Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

celluloid

Orange county is at 9% and trending down

That is good news, but still nearly double the 3-5 and on the lower end from what I have seen county wise in the large state that Florida is. The Theme parks can't surive well on just Florida alone just as they cannot survive on just half of the counties feeling comfortable about visiting. Other schoolboards will also feel pressure form the ones that make the larger decisions. Maybe it will continue to lower by the time it opens. At least the extra weeks will have more info than we did before. I definitely listen to the pediatritions.

You can't really decrease operating hours much more. The majority of your full time employees need to keep 32 hours a week.
If schools delay or close, they are not going to stay open to lose more money and look terrible or be terrible if things raise fast with guests or staff.
Opening certain parks on certain days or cutting daily operating hours even more sounds just like a massive logistical nightmare anyway you cut it. I don’t know if they’ll actually close back down, but their options are rather limited if it is a money saving issue outside of the situation in FL. I suspect it’s going to be tough for awhile for the tourist industry in FL, people aren’t exactly running there now and this would be peak season if it were a normal time of year for the entire state.

celluloid

Opening certain parks on certain days or cutting daily operating hours even more sounds just like a massive logistical nightmare anyway you cut it. I don’t know if they’ll actually close back down, but their options are rather limited if it is a money saving issue outside of the situation in FL. I suspect it’s going to be tough for awhile for the tourist industry in FL, people aren’t exactly running there now and this would be peak season if it were a normal time of year for the entire state.

They also do not have the support of California or Cruise Lines right now to help when things are bad in another venue like they normally would. Add Hong Kong closed again to the mix and they are really just in financial adversity to say the least.

Polkadotdress

I am aware of that because I have some little ones in the school system. In those two weeks we will have a somewhat better idea, but I speak of the bigger decisions this week. There is further delay talk if it gets worse this week or outright making online and daycare an option. If nothing else, the teachers definitely need that time because they have had a lot piled up on them with the hybrid model they are speaking of where a classroom is streamed.

The State board of pediatritions for Florida has said they do not recocmend school begin until the positivity rate results are at a 3-5 percent. They have currently been at 14 percent for reference.

I don’t know...did you listen in on the school board meeting where they discussed delaying the school start date? Teachers don’t want the date to slide any more, as it causes them to be without pay longer. And, one of the school board members was adamant that school start in the fall, no matter what.

celluloid

I don’t know...did you listen in on the school board meeting where they discussed delaying the school start date? Teachers don’t want the date to slide any more, as it causes them to be without pay longer. And, one of the school board members was adamant that school start in the fall, no matter what.

That is one schoolboard, representing the schoolboard, and perhaps some teachers. But schoolboards make choices against the teachers all the time. There are many other schoolboard meetings going through with teachers pleading the opposite, although I believe Osceola has done a decent job. I am not saying specifically osceola. There are counties with much higer percentages.

Tony the Tigger

Um, that cases are continuously hammered by the media and they aren't super important if other metrics are trending downward and you consider the testing environment is different today than 3 months ago?

"Record cases" has a good media ring, but requires deeper analysis.

No one is "minimizing" the effect of the virus. We are trying not to be irrational and maintain some objectivity and perspective. This is not even close to the #1 risk to public health. This really sucks. I'm not one to say it doesn't, but life will go on and has to. Wear a mask, take precautions and live your life.

The problem now is people refusing to wear masks correctly or at all. If they did, this virus probably wouldn't even be a major story anymore. That is unfortunate.
So sick of hearing people saying other metrics are down. Logically and obviously, that’s temporary. You don’t die the day after you get the virus. There is time from infection to symptoms, symptoms to diagnosis, diagnosis to hospitalization, and hospitalization to death.

So if the numbers had previously been trending down, and then cases shoot up, the rest are coming, that’s irrefutable, and there is no point citing later stages being lower for a minute.

The only possible variable is they are learning how to treat it better, so you may end up with a lower death percentage.

The downside is even asymptomatic people are showing lung damage and other issues.

Polkadotdress

IMHO Lets not get sidetrack in a schools debate here, we have a hard enough time staying on topic as it is.

If schools do not open then WDW will be adversely effected since so many Cast Members will be thrust in an untenable position of having to balance school-aged children being home while learning, while also juggling maintaining their job at WDW.

Lilofan

If schools do not open then WDW will be adversely effected since so many Cast Members will be thrust in an untenable position of having to balance school-aged children being home while learning, while also juggling maintaining their job at WDW.
True however that's what parents have to deal when school is not in session and parents have day jobs.

DVCakaCarlF

So sick of hearing people saying other metrics are down. Logically and obviously, that’s temporary. You don’t die the day after you get the virus. There is time from infection to symptoms, symptoms to diagnosis, diagnosis to hospitalization, and hospitalization to death.

So if the numbers had previously been trending down, and then cases shoot up, the rest are coming, that’s irrefutable, and there is no point citing later stages being lower for a minute.

The only possible variable is they are learning how to treat it better, so you may end up with a lower death percentage.

The downside is even asymptomatic people are showing lung damage and other issues.
Then they are not asymptomatic.

Polkadotdress

So what are they doing now?

They are being creative, leveraging friends or family to watch the kids. Some still have spouses/partners that are furloughed. Adding in the layer of having the kids home to engage in school (vs having them home for summer where they can entertain themselves) is very difficult, as the parent must be there to aid in that learning.

DisneyCane

There are many other variables including the ages of the new "cases" and the percentage of total new "cases" that are asymptomatic or mild that wouldn't have gotten tested in April or May.

The deaths per day seem to have maybe doubled while the number of new daily cases are 7-10 times higher. The case fatality rate should not be expected to remain constant. Even the infection fatality rate will drop as the vulnerable population is better protected from infection than they were in the early months of the pandemic.

Tony the Tigger

They are being creative, leveraging friends or family to watch the kids. Some still have spouses/partners that are furloughed. Adding in the layer of having the kids home to engage in school (vs having them home for summer where they can entertain themselves) is very difficult, as the parent must be there to aid in that learning.
Oh, well. It’s tough for everyone.

SamusAranX

Well I didn’t want to but Disney World refuses to refund my pass partially even though their website says otherwise.

Therefore so as not to waste $500.00 I will be going to AK in August. Hoping Florida has shown some improvement by then but I’m not betting on it. I don’t think they will reclose if they haven’t already with the huge caseload day to day

Ps: if anyone knows inner workings of Disney PM me, because I have run out of recourse on refunding my pass

legwand77

Overall state positivity rose today to 14.4% from the trend down in the 11 range. Of course concerning, lets investigate why that might be the case. Looking back Florida historically had the same behavior last week 4 days of decline and then a big jump up and then fell back and continued to trend down. While the jump did not occur on the same day last week, one could suspect it is a data dump. Something to watch.

Also looked at where the positivity was high to bring the state rate up. It is all South Florida, Dade county etc. In fact Orange County reported a positivity rate of only 7.4% lowest it has been for a long time, might have to go back to May for that, took a quick look so not sure but it has been at least a month for sure. At the rate it is declining next week it could be 2-3%. I don't think it will but that is the trend .

Orange County has had theme parks open for almost two months, Disney for 2-3 weeks, positivity rate now below the DOH target rate of 10%. Hospitalizations and capacity overall statewide and locally in Orlando is pretty much the same today as it was back in June. All this while case numbers have risen sharply.

There really isn't reason at all to reclose the parks. Masks might be working , mitigation/physical distancing might be working, virus might be mutating to a less dangerous one, might be any or all of the above, but the trends in the Orlando area are looking better.

Last edited:

legwand77

Founds this interesting on today's report, I know Disney has pixie dust but did not realize the power of the pixie dust

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 10.13.48 AM.png

Last edited:

wendysue

Well I didn’t want to but Disney World refuses to refund my pass partially even though their website says otherwise.

Therefore so as not to waste $500.00 I will be going to AK in August. Hoping Florida has shown some improvement by then but I’m not betting on it. I don’t think they will reclose if they haven’t already with the huge caseload day to day

Ps: if anyone knows inner workings of Disney PM me, because I have run out of recourse on refunding my pass
Don't know the inner workings of Disney, but they refused to refund our AP's as well, but we will NOT be going back. Will just have to eat the loss I guess, cause it's not worth running into all the people who think they are entitled to do whatever they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom