Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Polkadotdress

I doubt anybody with half a brain is going to blame Disney for something that was their choice to do.

Clearly then, you’ve never worked in guest service. Wasn’t there just a notable news story about a guy who rode a Universal attraction and subsequently had a heart attack and died, yet the family is trying to blame Uni since the warning sign wasn’t in Spanish?

Or...there are countless stories about families who leave their purse/wallet/camera in a stroller parked outside an attraction and are shocked when their items are stolen.

OHHH! And there was one time we were riding on the Backlot Tour, and the guy in front of us dropped his iPhone over the edge of the tram during the shaking part of Catastrophe Canyon. He was distraught, because he couldn't get the attention of the Cast Member who was riding in the front of the tram (we were 2nd car from the back). We stuck around after exiting, and heard him GO OFF on the Cast Member since his phone was gone, and that Disney needed to replace it since he didn't know the shaking on the tram would be that bad AND they didn't bother to stop the tram to have it retrieved.

I could go on...

Last edited:

mickeymiss

I believe the reason there are a significant number of conspiracy theorist is because many do not know where to turn for credible information. Our news media on all sides is not designed to report the news but rather to entertain in an effort to sell ads. The media has misrepresented so many things over the last several years that they have lost the public trust.

Doing research I can find multiple stories of “experts” supporting the efficacy of mask and then find an equal number of stories of “experts” explaining how wearing a mask breaks down the immune system and increases the chances of one getting sick. When this occurs it forces individuals to formulate their own opinions based on biases and what they want to believe. Not necessarily because each individual lacks intelligence per se, but because a lack of credible sources and/or an abundance of conflicting information creates a breeding ground for conspiracy theories to flourish.

You're not wrong in the slightest. I just saw an epidemiologist try to say N95 masks don't even work.

Oh. Ok.

DisneyCane

You're not wrong in the slightest. I just saw an epidemiologist try to say N95 masks don't even work.

Oh. Ok.
I hope you misunderstood them. That is a ridiculous assertion if they said that. If that was the case then this virus isn't contagious at all which we know isn't true. I mean, every healthcare worker that treats COVID-19 patients would be infected if the N95s didn't work.

mickeymiss

Since it was their choice to go to Disney and Disney has issued multiple waivers and warnings I really don't see how this is a problem. One of the family members could have had COVID before arriving at WDW so still no way to trace it back to Disney. Families are having get-togethers and parties all over the world it's not something exclusive to WDW.

We mentally sign a waiver to do anything in the public. I've always been aware of the risk of getting sick especially at pre-covid Disney. Sure enough, my husband got sick last time. It's the contract of leaving your house. Covid is more important and that's why we will be reminded of the risk but nobody can go anywhere with a promise of not catching any sickness. The question is, how likely is it when extraordinary precautions are in place?

mickeymiss

I hope you misunderstood them. That is a ridiculous assertion if they said that. If that was the case then this virus isn't contagious at all which we know isn't true. I mean, every healthcare worker that treats COVID-19 patients would be infected if the N95s didn't work.

That is what he said loud and clear. He said the covid particles are smaller than what an N95 mask blocks. It certainly is contagious, he says, but no mask is going to fully block it. How do we decide who to believe? Where is the source that knows better than the others? It's overwhelming.

I think what we need to know more about is viral load. Some illnesses require more contact than others. One of the reasons we didn't see a lot of cases explode in every community at once was that maybe quick errands like groceries were never enough exposure to make someone sick. It's all interesting and I wish there could be an expert roundtable on it. By far my most pressing questions are about casual contact, viral load and infectious doses.

Heppenheimer

Oh. Ok.
N95 masks are effective for an individual to protect themselves against an infection when they knowingly come in contact with an infected patient, for a limited amount of time, in a relatively controlled environment, like a negative-pressure hospital room. But probably not useful on a societal level to slow a pandemic, since it really isn't feasible to properly fit-test everyone. And these masks start to feel really uncomfortable after a few minutes.

Jon81uk

That is what he said loud and clear. He said the covid particles are smaller than what an N95 mask blocks. It certainly is contagious, he says, but no mask is going to fully block it. How do we decide who to believe? Where is the source that knows better than the others? It's overwhelming

The key phrase there is no mask (or any other prevention mechanism) is going to fully block it. But every little helps, wearing a mask, keeping 6ft distance, washing hands properly, add them all together and you lessen your risk.

Think of condoms, used correctly they are about 98% effective, but most don't put them on well so they are about 85% effective, so they don't fully prevent pregnancy. But a condom and a birth control pill together give a lot greater chance they won't get pregnant. Does knowing that a condom doesn't fully prevent pregnancy stop you wanting to use it?

mickeymiss

The key phrase there is no mask (or any other prevention mechanism) is going to fully block it. But every little helps, wearing a mask, keeping 6ft distance, washing hands properly, add them all together and you lessen your risk.

Think of condoms, used correctly they are about 98% effective, but most don't put them on well so they are about 85% effective, so they don't fully prevent pregnancy. But a condom and a birth control pill together give a lot greater chance they won't get pregnant. Does knowing that a condom doesn't fully prevent pregnancy stop you wanting to use it?

That's the thing. People are believing and parroting that all masks work. They think the bandana works and the homemade T-shirt masks work. I thought N95 masks were completely effective until this doctor said they weren't and then I wonder what to believe. That doesn't make any one ignorant. It's what the media has been confusing us about since March.

My point is you won't find too many people out in public thinking that the doily on their face isn't working. They think it is 100%.

Jon81uk

That's the thing. People are believing and parroting that all masks work. They think the bandana works and the homemade T-shirt masks work. I thought N95 masks were completely effective until this doctor said they weren't and then I wonder what to believe. That doesn't make any one ignorant. It's what the media has been confusing us about since March.

My point is you won't find too many people out in public thinking that the doily on their face isn't working. They think it is 100%.

I've not seen much where people think all masks work just that all masks help. A lot of the anti-mask people make a similar argument to you that its not completely effective so why bother at all, whereas in reality several small steps added together all help.

A simple cotton face covering is like using a handkerchief to cough into, it helps trap some of the droplets from your breath. Very few things will stop everything that leaves your mouth. The bandana still helps to trap some droplets, I don't think many reasonable people think it is 100%.

DisneyDebRob

I've not seen much where people think all masks work just that all masks help. A lot of the anti-mask people make a similar argument to you that its not completely effective so why bother at all, whereas in reality several small steps added together all help.

A simple cotton face covering is like using a handkerchief to cough into, it helps trap some of the droplets from your breath. Very few things will stop everything that leaves your mouth. The bandana still helps to trap some droplets, I don't think many reasonable people think it is 100%.
This. If they came out tomorrow and said they are only 10% effective, well then we still need to wear them along with other measures. I don’t get the thinking of there not 100% so why bother.

mickeymiss

This. If they came out tomorrow and said they are only 10% effective, well then we still need to wear them along with other measures. I don’t get the thinking of there not 100% so why bother.

No of course we should still wear them but many many people think it's essentially 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heppenheimer

This isn't a binary choice of something either "working" or "not working", especially on the individual level. Its a matter of risk mitigation, which is about 90% of what all medicine is geared towards.

Jon81uk

No of course we should still wear them but many many people think it's essentially 100%. I hate to bring up the protests but I lost count of how many people said "we wore masks" as an excuse to be out there without distancing when the rest of us were told not to.

Again, what evidence is there that those people thought they were 100% effective? Distancing isn't 100% effective either. "We wore masks" is a sensible thing to do when you can't distance. But not going out at all is even more sensible. But people have a right to protest too.

DisneyCane

This is my main issue with the "mask mantra." I'm not "anti-mask." I just think that too many people think that they provide protection and therefore they can ignore social distancing if they are wearing one. Some cloth masks provide some level of prevention but some are doing little if anything but the people wearing them think they are effective.

At least Disney made the policy to have some sort of standard. The general mask mandates essentially say stick something over your face without any guidance about what might actually work.

Nothing short of a bio hazard suit with a dedicated air supply will be 100% effective. Even the name of the N95 mask is because it filters 95% of particles.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

I've a few friends and in-laws that think the mask thing is funny or stupid and what I tell them is to not listen to the media or politicians but to call their physician and ask them if it makes sense to wear a mask. When you have a medical professional telling you it does or does't, it holds more water than the media or again politicians, which many distrust. Not that all docs are trustworthy, but if you have a family doctor you've used for years, that is a great resource right there. They should also be able to explain that masks aren't immunity, but they are tools to help stop the spread, as proved out by Taiwan and Japan.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Multiple testing labs over reporting their numbers by 900% is a big deal. Good for xdan catching this earlier.
Can you help me understand, honest question here, why that matters. They are reporting 100% positivity rate which we know isn't correct but the overall state number is a simple math equation: total positive result tests - lets say 10,000 people tested positive, divided by the total number of administered tests, let's say 100,000. That would give you a 10% positivity rate. Why would it matter if individual labs are reporting incorrect positivity rates when the overall number is based off total numbers ?

Monorail_Orange

Can you help me understand, honest question here, why that matters. They are reporting 100% positivity rate which we know isn't correct but the overall state number is a simple math equation: total positive result tests - lets say 10,000 people tested positive, divided by the total number of administered tests, let's say 100,000. That would give you a 10% positivity rate. Why would it matter if individual labs are reporting incorrect positivity rates when the overall number is based off total numbers ?
If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is we aren't getting the total numbers...some of these labs are only reporting the positive tests, and not reporting anything at all on the negative tests - so they aren't making it into the "total tests" shown on the dashboard.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is we aren't getting the total numbers...some of these labs are only reporting the positive tests, and not reporting anything at all on the negative tests - so they aren't making it into the "total tests" shown on the dashboard.
Ah, got you. That was what I didn't understand. If they are only reporting positive numbers, which was always lower then the actual negative numbers, then that is a big problem. That would indicate that the total number should actually be larger than what has been reported. Thanks for the clarification.

WDW Pro

Because somebody's adjusting the positivity rate way up, which happens to be the number we look at for evidence of a true spike (because you can actually measure that objectively without the need for static testing numbers from month to month). It's the statistic that real government decisions are based on.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Because somebody's adjusting the positivity rate way up, which happens to be the number we look at for evidence of a true spike (because you can actually measure that objectively without the need for static testing numbers from month to month). It's the statistic that real government decisions are based on.
Thanks, yes @Monorail_Orange explained that to me. If the total number of tests are under reported because some labs aren't reporting negative tests in that number and only positive tests are being reported then I see where the overall positivity rate would be inflated. I am curious as to how many labs are doing that and to what extent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom