Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

Buried20KLeague

It is a beautiful park in places and under new management they are really fixing things up (neglect and show quality). I think the Haunt is a good chance for me to start to see if I can really feel good about going back during the day.

Not only will I buy for you, but the gals too. I gots me loads of refillable mugs. Just pick the resort and we'll go in and sit and drink for hours (and then pee lots) and then drink even more free soda. Nothing but the best for you and the family!:D

That literally made me laugh out loud. :)

scpergj

Just surprised that no one is talking about it.

Are we busy reading Tom Bricker's reviews of OKW and Grand Cali (where he may or may not have paid something to stay, but if he did it wasn't much, which at least he put in his review)?

Are we all sitting on the phones waiting to book the Be Our Guest dinner with cupcakes?

Are we all back to school today (school's been out for this Spirit for a long time)?

Are we all simply enjoying a shower with a friend (to save water, of course)?

Are we all out eating the Monday Moe's Burrito special?

Are we all feverishing planning how we're going to avoid all the bloggers/podcasters/Disney Lifestylers when we go to EPCOT on 10/1?

Are we all just tired from last week's MAGICal hijinks here?

Moe's has a Monday Burrito special!!??!!?? new dinner after eldest's karate classes are over...something that's not subway!?!?:D

Again, I kid, I kid.....

CWDfense

I think this post is pretty spot on for my thoughts as well. I've been following the WDWmagic boards for about 10 years now and have finally decided to post. My wife and I have been going down to WDW once a year for the past 5 years. We were last down there in April and had these exact thoughts - "things are just stale". We've noticed the quality going down as well but still have a good time and haven't let it ruin things for us. It's really just the staleness of things, which is part of the reason we are going to California next month.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in. WDW1974, Lee and others, thanks for all the posts over the years - I've really enjoyed what you have said.

Wow. I'm at wdw now and just got some free time and read this whole thing. I know this has been said before but i don't understand why posters continue debate with others that is essentially pointless because it is just back and forth and you're not going to change the other's opinion. This thread would be much shorter if this didn't happen because I've found it to be a waste of time and energy.

But anyway my two cents.

I just got back from Epcot and animal kingdom today and am going to the magic kingdom for emh tonight. I have to say, first hand, the parks have changed. And not because of new rides, shows, or lower prices. Quite the opposite actually.

Epcot has always been one of my favorite parks and the novel concept has so much potential, yet from what I saw today, I wasn't impressed. So much empty space, it was kinda sad. I know others can dispute that the park quality is not as bad as posters make them seem, but actions speak louder than words. And you need to be in the parks first hand to see the reality. Just reading articles and going on a website doesnt do it justice. All the empty buildings in Epcot just sitting there. Innoventions was a ghost town. So much wasted land. And with test track closed, the crowds were pretty much centrally located at soarin. We went on everything. Nothing about the rides themselves was sub par, which is why I tend to be in the middle of pixie dust and doom and gloom in my opinions. The rides themselves are not bad, they just could do so much more with Epcot (same with animal kingdom) and it shows that the posters who have noted the staleness of the wdw parks have a lot of validity to their statements. And again, seeing it in first person truly does help see the reality.

This state of the parks post/ reality check may brief and general and im sorry but ill give a full review after i get back because i just dont have time. But with all this commotion that this thread has started i felt compelled to post this from the first person park perspective. For me at least it's quite clear. This doesn't mean I'm not having a good time either because this has been a great trip but that doesn't mean I don't see the wasted potential that everyone has been talking about. Hopefully the spirited change is coming.

And edit: this is my 18th trip to wdw so it's not like I'm saying these things just listening to the forums and going down for the first time. I have my own opinions and have been down to wdw a lot. I just wanted to say that to kinda give some more validity to my opinions.

Lee

Adventurer
Are we all feverishing planning how we're going to avoid all the bloggers/podcasters/Disney Lifestylers when we go to EPCOT on 10/1?
Close.
I'm planning the "Spirited Meet, Greet, Grope and Autograph Signing*".

Probably gonna have it upstairs at the Umbrella, immediately following whatever ceremony they decide to wow us all with. That way the fanboys can load up on 30th merchandise then pop straight up to meet the Spirited One.

*For a nominal fee, of course.

Buried20KLeague

Not only will I buy for you, but the gals too. I gots me loads of refillable mugs. Just pick the resort and we'll go in and sit and drink for hours (and then pee lots) and then drink even more free soda. Nothing but the best for you and the family!:D

I just shared this with the girls, to which they replied "That scary old man is going to steal soda???"...

I'm not sure which part of that to tell you not to focus on.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The location may prove to be redundant. Something like Tortuga Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe, Adventureland Veranda or Tomorrowland Terrace could reopen to spread out the dining crowds, but having two of the largest dining locations right next to each other very well may be redundant.

Different menus... it adds diversity and capacity - not just straight duplication for capacity reasons. Your comment would apply if they were duplicates.. but they aren't. Their only overlap is salad. PVH is pizza focus.. BoG lunch is meat sandwitch focused.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are we all just tired from last week's MAGICal hijinks here?

No, enjoying other entertainment outside the Mouse. Diversity keeps the gene pool strong..

A freaking 12yr old did a 1080 on the mega ramp. He's the only skater to ever land it. Pretty wild to watch (even tho my horrible phone video doesn't convey the scale of the mega ramp well)

Longhairbear

I dunno ... I always thought the villians idea was overdone by Disney in the late 90s. Look at Fantasmic ... look at the Villians Shop (that really isn't anymore) at TPFKaTD-MGMS and the one that no longer exists at DL and how many times they started using the Villians Vs. Mickey and Our Heros theme in stage shows, parades etc.

I find the villains being grouped together as bizarre as Snow White hanging with Belle or Aurora (unless it's on ABC's Once Upon a Time!)
We loved the Villian shop, I asked a CM for a Darleen Mouskateer T- Shirt. Only the older CM got the joke.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Moe's has a Monday Burrito special!!??!!?? new dinner after eldest's karate classes are over...something that's not subway!?!?:D

Again, I kid, I kid.....

Yep ... that has become a Monday routine as even we 1%ers need to save our money for when we escape the country.

It is $5 ... and a soda (with those great Coke Freestyle Machines ... I can sit and drink for hours, really!) adds 99 cents.

I do alternate between steak and chicken and every once in a while I'll do ground beef.

BTW, if Disney served that, it would probably be $13.69 plus $3.29 for a coke.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Close.
I'm planning the "Spirited Meet, Greet, Grope and Autograph Signing*".

Probably gonna have it upstairs at the Umbrella, immediately following whatever ceremony they decide to wow us all with. That way the fanboys can load up on 30th merchandise then pop straight up to meet the Spirited One.

*For a nominal fee, of course.

I like that ... No. 2 ... you're putting me on a lofty perch where I can look down upon the gaggle of fanbois wetting themselves over retro tees (and meeting me).

You will have to 'splain how much extra the groping will cost. And I/we do not take pins or vinyls as currency.

My only wish is some virus affects the social media crowd and half of them wind up too sick to attend (they'd come and infect everyone anyway because they tend to be a selfish bunch.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW1974 said:

I just shared this with the girls, to which they replied "That scary old man is going to steal soda???"...

I'm not sure which part of that to tell you not to focus on.

Oh, defintely the old part (although your girls probably think 25 is old!!!)

I am quite proud of the scary part, although I generally enjoy scaring older fanbois!

And I would hope you 'splained that it's not stealing if an evil multinational corporation starts without a policy, then has one that they inform guests of over and over again that allows for bringing those mugs back for free refills, and then years later decide to change things retroactively that it is not stealing ... and, even if it was, if they wish to get anywhere in life without taking all of Daddy's hard-earned $$$s that they must cut corners and simply take whatever they want.

And now I'm wiping Diet Coke off my iPad.
Classic.

iPad ... another damn Apple geek. You know, Steve Jobs was really not a nice man. And considering the reception my iPhone-loving pals get, I'd be careful that the Diet Coke doesn't cause the device to blow the house up.

Hopefully it was in a 1993 Dixie Landings mug, recently refilled.

My DL mug was a bit later ... think 1995. Was one of the first. The last was Pop right after it opened.

I'm thirsty now ... and nothing carbonated here, just some lemonade ... or scotch.

Kuhio

Yep ... that has become a Monday routine as even we 1%ers need to save our money for when we escape the country.

It is $5 ... and a soda (with those great Coke Freestyle Machines ... I can sit and drink for hours, really!) adds 99 cents.

The only Moe's around here closed a while back... I don't think it ever caught on like Baja Fresh and Chipotle in this part of the woods. Then again, the latter two chains don't seem to be doing that well lately either... I think the "Mexican grill" concept has recently faded a bit in the face of an onslaught of newish burger chains.

Love the Freestyle Machines, although I wish they had some of the Club Cool international flavors. Oddly, even with the countless combinations on offer, I seem to end up getting the same three or four every time...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The only Moe's around here closed a while back... I don't think it ever caught on like Baja Fresh and Chipotle in this part of the woods. Then again, the latter two chains don't seem to be doing that well lately either... I think the "Mexican grill" concept has recently faded a bit in the face of an onslaught of newish burger chains.

I like both of the chains you mentioned, but Baja didn't do well in SoFla. The one in my little affluent enclave was open maybe two years like eight years ago. Chipotle is here and while good, I can't help but feel I'm being ripped off there. Three tacos for $6.99. I'm a big eater and I'm hungry after that.

Love the Freestyle Machines, although I wish they had some of the Club Cool international flavors. Oddly, even with the countless combinations on offer, I seem to end up getting the same three or four every time...

Yes, that is true to a large extent. I tend to really enjoy Cherry-Vanilla Coke and wind up with that frequently ... my second refill was something new to me ... Cherry Mello Yellow, which I rather liked.

I am amused by how many folks will simply get a Diet Coke or a Sprite.

Oh, and I fully am aware I owe you an email. Been a crazy few days and haven't forgotten.

Californian Elitist

Chipotle is here and while good, I can't help but feel I'm being ripped off there. Three tacos for $6.99. I'm a big eater and I'm hungry after that.

Tell me about it. And they're stingy with their chicken and if you ask for extra they charge you a dollar fifty! Not to mention extra for guacamole. By the time your order is done, you will spend close to ten dollars. I can get real, authentic Mexican food for cheaper.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tell me about it. And they're stingy with their chicken and if you ask for extra they charge you a dollar fifty! Not to mention extra for guacamole. By the time your order is done, you will spend close to ten dollars. I can get real, authentic Mexican food for cheaper.

Yes, but you are lucky in where you live.

SoFl is great if you want Cuban food (I've got three Bongos within a 40 minute drive) and other Caribbean cuisine. But Mexican? Even fast food is very weak ... I don't believe Taco Bell is actual food.

Thankfully, Del Taco has reentered the FLA market (they were in the Tampa area in the 1980s, but pulled out) and they have one location about two miles from UNI near the outlets. ... A member of my family (NO, not me) can eat 17 of their tacos at a sitting (no, said member has no weight issues either)!

Californian Elitist

Yes, but you are lucky in where you live.

SoFl is great if you want Cuban food (I've got three Bongos within a 40 minute drive) and other Caribbean cuisine. But Mexican? Even fast food is very weak ... I don't believe Taco Bell is actual food.

Thankfully, Del Taco has reentered the FLA market (they were in the Tampa area in the 1980s, but pulled out) and they have one location about two miles from UNI near the outlets. ... A member of my family (NO, not me) can eat 17 of their tacos at a sitting (no, said member has no weight issues either)!

I guess you have a point. I don't even want to mention Taco Bell. That's been off my list for a year now. I can't stand Del Taco. I've questioned a lot of fast food joints after reading Fast Food Nation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom