Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Back to poor planning at WDW. I was at MK last night and maybe it is just me. But with the late addition of the SW mine train ride the sightlines of that ride seem to totally ruin the view of the LMR by plopping a big hill right in front of it. Looking at the SW mine train and the size of it. Is this ride gonna be like a minute long. I am sure that is gonna really up capacity. Just what we need at WDW another short ride with crappy capacity that will have long lines.
I actually think the positioning will work very well with creating depth to that area of the park. For me, I don't want to see LM on its own on the horizon. I will certainly reserve judgment until it is done.

jt04

Back to poor planning at WDW. I was at MK last night and maybe it is just me. But with the late addition of the SW mine train ride the sightlines of that ride seem to totally ruin the view of the LMR by plopping a big hill right in front of it. Looking at the SW mine train and the size of it. Is this ride gonna be like a minute long. I am sure that is gonna really up capacity. Just what we need at WDW another short ride with crappy capacity that will have long lines.

The mountain was designed into the FLE in the first version too. You are not supposed to see Mermaid from the courtyard as the area will function something like the lands in WS. Mini lands if you will to create immersive experiences. It will be an awesome effect IMO. They are creating an area to be explored. It isn't an amusement park. The mountain will be awesome.

I think criticisms like yours are based on the early opinion that the FLE was a weak add. Now that this is being proven uttrely false all the criticism has become convoluted. Sad.

SirLink

The mountain was designed into the FLE in the first version too. You are not supposed to see Mermaid from the courtyard as the area will function something like the lands in WS. Mini lands if you will to create immersive experiences. It will be an awesome effect IMO. They are creating an area to be explored. It isn't an amusement park. The mountain will be awesome.

I think criticisms like yours are based on the early opinion that the FLE was a weak add. Now that this is being proven uttrely false all the criticism has become convoluted. Sad.

Where is the mountain? There is a hill, no mountain though. Also early, late or even mid afternoon with a snack it is a weak addition. I'm all about the cumulatives and what have we actually gained, a French restaurant that is not really french - with an executive chef who couldn't control his team during the opening of Aulani. Great!

Californian Elitist

The location around Disneyland looks NOTHING like a downtown. These statements make me laugh sometimes.

This is Downtown LA and Anaheim (Disneyland) doesn't look like this.

8888.jpg

In the end, does it really matter?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have to imagine that stance would change when he dies and his eldest (adopted)daughter inherits the rights though. But if a Spirit could maybe dig us the real reason ?

Also, before this happens he will be passing the reigns of Lucasfilm off to Kathleen Kennedy. It's yet to be seen how much control he gives up though.

SirLink

Also, before this happens he will be passing the reigns of Lucasfilm off to Kathleen Kennedy. It's yet to be seen how much control he gives up though.

Thats true, I forgot that she will assume GL responsibilities. But even then if TWDC go to the LucasFilm and talk up a land - GL is going to have a say in matters, until his death that won't change.

M.rudolf

That's like the pot calling the kettle black. You've based opinions on weaker info than this. By the way how can you criticize George Lucas, he did what he wanted with his franchise, how many people can say that. Star Wars will be worth billions for a long time. I may not like the prequels or some of Lucas's decisions but he did it the way he wanted to an that takes guts

WDW1974

Original Poster
I actually think the positioning will work very well with creating depth to that area of the park. For me, I don't want to see LM on its own on the horizon. I will certainly reserve judgment until it is done.

I would agree with this. You can't tell much of anything at this stage because all you have is a shell up ... I think it's going to look quite nice when complete.

Now, I don't think this is a big deal addition like some do, but that's another subject.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree... but friends tell me DL really, really butts up on Anaheim and the dive areas... whereas WDW really isn't in Orlando and with DME you just cruise the highway and never see an actual downtown city area.

Yeah, people who tend to enjoy Fl.... I mean WDW and don't want to go anywhere else and are afraid of strange new places tend to say things like that.

I'm not denying there are some working class neighborhoods nearby the resort, but except for those behind the DLH and PPH ... separated by parking lots and big concrete walls (to keep the flesh-eaters from plucking one of your children), they are pretty much miles away and separated by major arteries like the Santa Ana Freeway.

And, again, more people visit WDW and stay OFF property than on. I know that's hard for some here to believe, but it is true, so who knows what frights they are exposed to?

lazyboy97o

I would agree with this. You can't tell much of anything at this stage because all you have is a shell up ... I think it's going to look quite nice when complete.

Now, I don't think this is a big deal addition like some do, but that's another subject.
This seems to be a distinction people have trouble understanding. The two are not one in the same. There is no contradiction in thinking that the area will be nice and beautiful, and that it will not be something extraordinary. It's a high end mall, not a vibrant urban center (but those are scary so maybe high end mall may be the best there is :D).

Kuhio

I agree... but friends tell me DL really, really butts up on Anaheim and the dive areas... whereas WDW really isn't in Orlando and with DME you just cruise the highway and never see an actual downtown city area.

This image of cruising the highway in Disney's sparkling magical bus and assiduously avoiding an "actual downtown city area" amuses me! It's like a scene from a movie where Ma and Pa cross over into the city limits in their '70s-era station wagon and Ma tells Pa to "lock the doors and roll up the windows" because they're entering an "urban" area populated by unsavories.
laugh2.gif

And I love so-called "dive areas"... that's where you'll usually find the best food, especially if you're looking for "ethnic" food!
i.gif
(What is "ethnic" food supposed to mean anyway? Everybody is "ethnic"...)

WDW1974

Original Poster
This seems to be a distinction people have trouble understanding. The two are not one in the same. There is no contradiction in thinking that the area will be nice and beautiful, and that it will not be something extraordinary. It's a high end mall, not a vibrant urban center (but those are scary so maybe high end mall may be the best there is :D).

Yes, that is it.

The MK will look vastly better in 2014 than in did in 2009. No doubt whatsoever.

But when I hear folks talk about it being WDI's finest work, I wanna hurl wontons. They've obviously never been to TDS ... or DLP ... or even paid attention to the detailing at DAK. This isn't Disney's finest work by any stretch.

No matter what a Mommy Blogger who just got a free $600 dinner at Jiko tells you!

WDW1974

Original Poster
This image of cruising the highway in Disney's sparkling magical bus and assiduously avoiding an "actual downtown city area" amuses me! It's like a scene from a movie where Ma and Pa cross over into the city limits in their '70s-era station wagon and Ma tells Pa to "lock the doors and roll up the windows" because they're entering an "urban" area populated by unsavories.
laugh2.gif

Well, let's be blunt here and hope the mods have the understanding to let the post stay. But WDW's bread and butter USA guest is WHITE and from less urbanized areas (meaning diversity to them is the one Chinese family that moved to town and runs the restaurant in the Walmart strip center). Many of those folks don't enjoy people that don't look, speak or (most importantly) think like they do. They are afraid of differences instead of embracing them and realizing that that is what has made this county great (not white dudes on Wall Street pulling strings!) ... And, yes, this will be part of my Mental Health and the Disney Fan Community: How Pixie Dust Destroys Brains tome, one day.

And I love so-called "dive areas"... that's where you'll usually find the best food, especially if you're looking for "ethnic" food!
i.gif
(What is "ethnic" food supposed to mean anyway? Everybody is "ethnic"...)

I dunno ... but this soup was better on Saturday. Maybe I should order a pizza and have it delivered?

Kuhio

But when I hear folks talk about it being WDI's finest work, I wanna hurl wontons.

Would that be an act of wonton violence?
laugh2.gif

(If I had a penny for every time I saw "wanton soup" on a Chinese menu... I've often thought about offering my services to help give some menus a once-over for typos and other errors -- not necessarily free of charge, but I'd gladly accept modest recompense in the form of a good noodle soup!)

Well, let's be blunt here and hope the mods have the understanding to let the post stay. But WDW's bread and butter USA guest is WHITE and from less urbanized areas (meaning diversity to them is the one Chinese family that moved to town and runs the restaurant in the Walmart strip center). Many of those folks don't enjoy people that don't look, speak or (most importantly) think like they do. They are afraid of differences instead of embracing them and realizing that that is what has made this county great (not white dudes on Wall Street pulling strings!)

I would guess that those who most see themselves and their attitudes reflected in the comment are also most apt to disagree vehemently with its accuracy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom