Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

havoc315

I didn't say anything about wearing masks or distancing guidelines. My response was to the people that want Disney and other businesses to be closed again.

No.. I think people want businesses open *safely.*

That does mean closing some businesses in some locations where it's the only effective way to manage the virus.
It means operating other businesses in other locations with preventive measures.

If Florida was not currently having skyrocketing cases and increasing deaths and filled-up ICUs, that's an entirely different conversation.

The question is --- As applied to Disney specifically, is it a significant danger? And let me say this to everyone -- we don't know.
It's quite possible that the mitigation measures will be enough to prevent Disney being a source of infection directly. (infections at Disney). It's possible that it won't lead to lots of infections indirectly (people getting it on planes, buses and ubers on the way to Disney, hotels and restaurants near Disney, etc). It's also possible that despite Disney's best efforts -- It's just too hard to prevent spread in restaurants with AC systems blowing the virus around, on rides with people screaming, etc.

We don't know. Now, I fully admit I don't know -- but considering the current Florida caseload, I would have thought it wiser to err on the side of caution.

havoc315

Outside of the government calling for it? One of the big three in the company making the decision. This is the world we live in now.

Unfortunately that's not the way viruses work. You can mitigate, but the virus is still there. The only solutions are herd immunity (might not work if fast mutations), vaccine (might not work if fast mutations), or the virus loses potency over time. Until you reach those points, there's no finish line where you win.

That's. Not. How. It. Works.

We haven't solved AIDs. There is no herd immunity, there are no vaccines and it hasn't lost it's potency.

There is still no finish line of winning with AIDs, as an example.

But there is indeed another very major solution -- Adapting so you can live with it.
Even with a vaccine, most of the vaccines are not expected to be 100% effective. They are actually hoping for around 50% effective.
As with AIDs, they are hoping for therapeutics that make the disease less dangerous.
As with AIDs (which prompted a safe sex revolution), you change behaviors to reduce the prevalence of the disease.
In terms of viral outbreak, when numbers are low, you can safely contain spread with extensive testing and contact tracing. (which is done with HIV too)

You do all those things -- improved therapeutics, preventative behaviors, testing + contact tracing -- Those become a "solution" even without herd immunity, even without a vaccine (or a partially effective vaccine), etc.

There is no finish line here even with a vaccine. Contrary to the perception of some, there isn't going to be a magic day we mark on the calendar where we can rip off our masks and go back to normal.
It's a gradual progression... gradually adapting, following the science, and gradually returning to "normal" though possibly never fully exactly the same normal as we had before. (though I suspect we will get pretty close to that normal in another 6-18 months).

havoc315

Mayor of Orange County just said in his press conference WDW is one of the safest places to be and what they are doing is outstanding in managing Covid.

Mind you, Orange County has a major economic interest in WDW. So take it with a grain of salt.

I do indeed believe WDW has done an outstanding job putting in safety measures.

But it's ignoring the big danger: How well are all the hotels, restaurants and bar that surround WDW doing? How well are ubers, taxis, buses and airplanes doing that will bring the guests to Disney World?

chrisvee

Mind you, Orange County has a major economic interest in WDW. So take it with a grain of salt.

I do indeed believe WDW has done an outstanding job putting in safety measures.

But it's ignoring the big danger: How well are all the hotels, restaurants and bar that surround WDW doing? How well are ubers, taxis, buses and airplanes doing that will bring the guests to Disney World?
yes. it‘s the people Disney is drawing to the area during a spike that’s the issue.

havoc315

He/Florida Department of Health explicitly stated that the theme parks are not showing any issue. They have no indications of that at all.

WDW just opened. You can't going to see an "issue" for at least several weeks. Have other parks shown an issue?
Well... are cases increasing or decreasing in Florida?

Theme parks started re-opening in mid June...

How have cases gone since mid-June?

Capture.PNG

About a 1000% increase since early June. I don't know what degree of the increase is caused by "theme parks." Whether very little, or lots.
But don't tell me there are "no indications" of any issue. There is a big flashing siren of an issue.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
WDW just opened. You can't going to see an "issue" for at least several weeks. Have other parks shown an issue?
Well... are cases increasing or decreasing in Florida?

Theme parks started re-opening in mid June...

How have cases gone since mid-June?

View attachment 483534

About a 1000% increase since early June. I don't know what degree of the increase is caused by "theme parks." Whether very little, or lots.
But don't tell me there are "no indications" of any issue. There is a big flashing siren of an issue.
But just a few days ago they said they attempted to find a contribution from the theme parks that are already opened and could not find anything. They specifically said they are looked. So by that, there are currently no indications.

schuelma

But just a few days ago they said they attempted to find a contribution from the theme parks that are already opened and could not find anything. They specifically said they are looked. So by that, there are currently no indications.

With the amount of positive cases coming back I would be absolutely shocked if any amount of meaningful tracing is going on.

BASS

I'm curious. I don't know if anyone knows the answer. What exactly would classify as an "outbreak?"

So, if multiple WDW staff get infected (or ill, whatever the right term is) that would likely qualify as an outbreak that ought to cause concern because staff is likely in constant contact with visitors.

However, if there are guests that report being infected at or near time of a Disney vacation, would that cause similar concern? I mean, a guest comes and goes to the park for only a limited time.

Edit: Unlike everyone else on the internet, I'm not an epidemiologist ;)

DisneyDebRob

I'm curious. I don't know if anyone knows the answer. What exactly would classify as an "outbreak?"

So, if multiple WDW staff get infected (or ill, whatever the right term is) that would likely qualify as an outbreak that ought to cause concern because staff is likely in constant contact with visitors.

However, if there are guests that report being infected at or near time of a Disney vacation, would that cause similar concern? I mean, a guest comes and goes to the park for only a limited time.

Edit: Unlike everyone else on the internet, I'm not an epidemiologist ;)
You are one here.. congrats! We all are! 🙂

DisneyDebRob

How many more of these do you think we will see? It’s just starting I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom