Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
One more point before I let this go. There’s no national database for contact tracing. There’s no system to inform other jurisdictions of infections. When I test positive the department of health in my local county would run the contact tracing. So for example, if 50 people all test positive today and they all visited WDW on July 11 if they live in 50 different counties around the country that’s 50 unique contact tracers. Each person would only see 1 case related to WDW. In other words the Orange County health official only has a piece of the overall puzzle on guests visiting. They would be much more likely to catch an outbreak from workers since they are more likely to be local.
Someone should probably ask this official how they specifically searched for any type of outbreak from the parks.

lazyboy97o

One more point before I let this go. There’s no national database for contact tracing. There’s no system to inform other jurisdictions of infections. When I test positive the department of health in my local county would run the contact tracing. So for example, if 50 people all test positive today and they all visited WDW on July 11 if they live in 50 different counties around the country that’s 50 unique contact tracers. Each person would only see 1 case related to WDW. In other words the Orange County health official only has a piece of the overall puzzle on guests visiting. They would be much more likely to catch an outbreak from workers since they are more likely to be local.
Even employees do not necessarily live in Orange County. Many live in Osceola County or even Polk County.

TJJohn12

It’s impossible in the US. We had the technology to use the cell phone apps and the overwhelming response was no thanks.
There is no way Disney shares any data they collect from guests with health department officials. It won’t happen.

That's largely what I said. WDW is a best case scenario in terms of data and tracing capability. But the shortsightedness and selfishness of folks has stymied real, meaningful contact tracing via something like the in-app green checkmark in China, which is required to enter Shanghai Disney Resort.

That said, I never saw an app offered in the US to track my location, even willingly. I fill out a survey every night with symptoms, location data, activity data, etc. that's run by the Gates Foundation. But I'd gladly give up my geodata to fight a disease that's killing my neighbors. When was the app offered and how was the "overwhelming" response vocalized?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even employees do not necessarily live in Orange County. Many live in Osceola County or even Polk County.
A valid point. It would be possible though for the local county departments of health to talk to each other especially in that area because of the various attractions. It’s conceivable they talk to one or 2 other people in neighboring counties, but it’s unlikely they would reach out to my county up in PA to see if anyone who tested positive happened to visit Universal or Sea World recently.

havoc315

Oh my goodness. Again. This is the quote of the Heath official from Thursday. You can get my full opinion about it from my previous post to Goof. Again. I’m not saying anymore or less.

“I would be lying to say that we have not seen a case here and there that mention one of the parks. But we have not seen an outbreak in any of the parks that are open so far that we are aware of, and we have searched for it ... we have not found it,” Pino said at a news conference.”

Read it yourself. None “they are aware of” “so far.”
they looked — but don’t tell you how much they looked.

So it’s a pure “we don’t know yet”

lazyboy97o

That's largely what I said. WDW is a best case scenario in terms of data and tracing capability. But the shortsightedness and selfishness of folks has stymied real, meaningful contact tracing via something like the in-app green checkmark in China, which is required to enter Shanghai Disney Resort.

That said, I never saw an app offered in the US to track my location, even willingly. I fill out a survey every night with symptoms, location data, activity data, etc. that's run by the Gates Foundation. But I'd gladly give up my geodata to fight a disease that's killing my neighbors. When was the app offered and how was the "overwhelming" response vocalized?
Google and Apple pushed out updates to Android and iOS at the end of May that allows for non-location based contact tracing. It is up to individual departments of health to develop and deploy an app. Only a few states have developed an app.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Google and Apple pushed out updates to Android and iOS at the end of May that allows for non-location based contact tracing. It is up to individual departments of health to develop and deploy an app. Only a few states have developed an app.
Are any states actively using it?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

For the app developed by Google and Apple the companies did not want to be involved directly with the process of finding out who was positive or informing people they had contact with someone who is infected. They required individual states to develop their own apps using the technology but ultimately when someone tests positive it would be the state who was informed not Google or Apple. To my knowledge only a few states went through with the process. It’s ironic that the biggest ”complaint” about the technology was Google and Apple collecting personal information and that’s exactly the opposite of what would have happened. They made sure of it by taking themselves completely out of the picture outside of allowing the use of their devices.

TJJohn12

Which I think we agree is where the real insanity lies - that this is being managed in 3,141 different separate silos without data sharing.

havoc315

You realized — you just proved the whole “they don’t know.”

so yes... if a large family from Georgia visited Universal Orlando in late June... and the whole family contracted Covid at their hotel outside of Universal... and then they went back to Georgia and gave it to 100 people in Georgia —-
That would be a huge outbreak attributable to theme parks being open... But it’s not going to show up in any contact tracing.

Or take a family of infected people, driving from Alabama to Orlando. While on their way to Orlando, they stop at a gas station in Tallahassee. While at the gas station, they spread the infection to 2 other people. Over the next month, those 2 people spread it to more who spread it to more in the Tallahassee... growing to 100 people.
So a huge outbreak in Tallahassee — due to theme parks being open.

lazyboy97o

Are any states actively using it?
Apparently the answer is no. Some are still saying they will but have not yet released an app.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Apparently the answer is no. Some are still saying they will but have not yet released an app.
Seems kinda late now for those that wanted to.

TrojanUSC

Jerry Demings "if there are any outbreaks associated with Disney then we won't hesitate to ask Disney to reevaluate the reopening"

The biggest concern I think for Disney would be restaurants and, particularly, break rooms.

I'm curious. I don't know if anyone knows the answer. What exactly would classify as an "outbreak?"

So, if multiple WDW staff get infected (or ill, whatever the right term is) that would likely qualify as an outbreak that ought to cause concern because staff is likely in constant contact with visitors.

However, if there are guests that report being infected at or near time of a Disney vacation, would that cause similar concern? I mean, a guest comes and goes to the park for only a limited time.

Edit: Unlike everyone else on the internet, I'm not an epidemiologist ;)

My guess would be something like we've seen with factories happening at a restaurant or attraction. Numerous CMs get sick where its very clear there is community spread in the workplace, which could very possibly lead to guest transmission.

mickeymiss

It should be really easy to keep tabs on employee outbreaks. I hope it doesn't happen and that it stays isolated if it does. If a health official has found no link, I assume that includes employees. This is very good news.

beertiki

This is the scenario that Disney fears most. Big family going to Disney, all have not seen each other in weeks. Flying in from 3 locations, different planes. Same resort for a week, then they all fly back home. 3 - 9 days later they start to get sick. Does not take long to figure out what they had in common.

It's coming. I am sure there are stories in these forums about family's bringing home the flu from Disney. But, the flu is not going to make national news.

Florida is a big stinking mess. There is no way Disney is going to come out of this smelling nice.

mickey0825

I am new to posting on these specific boards but not new to reading them. Just like almost all of you I am a life long disney-holic who lives for my next trip to Disney. We spend 10 days every August at the Poly and have been on 11 cruises. Some years we do two trips a year so you can see where my hard earned dollars have gone. I always joke that half my salary should just be direct deposited to Disney. But I am happy to do it because it provides us memories like no other.

In saying that we have thought long and hard about our upcoming trip this August. Back when Disney first announced they were re-opening we booked our park reservations and re-made our dining reservations and were fully intent on going. I am by no means a hypochondriac. However with the state of the virus in Florida my wife and I decided that it just wasn't worth the inherent risk for us to make the trip this year. It breaks our heart and we want to go so badly, but we just feel it may be too risky for us and our kids. Not because of anything Disney has done, as we fully believe they are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. But as I said this is a CHOICE we are making.

Reading these boards, which are usually filled with great info and some fun debate, I am honestly blown away by the amount of people who believe it's OK to shame others or feel they have an invitation to tell others what they should do. We are making the decision not to go, because we feel it is too risky...that is OUR choice. However I would never begrudge anyone who felt differently and felt it was safe enough for them to go. If you feel safe...go and I hope you have a wonderful time.... if you don't feel safe, then do as we are and stay at home. It really sucks, but it's the choice we feel we have to make.

havoc315

It should be really easy to keep tabs on employee outbreaks. I hope it doesn't happen and that it stays isolated if it does. If a health official has found no link, I assume that includes employees. This is very good news.

Bad news is that Disney won’t test their employees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom