. Star wars has a following unlike any other. And even if ep9 is bad and completely bombs. All it will take is one good movie and everyone is back on board like nothing ever happened. Star wars is far from dead or dying. Do they have an issue with the direction of the franchise? Sure. But that is why the next movie is 3yrs off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Final nail in the coffin? I'm not going to say everything is 100% awesome with star wars. Just looking at endgame and how masterfully that was handled shows you that. Star wars has a following unlike any other. And even if ep9 is bad and completely bombs. All it will take is one good movie and everyone is back on board like nothing ever happened. Star wars is far from dead or dying. Do they have an issue with the direction of the franchise? Sure. But that is why the next movie is 3yrs off.

I would say...without diving completely down the rabbit hole...

That Star Wars isn’t “dead”...but it’s time as the biggest movie/pop culture franchise seems to be completely over. It is still a highly lucrative property...but it’s time as “must see” doesn’t seem to be coming back.

If you look at the Disney franchises - the key ones - ask yourself which ones have the better futures as of today?

1. Star Wars
2. Marvel
3. Princesses
4. Classic Disney cartoons (ducks and mice)
5. Pixar properties

I don’t think you can honestly not put Star Wars on the bottom of that list? How?

We have Disney fans/defenders here and we have Star Wars fans/defenders here...

Believe it or not - I’m both. Especially about the economic and cultural significance of them.

But I’m brutally pragmatic when I read the tea leaves.

Like this 6 am “extra magic hours stuff”. Be afraid...very...

I was in the park/line at 7 am last August for slinky dog and the “standby” without fastpass was 115 minutes at 7:08.

Be VERY afraid what’s coming.

Anyway...we have to be honest about Star Wars - as a first generation, over the top of the trench defender from 1980....that’s hard for me to say.

They need a complete clearing of the decks and rebuild. Not reboot - rebuild. Start making material that resonates from a character and technology standpoint.

Mistakes were made...by Lucas...ALOT By Disney...

Mistakes must be fixed.

LSLS

1. Star Wars
2. Marvel
3. Princesses
5. Pixar properties

I don’t think you can honestly not put Star Wars on the bottom of that list? How?

That's really what I've been stuck on. But look at those, and put them in order 6 or 7 years ago. Again, the idea Star Wars is dead is stupid. It's significantly hurt. I don't THINK it's irreversibly damaged (meaning I think they can win everyone back with a ton of work eventually). But the fact this finale's trailer is less than half of the Avenger finale trailer is just shocking to me. JT actually posted something that made me REALLY worried about the numbers this move will post without even meaning to do it.

I actually don't think 9 is going to have a large impact on the Star Wars future unless it gets as poorly received by a lot of fans as Last Jedi was. And if you want to know why I'm worried about 9, that would be it. If they thought they had a home run where they had a big master plan bringing everything back together and winning all the fans back, they would not wait 3 years and lose that momentum. My guess is it will be good, it will tie things up best it can, and Disney is going to hope this all can fade away.

tk924

It is sad to think of something that a lot of us grew up with and hold very dear to our hearts even to this day is in decline and may never be what it once was ever again.

Oh, and if you're a BO numbers person, then check this out. Star Wars has a loooong way to go to get back on top. I doubt it can.
You'll want to click on the graph title to open the link and make it bigger for viewing the small text.

erasure fan1

If you look at the Disney franchises - the key ones - ask yourself which ones have the better futures as of today?

1. Star Wars
2. Marvel
3. Princesses
5. Pixar properties

Actually I would say it's number 2. Pixar we will see how things go but I haven't been overly impressed lately. Classic Disney and princesses will sell merch but not box office. I still think a good star wars movie will always be a must see. If a guy like Feige or maybe Feige himself, takes over star wars, we are most likely singing a completely different tune.

Mike S

Same here. I hope @Sirwalterraleigh , @LSLS , @Mike S find this thread to help out in case some of the "Blindly Love Everything Star Wars" defenders we've gradually evicted from the other thread find their way over here. This series had its final nail put into the coffin back in 2017.
Eviction was never my intent. I’m always up for a civil discussion if both sides remain civil. I don’t think it’s impossible for someone who loves the new movies and someone who hates them to calmly discuss their disagreements. If someone claps at me though I’ll clap right back.

LSLS

Actually I would say it's number 2. Pixar we will see how things go but I haven't been overly impressed lately. Classic Disney and princesses will sell merch but not box office. I still think a good star wars movie will always be a must see. If a guy like Feige or maybe Feige himself, takes over star wars, we are most likely singing a completely different tune.

We will get a good read. Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 also come out this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think you’re way off...you are misreading the box office of the farce awakens -which had nothing to do with the quality of the movie - as indicative of the state of Star Wars.

And overlooking this: black panther made $1.3 bil and captain marvel $1.2 bil... while they could get NO ONE to watch a movie about Han Solo and the falcon with the mother of dragons and Donald Glover in it.

Don’t believe Disney’s excuses on that....it is a huge problem.

I got another:
I read a respected industry guy predict which movie was gonna be the biggest this year - the battle of the juggernauts - and guess which his analysis said?

Multiple choice:
1. The return of the abrams
2. Woody 4
3. Endgame
4. Lion king

As in pick one? I think he got 1 and 2 wrong...but guess which one was 4?

Last edited:

jt04

Star Wars will be back in December to crush cynical tropes.

The franchise does need a bit of course correcting and is getting that. This will always be the case for all versions of this new era of cinema.

Being second in earning potential at this point in cinema history is the envy of every other studio not named Marvel.

It will be first again. Bookmark my words.

PS- Endgame will likely finish second to Star Wars Episode 7 all time domestic without even factoring inflation. JJ remains the champ. In my opinion. We will know for sure in a few days.

Deal with it. 😊

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom