Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

WDWFREAK53

Thank you for that information. I'm glad to hear that they're working on energy conservation and that reflects well on WDW and the parent company.

Based on some other sources I found, by switching to LEDS they have cut power consumption for this display and are using about 75% less power! That's great.

So if they're saving all this money, the ticket to the park should get cheaper...right? right? Hehe

ChrisM

Thank you for that information. I'm glad to hear that they're working on energy conservation and that reflects well on WDW and the parent company.

Based on some other sources I found, by switching to LEDS they have cut power consumption for this display and are using about 75% less power! That's great.

All values resorts are getting composting toilets and solar water heaters, too. Should be a fabulous guest experience.

Beholder

The comments about Monsters Inc as a "land" being unique enough in appearance has got me thinking about this aspect. Would Monstropolis be interesting enough (visually?) to warrant it's own themed area? Not sure. Perhaps another franchise (originality doesn't seem to be an option) would make for better visual impact. Alice in Wonderland would work in that regard. Oz maybe. Pixar only? That's even tougher I think. Most if the movies are contemporary. Hmmm, Harryhausen's is in Monsters Inc, maybe an area based off of the real Ray Harryhausen. The classic Sinbad movies, his early stuff (Ymir, 20,000 Fathoms, etc), and the various settings would make for a pretty great experience. Having grown up on his films, I'd love to see it.

Bairstow

I think for the sake of energy conservation they need to get rid of the Osborne lights display. Old incandescent lights are wasteful. They need to switch to LEDS and other more energy efficient lighting.

That's still too wasteful.
Perhaps they could just print some pictures of previous years' displays on recycled paper and hang them up in nice gallery for people to look at.
Better yet, just make the pictures available online so that people can view them at home without having to expend gasoline to come to the park to see the printed versions of these pictures.

skimbob

If they chose to do Cars Land it will be several years in the making 5 if I remember correctly. I hope that never happens because I don't want to see a clone in HS. I come to Florida to see different things than what I see in DL and DCA. There is one thing that I know most everyone wants is to see the sorcerer's hat magically disappear. Sorry I had to say it. The backlot tour and the stunt show both could be removed and put in a new E ticket ride. The only thing I can't come up with is what that ride should be. It has to have mass appeal and staying power.

Clever Name

So if they're saving all this money, the ticket to the park should get cheaper...right? right? Hehe
WDW has to shop for power among the power plants in the area. The cheapest power is also the dirty coal fired power. Power produced by natural gas and nuclear power (the Crystal River Power Plant) is much more expensive. WDW uses a balanced approach in buying its electricity. If WDW were to buy cheap power all the time, it would just make them poor corporate citizens. They must do their part to help slow down global warming.

herc

thought this was interesting from vulture. apparently, disney is rebooting the rocketeer:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/disneys-the-rocketeer-being-reloaded.html

how's it's relevant. well, i have a theory: could this be how disney gets a super hero/marvel-esque attraction into DHS?

now, admittedly, this does seem backwards: having the parks wag the studio dog. but should they reboot the rocketeer, it could play upon the super hero success disney saw with the avengers. and since they can't use marvel characters in WDW, who knows. maybe a marvel character will pop up in the movie, and give disney a tie in where a rocketeer attraction in DHS would makes sense (i know the rocketeer was pacific comics, but it wouldn't be the first time an attempt at corporate profit ever compromised art).

all speculation, but that's my guess for a seemingly random reboot of a 1991 movie.
This is such a great idea to re-introduce the Rocketeer into the parks especially DHS and DCA. DCA has the Golden Zephor at Paradise Pier and during the ride the announcement says something about being a rocketeer since the area is supposed to be 20s 30s area. DHS could really benefit from the Rocketeer since Florida cannot have any of the Marvel Superheros. He would fit in perfectly on Sunset Blvd. Maybe there is a way to rework the way you get into Rock N Roller Coaster and possibly have a Rocketeer attraction somewhere on Sunset Blvd.

I would really like Pixar Place to be expanded and the backlot tour retired. Taking Studio 1 for a Monsters Inc Door Coaster would be wonderful. There are other attractions that could be added into that area in the backlot. Other Pixar movies can be brought in for the backlot space. I agree that Carsland should be a DCA thing. But why not Radiator Springs Racers and add part of the outdoor track but have an outdoor track themed to Cars 2 (so Ornament Valley would not have to be recreated). Definitely feel that Pizza Planet should be relocated. The rest of the back lot and possibly Streets of America can be taken over with a Lucas Land that we all have talked about before. One thing that now works in DCA is the time periods for each land. Maybe DHS needs that also. But we gotta move the hat out of Hollywood Blvd. and place it outside of the gates in the front courtyard.

BTW, I'm old school and would love them to revisit concepts from Dick Tracy and Roger Rabbit for Sunset Blvd. Move the Theater of the Stars out.

What really needs to happen is for the DHS to square itself off to the left of the front gate into the parking lot and add more attractions.

And while we're at it, get the hidden Mickey back into the Chinese Theatre courtyard when the hat is removed.

Bairstow

I still hang them every year and have no problem finding replacements for them either. The Osborne display is awesome with the LED's, but home use stuff just looks like crap.

I think it's because most commercially-available LED christmas lights aren't on constantly, but are actually strobing on and off very quickly.
This makes them look a bit harsh, and is very apparent if you quickly turn your head while looking at them.

RSoxNo1

I still hang them every year and have no problem finding replacements for them either. The Osborne display is awesome with the LED's, but home use stuff just looks like crap.
The obsolete comment was in reference to the Lights of Winter were removed due to "obsolete technology"

WDW has to shop for power among the power plants in the area. The cheapest power is also the dirty coal fired power. Power produced by natural gas and nuclear power (the Crystal River Power Plant) is much more expensive. WDW uses a balanced approach in buying its electricity. If WDW were to buy cheap power all the time, it would just make them poor corporate citizens. They must do their part to help slow down global warming.

I thought that WDW had it's own power plant. Oh well! I guess I was wrong again...

ratherbeinwdw

I thought that WDW had it's own power plant. Oh well! I guess I was wrong again...
They do own Reedy Creek Energy Services which provides their utilities. Their site says they purchase 75% and make 25%. It didn't explain any further than that. I saw a special on the building of wdw, and they did say they make their own electricity and had their own fire, garbage, water and gas facilities, so I'm not sure which is correct.

Turtle

The comments about Monsters Inc as a "land" being unique enough in appearance has got me thinking about this aspect. Would Monstropolis be interesting enough (visually?) to warrant it's own themed area? Not sure. Perhaps another franchise (originality doesn't seem to be an option) would make for better visual impact. Alice in Wonderland would work in that regard. Oz maybe. Pixar only? That's even tougher I think. Most if the movies are contemporary. Hmmm, Harryhausen's is in Monsters Inc, maybe an area based off of the real Ray Harryhausen. The classic Sinbad movies, his early stuff (Ymir, 20,000 Fathoms, etc), and the various settings would make for a pretty great experience. Having grown up on his films, I'd love to see it.

I think that a Monsters Land would be fantastic for an interesting themed area and streetmosphere. With magic like cars parked on the street like this and fun little things like monster eyes peaking out of windows looking at you via projectors like this . We could have an e-ticket which would be the door vaulter (coaster), a d-ticket which would be the major rehab of the Laugh Floor which can even have animatronic Wazowski, and maybe even a Monsters University dark ride "campus tram tour" if the story is good enough.

EOD K9

Can I ask a question??? While some of you have some fantastic ideas.....why do we say things like: "Disney should theme this area to........or I'd like to see them move this ride...add this....subtract that ride, etc. Someone else replies...."well what would they do with (insert ride here)" We get the imagination going, but its kind of all for naught as they wont come to fruition. Just a question thats all.

alissafalco

Can I ask a question??? While some of you have some fantastic ideas.....why do we say things like: "Disney should theme this area to........or I'd like to see them move this ride...add this....subtract that ride, etc. Someone else replies...."well what would they do with (insert ride here)" We get the imagination going, but its kind of all for naught as they wont come to fruition. Just a question thats all.

Because we are all Disney fans and that's why we are all members of WDWmagic. We like to discuss all things Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom