Done they were. Lied they did.

LSLS

Solo was a good movie, very fun just like you said. So many factors went into the movie not doing as well as it should have. backlash from last jedi, not moving it to December because of Poppins, not many people wanted a Solo movie, putting it too close to avengers just to name a few. The funny thing about the "word of mouth" on Solo was it didn't happen till it hit home video and streaming. That is when I started hearing from friends and people at work say things like, it was good, I should have seen it in the theater. The worry for me is not star wars dying, it is Disney not recognizing the mistake they made in keeping Kennedy in charge. If Disney continues with her, then you have a problem.

Don't disagree at all. I don't worry about it dying, but I would be worried about if it can regain what it had. But it all starts with getting someone in charge who has a plan and general direction. Until that happens, I don't think it can sniff Marvel (unless Marvel somehow falters).

As for Solo, I had heard it was good in theaters, but I just was not excited for it.

erasure fan1

Don't disagree at all. I don't worry about it dying, but I would be worried about if it can regain what it had. But it all starts with getting someone in charge who has a plan and general direction. Until that happens, I don't think it can sniff Marvel (unless Marvel somehow falters).

As for Solo, I had heard it was good in theaters, but I just was not excited for it.
Unfortunately Im not sure anyone will be able to sniff Marvel, maybe Marvel wont be able to sniff Marvel. What they did with the infinity saga was/is unprecidented in cinema. And while Star wars is my hearts number one franchise, the MCU has given me the closest to the experience I had with the original trilogy. But you are right, it will start with new leadership. It is pretty well cliche at this point but Star Wars needs its Feige. But will Disney see this and fix it, that is the question.

Tony Perkis

The action is breathtaking. Especially considering the medium. The show itself, completely off the rails. I actually don't know any book readers who are happy with what's happened to the story. It's been rushed, and abridged, and cut to pieces. And the pieces they took out are the most important ones!
I’ve never read the books, so any sort of comparison to them is completely irrelevant in my eyes.

Wendy Pleakley

Where are you getting the GOT hate from?

The third episode of the season had poor cinematography, but no one is really complaining about the action or story.

Definitely a lot of criticism from people who have read the books. I haven't read them, and I enjoyed the post-book episodes, but I do see where people are coming from based on their comments. You don't have to have read the books to see a difference.

It can be hard to gauge an overall reaction online though, because the most critical people tend to be the most vocal. It makes me second guess reading reactions. Same with Star Wars. I liked TLJ, and hearing differing opinions is fine to a point, but the obsessiveness and negativity feels really over the top. It feels like if anyone even starts to say "Star Wa..." they're immediately interrupted by people who need to remind us that Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars, for the thousandth time.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I’ve never read the books, so any sort of comparison to them is completely irrelevant in my eyes.
Did I compare the books and the show?

I said, any book readers I know are disappointed with the direction the show took.

That’s not a comparison. I am comparing the show with source material to the show without source material and the quality and story telling have fallen off a cliff.

Tony Perkis

Did I compare the books and the show?

I said, any book readers I know are disappointed with the direction the show took.

That’s not a comparison. I am comparing the show with source material to the show without source material and the quality and story telling have fallen off a cliff.
Indirectly, yes, you did compare them to the books.

By citing the opinions of people who have read them, you’re indicating that their thoughts stem from their prior exposure to the books.

Particularly, specifically referencing certain plot points as abridged implies a direct comparison.

Tony Perkis

Definitely a lot of criticism from people who have read the books. I haven't read them, and I enjoyed the post-book episodes, but I do see where people are coming from based on their comments. You don't have to have read the books to see a difference.

It can be hard to gauge an overall reaction online though, because the most critical people tend to be the most vocal. It makes me second guess reading reactions. Same with Star Wars. I liked TLJ, and hearing differing opinions is fine to a point, but the obsessiveness and negativity feels really over the top. It feels like if anyone even starts to say "Star Wa..." they're immediately interrupted by people who need to remind us that Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars, for the thousandth time.
People who are too emotionally invested in properties tend to provide the most exaggerated debate, no matter the subject matter.

When I speak in generalities, I speak largely about the general consensus, not the reaction from individuals who fall into the camp referenced in my prior paragraph.

For example, the general consensus is that Captain Marvel is a fun, entertaining film. I think it’s an absolute piece of dog feces, but I know what the popular opinion of the film is.

Calling out GOT as a show that’s dropped off a cliff in quality just seems like an overreaction by a minority of viewers. Now, if you wanted to use that criticism on a show like House of Cards on Netflix, I would say that’s probably a much more accurate assessment.

erasure fan1

Well, I mean, if the shoe fits.
Ive said it before, don't blame Johnson, you have to blame Kennedy for allowing him to make "his" movie. I don't believe Johnsons vision for star wars is the best for the franchise. But as long as someone like Kennedy is involved, the overall vision is going to be wrong.

Tony Perkis

Solo was a good movie, very fun just like you said. So many factors went into the movie not doing as well as it should have. backlash from last jedi, not moving it to December because of Poppins, not many people wanted a Solo movie, putting it too close to avengers just to name a few. The funny thing about the "word of mouth" on Solo was it didn't happen till it hit home video and streaming. That is when I started hearing from friends and people at work say things like, it was good, I should have seen it in the theater. The worry for me is not star wars dying, it is Disney not recognizing the mistake they made in keeping Kennedy in charge. If Disney continues with her, then you have a problem.
Honestly, Solo is the complete embodiment of everything that is wrong with Star Wars, and I don’t mean at all in regards whether you enjoyed it or not.

Solo is the worst kind of film: bland. It’s pedestrian, it takes no risks, it doesn’t further any of the characters on any emotional or narrative arc, and it doesn’t provide needed backstory to support its existence.

Now, again, I don’t care about whether you liked it or not, just like I don’t care if people liked or disliked The Last Jedi.

TLJ took significant risks with its story and characters, which I loved, and I understand why many people would have an equally negative reaction to it, but at least it tries something new. It tried to break Star Wars out of its own formula to justify its purpose. Solo is just another movie that really brings nothing new to the table. You could almost just retitle it “Fan Service: A Star Wars Story”, and it’d be as accurate as its actual title.

erasure fan1

Honestly, Solo is the complete embodiment of everything that is wrong with Star Wars, and I don’t mean at all in regards whether you enjoyed it or not.

Solo is the worst kind of film: bland. It’s pedestrian, it takes no risks, it doesn’t further any of the characters on any emotional or narrative arc, and it doesn’t provide needed backstory to support its existence.

Now, again, I don’t care about whether you liked it or not, just like I don’t care if people liked or disliked The Last Jedi.

TLJ took significant risks with its story and characters, which I loved, and I understand why many people would have an equally negative reaction to it, but at least it tries something new. It tried to break Star Wars out of its own formula to justify its purpose. Solo is just another movie that really brings nothing new to the table. You could almost just retitle it “Fan Service: A Star Wars Story”, and it’d be as accurate as its actual title.
While I did enjoy Solo, at the same time I believe it was an unnecessary film. The funny part about calling it "Fan service" is that none of the fans really wanted it. So yes, that is a problem with star wars and it all goes back to Kennedy like I've been saying. I will say, I don't believe that fan service is a bad thing. If done the right way (see endgame) it can be amazing. It just has to be done right and it has to be the fan service the fans want to see. You can't just say "hey, everyone loved Yoda, lets make a movie about him!!!" that isn't the way to do it.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster

Same as Rouge one then ...

Wendy Pleakley

I don’t know why fan service is considered a bad word in some circles. A movie full of the right kind of fan service just made $2 Billion in record time.

I mean it’s fine if you don’t like money, but then just say that.

There needs to be a balance between giving the fans exactly what they want, and delivering an interesting and unpredictable story.

Game of Thrones was often the opposite of fan service, killing off popular heroes and throwing the audience for a loop time and time again. It's still one of the most popular TV shows of all time.

Solo was fun, but it felt like they were checking off a list of things required in a Han Solo origin movie. Was it too focused on fan service?

Avengers is a great example of a movie delivering fan service but still surprising the audience in a lot of ways.

Fan service is bad if that's all we get, or stories are changed to pander and avoid any backlash.

Mike S

There needs to be a balance between giving the fans exactly what they want, and delivering an interesting and unpredictable story.

Game of Thrones was often the opposite of fan service, killing off popular heroes and throwing the audience for a loop time and time again. It's still one of the most popular TV shows of all time.

Solo was fun, but it felt like they were checking off a list of things required in a Han Solo origin movie. Was it too focused on fan service?

Avengers is a great example of a movie delivering fan service but still surprising the audience in a lot of ways.

Fan service is bad if that's all we get, or stories are changed to pander and avoid any backlash.
The way I understand it that’s what drew people in about GoT, the unpredictability. One thing I saw is that in the final stretch it’s actually becoming predictable. If that’s the type of story you built your specific fanbase on it’s still fan service to continue that direction.

Solo was very average to me, Rogue One was batter with much better characters to boot. Imo they’re better than the heroes of the main trilogy as well.

If a story might cause backlash, yes, there’s a very good reason to not go that direction. You can do interesting new things without ing off a huge chunk of your fans just so you can feel artistic.

Tony Perkis

I don’t know why fan service is considered a bad word in some circles. A movie full of the right kind of fan service just made $2 Billion in record time.

I mean it’s fine if you don’t like money, but then just say that.
This viewpoint over-simplifies the issue with fan service.

The fan service in Endgame helped progress the plot and its characters. That’s acceptable fan service.

The fan service in films like Solo did nothing of the sort. They existed as nothing but winks and nods to fans that want to cheer at something familiar. It’s poor writing.

Tony Perkis

Beat me to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom