Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Would that be an act of wonton violence?
laugh2.gif

You know, even when set up, one has to deliver. ... And like the Chinese delivery kid on the bike, you sir ... you just delivered.:D

(If I had a penny for every time I saw "wanton soup" on a Chinese menu... I've often thought about offering my services to help give some menus a once-over for typos and other errors -- not necessarily free of charge, but I'd gladly accept modest recompense in the form of a good noodle soup!)

I've often thought I could always move to China (and politically that is becoming more appealing daily!) and work on translations. Some of the translations I have encountered when living/working there are so bizarre they defy description. ... Of course that's why one of my favorite local places for dim sum in Beijing is The Golden Tripod Attic. Really!

I would guess that those who most see themselves and their attitudes reflected in the comment are also most apt to disagree vehemently with its accuracy.

Absolutely. But it IS true.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm late on this but can someone explain how an addition not even open at all yet can prove all criticism "utterly false" ... granted I didn't major in logic.

Logic?!?!

Frank is off his meds again. What do you expect?

Besides, his one visit to WDW about 11 years ago clearly makes him an expert on all that goes on there and, elsewhere, in the Disney UNIverse.

Rasvar

Yeah because one weirdo in a SW costume said something to another while standing at a urinal and it spread from there.

There simply won't be any more SW in Disney's parks. I have no idea why ... but there won't.

I won't say never but I think Lucas has to die before it happens. He probably wouldn't want to do what Disney wants.

M.rudolf

I agree... but friends tell me DL really, really butts up on Anaheim and the dive areas... whereas WDW really isn't in Orlando and with DME you just cruise the highway and never see an actual downtown city area.
The dive areas in Orlando are just as close and in a lot of ways the crime is more widespread. You can cruise right up the highway to get to DL. I find it funny that a lot of people have to make excuses for not traveling. I live in New Orleans, probably the crime capital of the states, like anywhere else if you mind your business and be aware of your surroundings, everything will be ok. If Anaheim were unsafe Disney wouldn't invest the money into it. You can go anywhere in the world and it can be unsafe. With all the security Disney has its probably one of the safest areas in the world. We also drove from Anaheim to L.A. and had no issues.

nor'easter

Well, let's be blunt here and hope the mods have the understanding to let the post stay. But WDW's bread and butter USA guest is WHITE and from less urbanized areas (meaning diversity to them is the one Chinese family that moved to town and runs the restaurant in the Walmart strip center). Many of those folks don't enjoy people that don't look, speak or (most importantly) think like they do. They are afraid of differences instead of embracing them and realizing that that is what has made this county great (not white dudes on Wall Street pulling strings!) ... And, yes, this will be part of my Mental Health and the Disney Fan Community: How Pixie Dust Destroys Brains tome, one day.

And the look/think profile is increasingly reminicent of the humans in Wall-E. Seriously, did the writers draw these characters from WDW visitors?

juan

There's been a lot of chatter of late about WDW and its response to Potter (or lack thereof), but WDW no longer needs just a Potter Swatter or a Transformers Trasher ... and apparently the suits are starting to get VERY worried.
And, yes, that's why you've heard of grandiose plans to redo TPFKaTD-MGMS and drop part of Carsland in (actually as near as I can tell, it's simply RSRs, a shop, and a snack stand, but it could well be more and I don't know what has been proposed to whom at this point). ... Because of the Pandoran Delegations delays in bringing blue aliens to DAK, there's a strong push to get this done and started soon (like as soon as the next fiscal year) and have it open first.
Right now TDO is running scared (like a fanboi an at Imagineering party who has just tried a 'special' punch and feels a little 'funny'). They have a stale product. They realize (even if some fanbois don't) FINALLY that the modest Fantasyland project isn't enough and they know getting aliens into DAK is not going to be an easy or quick task at all. They also get that timeshare sales may make the bottom line look vastly better than it should, but those won't last forever.
Again, I really think this will be GOOD news down the road. But look for more cost cutting, penny pinching and cast and guest screwing until we get there!

I'll have to agree with you. WDW has only been getting duplicates for many years - TSMM, Soarin, etc. What's to stop them from duplicating RSRs? The design and engineering is already done. Heck, the only unique things from FLE are the facades and the BatB restaurant; LM and 7DMT are duplicates where the design and engineering bill was footed by others. Are Everest and the American Idol the only recent "unique" attractions in the last few years?

Taylor

Well, let's be blunt here and hope the mods have the understanding to let the post stay. But WDW's bread and butter USA guest is WHITE and from less urbanized areas (meaning diversity to them is the one Chinese family that moved to town and runs the restaurant in the Walmart strip center). Many of those folks don't enjoy people that don't look, speak or (most importantly) think like they do. They are afraid of differences instead of embracing them and realizing that that is what has made this county great (not white dudes on Wall Street pulling strings!) ... And, yes, this will be part of my Mental Health and the Disney Fan Community: How Pixie Dust Destroys Brains tome, one day.

I dunno ... but this soup was better on Saturday. Maybe I should order a pizza and have it delivered?
74 I like your posting style usually but this one was off in a lot of ways it seems like #1 you were saying most white people were racist and #2 that whites were the only race that were racist well that is just not true. And if I'm inferring wrong (probably am) I apologize

docandsix

I would guess that those who most see themselves and their attitudes reflected in the comment are also most apt to disagree vehemently with its accuracy.

Of course you intend that this assertion serve as a moral trap, like the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

There's no good answer. Either one agrees with you, in which case WDW1974's racist assertion stands unchallenged, or one is automatically guilty of the crime you're accusing him of having committed. Philosophically, it's nothing more than begging the question (the fallacy of suggesting a proposition that assumes its answer among its premises), but it's a clever piece of rhetorical judo--disingenuous, but clever.

I don't really know where this thread is headed anymore, but if we've wandered into taking people's vacationing proclivities and performing bizarre, contortionist, psychological analysis of them in order to prove that subjective preferences are objectively disordered based on an underlying subtext of latent antisocial bias, then perhaps we should take this discussion to graduate school.

Maybe people just prefer that their fantasy vacation, the naive illusion they spent so much to see realized, remain relatively undisturbed by the intrusion of harsh, cold, impersonal urban reality.

Clever Name

Of course you intend that this assertion serve as a moral trap, like the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

There's no good answer. Either one agrees with you, in which case WDW1974's racist assertion stands unchallenged, or one is automatically guilty of the crime you're accusing him of having committed. Philosophically, it's nothing more than begging the question (the fallacy of suggesting a proposition that assumes its answer among its premises), but it's a clever piece of rhetorical judo--disingenuous, but clever.
That's a regular feature of most WDW1974 threads. I find it to be entertaining and I enjoy legerdemain.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The dive areas in Orlando are just as close and in a lot of ways the crime is more widespread. You can cruise right up the highway to get to DL. I find it funny that a lot of people have to make excuses for not traveling. I live in New Orleans, probably the crime capital of the states, like anywhere else if you mind your business and be aware of your surroundings, everything will be ok. If Anaheim were unsafe Disney wouldn't invest the money into it. You can go anywhere in the world and it can be unsafe. With all the security Disney has its probably one of the safest areas in the world. We also drove from Anaheim to L.A. and had no issues.

Yes. But if you travel by DME and stay on WDW property for your entire stay, you can pretend that the world doesn't exist.

So be it that there may be pervs in the wave pool (or locker rooms) at BB ... so be it that many of the minimum wage cast hate their jobs and the people they serve ... so be it that much of the infrastructure that exists is falling apart and 'could' be dangerous in certain cases ... so be it that you could have a domestic abuser or child abuser in the next room to you etc etc etc.

I love this fantasy that WDW is immune to the real world when it actually exists in said world ... it's all just a Pixie Dusted illusion mixed with great PR. The issue is that people refuse to acknowledge it's an illusion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll have to agree with you. WDW has only been getting duplicates for many years - TSMM, Soarin, etc. What's to stop them from duplicating RSRs? The design and engineering is already done. Heck, the only unique things from FLE are the facades and the BatB restaurant; LM and 7DMT are duplicates where the design and engineering bill was footed by others. Are Everest and the American Idol the only recent "unique" attractions in the last few years?

Yes, I believe they are.

Unless, you're counting minor things like the Kim Possible (now Phineas and Ferb) World Showcase Adventure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
74 I like your posting style usually but this one was off in a lot of ways it seems like #1 you were saying most white people were racist and #2 that whites were the only race that were racist well that is just not true. And if I'm inferring wrong (probably am) I apologize

You did misunderstand me, but that's OK ... I was simply stating that many people who are not exposed to diversity, and that's a large segment of the domestic visitorship, are afraid of it. Doesn't mean that they're haters (some, of course, are) just that they have very little experience with people from differing backgrounds. That is a fact.

I didn't get into racism at all and would hope we can steer the discussion away from any such nonsense.

tdpolo26

The Mine Train will be built in Shanghai.
so it will be original for a year or two possibly....considering most people will never see shanghai but have a higher likelyhood of seeing disneyland i am just happy they are not copying it to there...i would love if they would stop copying every big ride on the same continent. not as big a deal for me if they make a copy elsewhere in the world

Taylor

You did misunderstand me, but that's OK ... I was simply stating that many people who are not exposed to diversity, and that's a large segment of the domestic visitorship, are afraid of it. Doesn't mean that they're haters (some, of course, are) just that they have very little experience with people from differing backgrounds. That is a fact.

I didn't get into racism at all and would hope we can steer the discussion away from any such nonsense.
Yes I agree and after re-reading your original post I understand what you meant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom