Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

jt04

Can I ask a question??? While some of you have some fantastic ideas.....why do we say things like: "Disney should theme this area to........or I'd like to see them move this ride...add this....subtract that ride, etc. Someone else replies...."well what would they do with (insert ride here)" We get the imagination going, but its kind of all for naught as they wont come to fruition. Just a question thats all.

I think you will find they do sometimes respond to the fan community by monitoring sites like this. Personally I think the fan community was loud enough that the sponsor of SSE wanted the wand removed. And it happened. And now we want the BAH gone. Well most of us anyway.

Beholder

Can I ask a question??? While some of you have some fantastic ideas.....why do we say things like: "Disney should theme this area to........or I'd like to see them move this ride...add this....subtract that ride, etc. Someone else replies...."well what would they
do with (insert ride here)" We get the
imagination going, but its kind of all for naught
as they wont come to fruition. Just a question
thats all.

To me, it's like the lottery. It's fun to imagine what life would be like with $$$ million, what I'd buy, where I'd go, the type of home I'd live in. I'll never win (I hardly EVER play), but it's still fun to imagine. This isn't the Disney board room, it's a site that's all aspects of Disney, even hypotheticals and speculation. And it's fun!

cynic710

I personally think reimaging Aerosmith out of the R.R.C is a bad idea. I think the theme is fantastic and the story to the ride is solid. Why mess with a good thing? I like the idea of reworking Muppetvision and even expanding on the Muppet world, there is plenty to create something from. I hate to say it, but the backlot tour is starting to get in the way of potential, though i appreciate that ride for all it ever was ( miss seeing the golden girls house). Carsland in the world only makes sense, and its a fantastic idea, but, what about the whole pixar place idea of a pixar world within the studios. where did that idea go?

RSoxNo1

Can I ask a question??? While some of you have some fantastic ideas.....why do we say things like: "Disney should theme this area to........or I'd like to see them move this ride...add this....subtract that ride, etc. Someone else replies...."well what would they do with (insert ride here)" We get the imagination going, but its kind of all for naught as they wont come to fruition. Just a question thats all.
An imagination works best when it's set free!

Beholder

Whatever TDO decides to do next with DHS, I sincerely hope that they examine the big picture. No quick fixes or flash (AI) in the pan things, but think long term. Think overall thematic continuity and remain true to the dedication. Timelessness, rich narratives, quality of build (budget), and maybe tweaking the layout. I know this is a tall order, but baby steps are a start.

I know DHS isn't a working studio, but it could be a "time machine" in essence, showcasing the heritage and history of film making in an entertaining and fun way. Indiana Jones could show an evolution of stunts throughout movie history, Backlot, if not expanded into more Pixar, could become an attraction showing various "on location" shots, using AA's and maybe real CM's like GMR. I love new stuff, and I'd love more Star Wars, Pixar, but I want more "mythic" Hollywood and more unique attractions (ToT, RnR) to flesh out the trouble spots.

RunnerEd

Whatever TDO decides to do next with DHS, I sincerely hope that they examine the big picture. No quick fixes or flash (AI) in the pan things, but think long term. Think overall thematic continuity and remain true to the dedication. Timelessness, rich narratives, quality of build (budget), and maybe tweaking the layout. I know this is a tall order, but baby steps are a start.

I know DHS isn't a working studio, but it could be a "time machine" in essence, showcasing the heritage and history of film making in an entertaining and fun way. Indiana Jones could show an evolution of stunts throughout movie history, Backlot, if not expanded into more Pixar, could become an attraction showing various "on location" shots, using AA's and maybe real CM's like GMR. I love new stuff, and I'd love more Star Wars, Pixar, but I want more "mythic" Hollywood and more unique attractions (ToT, RnR) to flesh out the trouble spots.

I agree with this post. To me, a Pixar Place concept that shows a little of this and a little of that like a real studio would be is kind of cool. The door coaster, and 3 or 4 other Pixar based rides along with moving the laugh floor, a Ratatouille restaurant, and you've go a serious land. Theme could be immersive as well as eclectic and the park could stay true to its name/dedication. Remove the hat and update GMR. There is so much potential there!

Beholder

I agree with this post. To me, a Pixar Place concept that shows a little of this and a little of that like a real studio would be is kind of cool. The door coaster, and 3 or 4 other Pixar based rides along with moving the laugh floor, a Ratatouille restaurant, and you've go a
serious land. Theme could be immersive as well
as eclectic and the park could stay true to its name/dedication. Remove the hat and update
GMR. There is so much potential there!

Agree and I forgot, take out the hat.

jt04

I agree with this post. To me, a Pixar Place concept that shows a little of this and a little of that like a real studio would be is kind of cool. The door coaster, and 3 or 4 other Pixar based rides along with moving the laugh floor, a Ratatouille restaurant, and you've go a serious land. Theme could be immersive as well as eclectic and the park could stay true to its name/dedication. Remove the hat and update GMR. There is so much potential there!

Yes I think the Studio themed lands works and it is not to late with some Imagineering magic.

Cosmic Commando

I've had this thought as well, I'd want it to include all of the movies reflected in The Great Movie Ride. It could sell Blu Rays, DVDs, posters, etc. You could do the same thing over at American Idol Experience with albums of the real winners.
Not sure about the logistics side of this, but you could totally get people to drop 99 cents on their way out for songs that the contestants sang during their show. Or maybe a QR code for the real artists' versions of the songs that the contestants sang. That would logistically be easier since there is a list of songs the contestants pick from.

culturenthrills

A lot of people, most older, don't.

It took a lot for me to buy into the Potter phenomenon. I recall a dozen years ago when friends with young kids were touting the books and I had no interest in them. Same with the films. Wasn't until Continental Airlines forced me to watch the first film that I was suprised how good it was (and that's before any of the kids could actually ... well ... um ... act!) and it wasn't simply the wine after a delayed Newark-LA flight either.

Potter is going to last.

FWIW, while I 'enjoy' Star Wars, it will never come close to me of having the relevance and deeper plotlines of Star Trek and its many incarnations.

I am surprised Universal hasn't gone after Star Trek with the success of the reboot. Of course maybe they will if the sequel is a success. Of course Lord of the Rings is still sitting out there waiting for someone.

I don't know if we will ever see anything like the Potter movies series again. I still have not read the books but I have been a fan since I watched the first film on video. The films and the acting kept getting better. Not only did we see the characters grow up over the years but we saw a talented group of young people grow up right before our eyes and I think many of us grew to love and root for these people. It has been an amazing run. I was flipping channels last night and stopped on Deathly Hallows part 2 and ended up watching the rest of it. I am still amazed that we got such a great series of films with an amazing and satisfying conclusion. The story and the characters is why it will endure. Just like Star Wars the children who grew up watching the movies and reading the books will introduce it to their children.

HMF

I just saw this report on DHS over on another site: http://************.com/archives/9719

About 80% of it has been talked about and posted here before, but the writer made some nice images of what he thinks the expansion of DHS will entail. He says in no certain terms that the Carsland at DCA is going to be cloned for DHS.

I'm disappointed in that, because I think that DHS needs a Cars area but it needs to be different from Radiator Springs (which is already at Art of Animation resort anyway). Surely there can be another Cars-inspired area with a different look.

It does seem like the ugly moon bounce Sorcerer's Hat is coming down, but this writer also says that the Chinese Theater is being torn down and instead a Carthay Circle is going to be built as the entrance to the Great Movie Ride. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as why would Disney take the new icon for DCA and clone it in Florida?

That would be odd.

The writer also says that there will be a few little Star Wars and Muppets additions to DHS but the big addition will be the Monsters Inc roller coaster and Carsland. Looks like DHS is going to just be "Pixar Park" and they are going to go cheap with the Star Wars area as they don't think it will be popular much longer, which is weird because it's been popular for 30 years and I doubt it will stop being popular for another 30.

I don't know how accurate ************ is but I'm skeptical of a lot in this report because it really just seems like he thinks they're going to take all the plans from DCA and rebuild them in Florida. Not sure why Disney would do that as I think it would jeopardize the success of DCA.

Also, another interesting note in the article is that the writer thinks that John Lasseter will be given control of the DHS remodeling instead of being made CEO of Disney, so this is the consolation prize.

What do you think of the news in this article?
Almost anything that site says are either half-truths or flat-out lies.

Cosmic Commando

The comments about Monsters Inc as a "land" being unique enough in appearance has got me thinking about this aspect. Would Monstropolis be interesting enough (visually?) to warrant it's own themed area? Not sure. Perhaps another franchise (originality doesn't seem to be an option) would make for better visual impact. Alice in Wonderland would work in that regard. Oz maybe. Pixar only? That's even tougher I think. Most if the movies are contemporary. Hmmm, Harryhausen's is in Monsters Inc, maybe an area based off of the real Ray Harryhausen. The classic Sinbad movies, his early stuff (Ymir, 20,000 Fathoms, etc), and the various settings would make for a pretty great experience. Having grown up on his films, I'd love to see it.
I think maybe this is a reason it should be built... it's not all that interesting. Look at WWoHP and Carsland: both of them are just sort of real world places with a twist. I don't want to simplify things too much, but it's easy to see how to build those lands. I think that since both of those lands and their inspirations skew so closely to the real world, it's easier to make a theme park land that feels complete and "right". Compare those with something like (deep breath) Avatar. Will anyone with any sort of budget ever be able to recreate the massive bioluminescent forests teeming with six-legged creatures in a convincing way? I don't know. But with Monsters, there's a very do-able world that you can pack with things like the giant eye in the window that will still feel fantastical. Certainly there are some attraction possibilities. There are three quality attractions that already exist at parks around the world and the infamous door coaster.

Beholder

I think maybe this is a reason it should be built... it's not all that interesting. Look at WWoHP and Carsland: both of them are just sort of real world places with a twist. I don't want to simplify things too much, but it's easy to see how to build those lands. I
think that since both of those lands and their inspirations skew so closely to the real world,
it's easier to make a theme park land that feels
complete and "right". Compare those with
something like (deep breath) Avatar. Will
anyone with any sort of budget ever be able to
recreate the massive bioluminescent forests
teeming with six-legged creatures in a
convincing way? I don't know. But with
Monsters, there's a very do-able world that you
can pack with things like the giant eye in the
window that will still feel fantastical. Certainly
there are some attraction possibilities. There
are three quality attractions that already exist
at parks around the world and the infamous door
coaster.

I get what you're saying. I have a favorite artist who's passed away, but he had an amazing ability to make the ordinary look amazing and the amazing look ordinary. I have no doubt it could be pulled off with the desired effect, but would the effort (budget) to implement the atmosphere be there? I don't know, but I would hope so.

Cosmic Commando

I get what you're saying. I have a favorite artist who's passed away, but he had an amazing ability to make the ordinary look amazing and the amazing look ordinary. I have no doubt it could be pulled off with the desired effect, but would the effort (budget) to implement the atmosphere be there? I don't know, but I would hope so.
Yeah, I think we're on the same page. Not all of it needs to be animatronic/tech-based, though. The things like the street signs, the newspapers in the box, tiny doors and giant Godzilla-sized (Ted) doors would give it a lot of character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom