Does Eating At A Disney Resort Count?

DSNYKID

Original Poster
Shall we define three official categories?

1) Vacation/Holiday
Parts of at least two consecutive calendar days on WDW property, with at least one entry into one of the four major theme parks.

2) Grand Excursion
Part of merely one calendar day on WDW property, with at least one entry into one of the four major theme parks.

3) Excursion
Part of merely one calendar day on WDW property, with no entries into the four major theme parks.

;)

Very nice... but if you eat at Boardwalk, we're you at Disney World?

SirNim

1), 2), or 3), it doesn't matter, you're officially "at" the World... It's just to "what extent" you're at the World.
I like that. :wave:
We need to add an option for a multi-day excursion with NO entries into the parks whatsoever. We can call it:

4) "The Parks Ain't My Bag, Baby, Yet I Still Love to Visit the World" Excursion
Parts of at least two consecutive calendar days on WDW property, with no entries into the four major theme parks.

ThinkTink721

As long as Disney got some of your money, you might as well say you took a trip to Disney World...

However...then you could argue the difference between a trip and a vacation. Dinner at the Boardwalk is not a vacation, and therefore doesn't really count. :)
O.K., I looked it up :D Webster's defines a vacation as
(a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation)
Eating could be recreation.:)
So...it would count, right?
:ROFLOL:

Kriszee1

I believe...that unless you are staying in a disney resort or any resort overnight after having that dinner, you are technically not on a vacation at all, you went out to dinner. I don't head down to the Friday's 3 towns down and call it a vacation. When you use the word trip, I would assume you'd mean a vacation. You might have had a trip to Orlando, but I wouldn't consider a full on Disney vacation. How perplexing and philosophical this conversation is!

ThinkTink721

I believe...that unless you are staying in a disney resort or any resort overnight after having that dinner, you are technically not on a vacation at all, you went out to dinner. I don't head down to the Friday's 3 towns down and call it a vacation. When you use the word trip, I would assume you'd mean a vacation. You might have had a trip to Orlando, but I wouldn't consider a full on Disney vacation. How perplexing and philosophical this conversation is!
Hey...when you have 3 small children & you get out of the house...even to eat dinner...w/out the children...it's a vacation!:lol:

DSNYKID

Original Poster

The question is not weather a dinner at Boardwalk is a vacation, but rather can you tell someone that you have been to Disney World if you ate a meal at Boardwalk.

For example:
Let's just say that I've been to the Boardwalk for dinner. Besides that, I've never been to anything within 100 miles of Disney World. A few weeks later, while at work someone asks me... hey DSNYKID, have you ever been to Disney World? Can I answer yes or no?

ThinkTink721

The question is not weather a dinner at Boardwalk is a vacation, but rather can you tell someone that you have been to Disney World if you ate a meal at Boardwalk.

For example:
Let's just say that I've been to the Boardwalk for dinner. Besides that, I've never been to anything within 100 miles of Disney World. A few weeks later, while at work someone asks me... hey DSNYKID, have you ever been to Disney World? Can I answer yes or no?
I would say it counts...they were on Disney property:)

davidpw97

For example:

I think you can answer yes to this question but be prepared to answer more questions. If you say yes then you'll get things like, What rides did you go on? what parks did you go to? etc. . . . and then you'd have to explain that although techinally you were on disney property you only went to dinner there. Twice in the last year I spent time on Disney property without going to a park but I still consider those Disney vacations. The easier answer is definitly no though becaue it needs no explanation.

I'd like to visit all 50 state in my lifetime. When someone asks if I've been to California I always say yes, even though when I was in LA, I never left the airport, so I think it counts if all you did was eat dinner there, you were still there.

tampabrad

I you experience some part of WDW, then yes, it is a trip to WDW. You may not have gone to a theme park in WDW, but you were in WDW at one of the resorts or entertainment areas.

If you drive through WDW and don't stop to experience anything but the signage, then no, you have not made a trip to WDW. It is kind of like driving through a state or a short layover at an airport. In that case, you are passing through, but it was never a destination. I personally have been to Atlanta countless times, yet never left the airport, so I have never made a trip to Atlanta.

davidpw97

I you experience some part of WDW, then yes, it is a trip to WDW. You may not have gone to a theme park in WDW, but you were in WDW at one of the resorts or entertainment areas.

If you drive through WDW and don't stop to experience anything but the signage, then no, you have not made a trip to WDW. It is kind of like driving through a state or a short layover at an airport. In that case, you are passing through, but it was never a destination. I personally have been to Atlanta countless times, yet never left the airport, so I have never made a trip to Atlanta.

If someone were to ask you if you've ever been to Atlanta what would you say? I think you'd probably say Yes, so it should count.

Also, you said if you experience part of something then its considered a trip. Well I live near Atlanta and you've probably visited the best part of town, the part where you actually get to leave. Plus visiting the airport is not too different than visiting downtown, you have a crowded subway train, tons of foreigners, bad air, horrible traffic, no trees and it takes you forever to get anywhere. Now if only the airport had prostitutes, bums, and drunks begging for money, you could experience the best of ATL without ever leaving the terminal. Trust me, you have experienced nearly all that Atlanta has to offer.

Vernonpush

I think it all depends on your destination. If your main goal was to go to WDW property, then it was a trip to WDW. If your main goal was to go to USO, and you just happened to take 192 that took you through WDW, then no, it was a trip to Universal not Disney World.

MattyFresh

At first I wanted to say that no you had not taken a trip to disney....just went out for dinner with a really nice atmosphere....then I got to thinking about one day my family drove to Williamsburg Va. just to eat at one of the taverns....yes we considered that a trip to Colonial Williamsburg, so I guess I would have to say you took a trip to disney.

NASAMan

DSNYKD-

Let's change your scenario just a bit. Let's say you have the ability to enter a park at no additional expence (free comp ticket, annual pass, cast member guest, whatever), and you decide to have dinner at Epcot's Rose and Crown in England. You enter the park, walk to dinner, eat, and leave. Now, is that a visit to Walt Disney World? Sure it is! No one would dispute it (I believe! :) )! Take it one step further. Park at the Boardwalk, take the Friendship to the International Gate at Epcot, and then eat at the Rose and Crown. See where I'm going with this? If you parked at Boardwalk, and ate at ESPN or Jelly Rolls, you are still at the Walt Disney World Resort. Maybe you took the Friendship to the Swan and Dolphin to check out the lobbies, or rented a velocepede to pedal around the lagoon after dinner. Or visit the Fantasia Minigolf before dinner. A visit to WDW does not mean a ticket to a park must be purchased.

The only thing I would not count is the times we cut through property to get from Clairmont to the Gaylord Palms area. Eating at Downtown Disney? Yes, a visit to the resort. Shopping there? Sure, a visit. The resort is huge and there are many things to do while there, whether staying on propety or off, to not say you visited Walt Disney World when you enter any of their many diverse facilities.

Glasgow

I think if you are a big enough Disney geek to argue about what constitutues the very fine criteria of the definition of a Disney trip, anything you do on Disney PROPERTY counts as a 'trip'.

Vernonpush

I'm sure there are some who honeymoon at WDW and eat at V&A, have a couples' spa treatment, see Cirque, golf, breakfast at O'hana, go clubbing at PI and never set foot in a park. I'm sure that they would consider it a "trip to WDW".

Gorjus

I have been to the Minn/St. Paul airport about 20 times. I never stepped foot outside the airport and experienced the cities. So while I have been to the airport, I have never been to Minn/St. Paul.

I have taken teens to Typhoon for the day. Drove 3 hours up, spent the day and drove 3 hours back. We experienced Disney. It was a visit.

We have come up for the weekend to cheer someone on at the Disney Marathon. We never entered a park, but we stayed at the Grand Floridian. We experienced Disney.

I have been assigned to work in the Orlando area for 2 weeks. This was before Florida Resident Passes were invented. I couldn't afford to go into the parks after work every day. So, I would go to Downtown Disney, Fort Wilderness, ride the monorails, explore the hotels, watch Illuminations (barely) from the International Gateway. I never stayed in a Disney hotel, and never went into a park, but I experienced Disney.

If you can hear the music, smell the smells, see the sights, and get the Disney feel; if your feet hurt a bit at the end of a day because walking anywhere, even to a restaurant is a long haul, then you have had a Disney visit.

Since1976

We all have our own ideas of what constitutes Disney magic. Have you ever found yourself daydreaming about an area of the resort that is outside of the theme parks? Most likely, the answer is yes. So, I would not count that experience out.

Your state of mind definitely counts for something, though. If you go just because you're hungry, wouldn't you say that you've cheapened the WDW experience just a bit by considering that bite a trip to Disney?

If you're the type who goes to Jelly Rolls a lot, it would be more accurate to say that you've been to that particular club many times, not simply "WDW."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom