Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, it's true. It was designed and pitched for MK back in the early 2000's.
I've been trying to track down some art of it for years.

OK, so I guess I should have read down a few posts.

BTW, is it just me or are things pretty quiet?

Do we even have a thread on The Disney Post starting last week?

WDW1974

Original Poster
All I can say is that would have been awesome. Now I am depressed thinking about what could have been.

What Could Have Been: The Lament of a WDW Fanboi ... would make a GREAT title for a book ... because over the past 15 years I'd give up pretty much EVERY addition/change for pretty much ANY addition/change that never happened!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Knotts is "on the list". Truthfully on our trips to SoCal, we don't like spending much time away from DL. Like the place too much!

Knott's is a place I really want to like ... really. Since 1990 (first trip out) I have 'tried' the place out about every 6 years. And every time, I sorta have a decent time, but have no pull to return and think it could be so much more with the history and theming.

The last trip to Knott's was me staying a few miles away and dropping in to the Mrs. Knott's Chicken Kitchen for breakfast before an afternoon flight out of LAX. It was very good (not great).

Hope to do the Halloween Haunt this visit because Tony Baxter says it is the best event in SoCal.

On our last trip, we did stay a few days at a house right on The Strand on Hermosa Beach... Actually, it was the beach house from the original 90210 series! Nice place... People constantly stopped to take pictures of it and ask if we owned it, etc... It was a fun few days.

Oh, you are so sounding like a top one percenter there. I pretend that I am not because when the class warfare truly comes, you're gonna be eaten like it's a zombie apocalypse.

But I was very surprised how cold the water was. We'll probably stick to Florida for our beach stays because of that, if nothing else. Plus that way we don't sacrifice DL days... We sacrifice WDW days instead. ;)

I love the cold Pacific water, but would never go in beyond by knees ... they still think it's OK to pump sewerage right into the ocean, and if I wanted to swim in poo, I'd simply go to any WDW resort pool on any given day at any given time.

Shout out to Hib!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
As I think about it, the VV E-tic (Villian Mtn, Dark Mtn, whatever...) shared the same DNA as the new-style Pirates going into Shanghai, and nearly went to Hong Kong. Full size boats with a long drop at the end. More akin to Jurassic Park than Splash in some ways.

Would've whole area would have been done on a grand scale. And would have been awesome.

And don't underestimate the appeal of the villians. Never popular enough for their own park (despite fanboy rumors) but could easily support a mini-land of their own.

I dunno ... I always thought the villians idea was overdone by Disney in the late 90s. Look at Fantasmic ... look at the Villians Shop (that really isn't anymore) at TPFKaTD-MGMS and the one that no longer exists at DL and how many times they started using the Villians Vs. Mickey and Our Heros theme in stage shows, parades etc.

I find the villains being grouped together as bizarre as Snow White hanging with Belle or Aurora (unless it's on ABC's Once Upon a Time!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly.

The MK is not Cartoon Kingdom, with Exotic Cartoons land, Future + Space Cartoons Land, Western Cartoons Land and Strip Mall plus Princess M&G Street.

The MK's magic relies on careful placemaking and thematic integrity. These are at once the most basic and essential ingredients to the magic, and the least understood and most difficult to describe and maintain.

OK, I'm gonna assume this is like a Van Gogh post when it comes to sarcasm!

Placemaking and thematic integrity ... yeah, great stuff!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Mickey also featured in the Mickey Mouse Revue, which debuted at the Magic Kingdom before moving to Tokyo Disneyland in the early '80s.

Check it out on YouTube -- it was a charming show that featured a number of AAs of Disney characters (including some relatively obscure ones) that never appeared in AA form anywhere else. Many of the characters did look pretty dated, however, and the show was eventually replaced by Mickey's PhilHarmagic.

Don't remind me ... I made it to TDR months after it closed for good. Always wanted to see the show as an adult!

WDW1974

Original Poster
The location may prove to be redundant. Something like Tortuga Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe, Adventureland Veranda or Tomorrowland Terrace could reopen to spread out the dining crowds, but having two of the largest dining locations right next to each other very well may be redundant.

Is it really true that Be Our Guests meals INCLUDE a dessert, so you must pay for it ... and instead of classic French treats like say creme brulee, it's freaking Walmart cupcakes?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do PVH and the cast cafeteria share a kitchen? I don't really know how much closing a restaurant upstairs would affect the one downstairs or how separate they are. If you look at the satellite view, the entrance to the utilidors is directly behind PVH. They could theoretically knock down PVH and use that space to lead up to a big show building, as long as the vehicle traffic could still go underneath the show building. I'm imagining something like a parking deck where the utilidor level would be mostly unchanged and the upper level would be for show building. Complicated... sure, but it should be possible if they have something they want to put there.
The obstacles, as I see them:
1. Hiding the sides of the small world and Be Our Guest show buildings
2. Preserving backstage/utilidor traffic flow
3. There would come a point pretty quickly where that's the fireworks fallout zone; you would either need a Mermaid Lagoon/Epcot pavilion-like building with multiple attractions inside or a small guest area with a show building for a ride.

I have no idea what they would theme it as, but the idea of a big, AC'ed pavilion in MK sounds really nice!

they are not looking to ADD attractions to Fantasyland and the are not looking to close PVH down ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Don't remind me ... I made it to TDR months after it closed for good. Always wanted to see the show as an adult!

I saw it about a year before it closed for good....it was interesting...although honestly I mostly remember the pre-show which definitely hadn't been updated since it was at WDW..the film was vintage early 70's all the way.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
About the PVH building, I don't think there's any way they'd try to make an attraction in that space, its too small as it is.

Iif they were building it out over the utilidors it would just be way too disruptive to pretty much everything going in and out of MK

Rasvar

I saw it about a year before it closed for good....it was interesting...although honestly I mostly remember the pre-show which definitely hadn't been updated since it was at WDW..the film was vintage early 70's all the way.
Was it still the talking soundtrack? When I was young kid, I really loved that for some reason. I blame that talking soundtrack for me getting into so much technology.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Was it still the talking soundtrack? When I was young kid, I really loved that for some reason. I blame that talking soundtrack for me getting into so much technology.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it looked like it hadn't changed since the very first version at MK

Buried20KLeague

Knott's is a place I really want to like ... really. Since 1990 (first trip out) I have 'tried' the place out about every 6 years. And every time, I sorta have a decent time, but have no pull to return and think it could be so much more with the history and theming.

The last trip to Knott's was me staying a few miles away and dropping in to the Mrs. Knott's Chicken Kitchen for breakfast before an afternoon flight out of LAX. It was very good (not great).

Hope to do the Halloween Haunt this visit because Tony Baxter says it is the best event in SoCal.

Oh, you are so sounding like a top one percenter there. I pretend that I am not because when the class warfare truly comes, you're gonna be eaten like it's a zombie apocalypse.

I love the cold Pacific water, but would never go in beyond by knees ... they still think it's OK to pump sewerage right into the ocean, and if I wanted to swim in poo, I'd simply go to any WDW resort pool on any given day at any given time.

Shout out to Hib!!!

You know... That's the exact feeling I get about knotts. I see the photo update of SoCal parks that run on... Well... A different site... And in the updates I just don't see all that much that makes me think I really need to check the place out.

It's funny you mention their Halloween thing... Our last trip out there I tried to get the wife and older girls to go check it out, while I happily kept our little one at DL... But they just didn't want to leave the HM overlay and ghost galaxy.

And call me a 1%er if u like, but you're still buying on our next visit. ;)

asianway

OK, so I guess I should have read down a few posts.

BTW, is it just me or are things pretty quiet?

Do we even have a thread on The Disney Post starting last week?
Heather Hust Rivera left her DL blog beat to go to corporate in Jan '11-looks like this is the fruits of her labor

Tiggerrules

What Could Have Been: The Lament of a WDW Fanboi ... would make a GREAT title for a book ... because over the past 15 years I'd give up pretty much EVERY addition/change for pretty much ANY addition/change that never happened!

I think what I liked about the VV concept, is that it would have been something different and from what Lee was describing, a genuine E ticket ride included (unless they cut the budget as usual). To me FLE is just OK, the theming looks great, but the main ride of the area is a clone from the west that has been open for over a year. The mine ride will be a wait and see, not enough built to really see what it will be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know... That's the exact feeling I get about knotts. I see the photo update of SoCal parks that run on... Well... A different site... And in the updates I just don't see all that much that makes me think I really need to check the place out.

It's funny you mention their Halloween thing... Our last trip out there I tried to get the wife and older girls to go check it out, while I happily kept our little one at DL... But they just didn't want to leave the HM overlay and ghost galaxy.

It is a beautiful park in places and under new management they are really fixing things up (neglect and show quality). I think the Haunt is a good chance for me to start to see if I can really feel good about going back during the day.

And call me a 1%er if u like, but you're still buying on our next visit. ;)

Not only will I buy for you, but the gals too. I gots me loads of refillable mugs. Just pick the resort and we'll go in and sit and drink for hours (and then pee lots) and then drink even more free soda. Nothing but the best for you and the family!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Heather Hust Rivera left her DL blog beat to go to corporate in Jan '11-looks like this is the fruits of her labor

Just surprised that no one is talking about it.

Are we busy reading Tom Bricker's reviews of OKW and Grand Cali (where he may or may not have paid something to stay, but if he did it wasn't much, which at least he put in his review)?

Are we all sitting on the phones waiting to book the Be Our Guest dinner with cupcakes?

Are we all back to school today (school's been out for this Spirit for a long time)?

Are we all simply enjoying a shower with a friend (to save water, of course)?

Are we all out eating the Monday Moe's Burrito special?

Are we all feverishing planning how we're going to avoid all the bloggers/podcasters/Disney Lifestylers when we go to EPCOT on 10/1?

Are we all just tired from last week's MAGICal hijinks here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom