Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

Kuhio

I think Del Taco is a slight upgrade from Taco Bell, but that's not really saying much!

I do appreciate Taco Bell's commercials, though -- I always get a laugh out of the one that suggests a bunch of teenagers or twentysomethings would actually drive 900 miles just to try a taco that has a Doritos shell. With the cost of gas these days, they could have had dozens of tacos and bags of Doritos apiece (plus avoided stopping at a sketchy gas station on the long drive home with "stomach pains").

The best Mexican food around here tends to be from food trucks -- the proliferation of which in urban markets is truly one of the best culinary developments of the last couple of years.

TP2000

I saw it about a year before it closed for good....it was interesting...although honestly I mostly remember the pre-show which definitely hadn't been updated since it was at WDW..the film was vintage early 70's all the way.

Now see, I could swear they had updated the pre-show film for the 1983 trip to Tokyo. They used the Disneyland castle, and a gaggle of happy, shiny children danced in front of the Disneyland Castle. It was clearly from the early 1980's feathery hair and preppy casual clothes era, instead of the 1971 hippie hair and Partridge Family mod-polyester clothes. You could just tell it was Early Reagan Era instead of Mid Nixon Era.

The music and graphics had not changed for Tokyo though, especially the brief use of the circa '71 WDW "D" logo as the pre-show began.

But from that one live-action clip you can tell they tried to update it a bit. Every time the music played in the Tokyo pre-show I had to fight to remain calm and not break into doing the Frug and the Monkey to the corny go-go music circa 1970. :D

Bolna

lebeau

Then why does The Haunted Mansion have the lasting appeal it does? I hear some kids are scared of Fantasmic, should we get rid of it?

HM isn't scary in the same way Snow White or Alien Encouter were. I think an entire Villains land or even a Villains ride would be the bad kind of scary.

And before you get too worked up, I am not suggesting anything be removed. I just think putting an attraction in MK that is based around the villains is an uphill battle. If the execution is great, it could work. But you are stacking the odds against success the minute you pick a theme that scares the target demo of the park.

You seem pretty entrenched in your opinion. So I doubt I'll sway you.

lebeau

Ahem, Haunted Mansion, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Space and Thunder Mountain, Mr. Toads Wild Ride (where you go to hell)...

The only one of those that I see as close to a direct comparisson is the Mansion. Pirates isn't really scary. Space and Thunder have height restrictions. Mr. Toad is gone now and really wasn't scary.

The Mansion is really only scary in the stretching room. Once kids get past that, they are fine. But the Mansion appeals to the whole family. A ride featuring cartoon characters is going to be seen as a kiddie ride by most people. Same as Snow White or Stitch. There is a very high chance it would scare little kids and have limited appeal to the general public who does not share the passion some people around here feel for the villains.

Go ask a non-Disney fan who or what a Chernabog is. Be prepared for funny looks.

Taylor

I like both of the chains you mentioned, but Baja didn't do well in SoFla. The one in my little affluent enclave was open maybe two years like eight years ago. Chipotle is here and while good, I can't help but feel I'm being ripped off there. Three tacos for $6.99. I'm a big eater and I'm hungry after that.

Yes, that is true to a large extent. I tend to really enjoy Cherry-Vanilla Coke and wind up with that frequently ... my second refill was something new to me ... Cherry Mello Yellow, which I rather liked.

I am amused by how many folks will simply get a Diet Coke or a Sprite.

Oh, and I fully am aware I owe you an email. Been a crazy few days and haven't forgotten.
I usually get cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper from those machines. How good is Baja Fresh saw them on undercover boss and looked delicious we don't have any around here in Oklahoma

cbconglom

I like both of the chains you mentioned, but Baja didn't do well in SoFla. The one in my little affluent enclave was open maybe two years like eight years ago. Chipotle is here and while good, I can't help but feel I'm being ripped off there. Three tacos for $6.99.

Yeah but you are paying for organic beans and real meat not just a cow standing in a foot of its own waste being pumped full of antibiotics to survive ;)

lazyboy97o

Ive never been to DL... but friends who travel out those ways always tell me Anaheim is a dive of a city
Like any place, it depends on where you go. There are lousy part of Orlando as well. But in Anaheim, you're not limited to just Disney or theme parks. There is the entirety of Southern California right there for one to explore and enjoy.

Animaniac93-98

HM isn't scary in the same way Snow White or Alien Encouter were. I think an entire Villains land or even a Villains ride would be the bad kind of scary.

For the 6 and under? Yes, it probably would be, but most people who visit MK are not. The ride's thrill based designed would also likely prohibit the youngest (and most frightended) guests from even riding it in the first place (likely a 40" height requirment like SM). As would the giant forebding wall outside the experience. Not to mention everyone and their children has a different reaction to what scares them. If 8 or 9 out of every 10 kids comes out fine, does the fact that 1 or 2 are scared make it wrong?

I brought up Fantasmic because it is a largely villain based experience in WDW, that while frightening to some, is loved by most who see it. If a ride (or land) did the same, I'd consider it a success.

But you are stacking the odds against success the minute you pick a theme that scares the target demo of the park.

I thought MK was for eveyone? At least its best loved attractions have broad appeal.

You seem pretty entrenched in your opinion. So I doubt I'll sway you.

I could say the same for you in this case.

In the same way one opinion could be criticised by having a "fan boy" perspective, so could one from a parent with younger children who may have different tastes and reactions on certain subjects than others. Not one alone could (or should) be acurately used to justify this kind of expansion decision.

And this is all coming from someone who was an easily frightened child, but who grew older and gained new and different interest in things.

ddbowdoin

Like any place, it depends on where you go. There are lousy part of Orlando as well. But in Anaheim, you're not limited to just Disney or theme parks. There is the entirety of Southern California right there for one to explore and enjoy.

yeah I agree... I still want to make it out there. I am seriously contemplating D23 next August, but I have this overwhelming sense that I'll be disappointed simply because of the lines required to get into certain presentations.

alissafalco

The first time I was in Disney I was 5 years old in 1980. I can tell you that I was not at all scared of HM or POTC. I remember those being 2 of my favorite rides. I was only scared in 1 part of SM because it was dark and you dropped at one point in the coaster and you couldn't see. That really is the only thing I ever remember being scary to me as a small child (I have no memory of Toad). SM had nothing to do with Villians so I really don't think you could compare that ride to the type of "scary" that a VV would be. I really don't think this would be a good idea for MK, and I'm glad that it never came to fruition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom