Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

juan

Carsland at DCA didn't start construction until 2010. It opened in 2012.
Carsland started in 09
I took this myself in Aug 09
IMG_1469.JPG

So not the 6 years, but not the 2 years either

WDW1974

Original Poster
What a way to grab some attention for an online whose time is passed. Sorry, Jim, it isn't 1998 or 2001 or 2004. No one really cares what you say much. If it wasn't for alligning yourself with Len Testa's empire (which has attracted such diverse online personalites as old pal Merfie -- henceforth to be known as King of the EPCOT Fanbois -- to All-American buddy Tom Bricker) I doubt anyone would pay you any mind whatsoever. I certainly don't think Disney would waste credentials on you and your current wife and your former wife and your daughter and her new stepdaddy and ... who the hell else knows?

I couldn't help but notice your condecending tone was back too. It always amazes me that you feel you need to educate fans on basics like Disney being a business (who knew, right?) and that WDW is larger than DL (again, shocking.) I also couldn't help but note you finally decided to use the Glendale-approved 'fanbois' spelling. I wonder why you suddenly thought to do so.

Your arguments are lame at best and reflect an apologist, a Defender of Medicority as your old pal (who I believe was one of multiple web owners who fired you back in the day), mindset. Bringing in things like Golden Oak mini-mansions and timeshare and hotel developments as excuses for why WDW's four parks are stale and neglected really is just sad. Do you need the invite to December's event that badly and Thomas Smith hasn't gotten back to you yet? Does Jenn 'Blondie' Baker not answer your emails?

To quote you, ''But to certain Disney fanbois, none of this sort of reinvestment ever really matters.''

You are right. I couldn't give a flying eff that WDW has become a real estate venture with theme parks as ancillary businesses. And I also couldn't care less that you feel the very minor theme park additions/replacements that have come online, or are about to, in any way compare to what Disney is doing in Anaheim and what UNI is doing right up I-4.

Seriously, Jim, was this just a pathetic attempt for attention-grabbing in advance of EPCOT's 30th because you don't matter as much as folks like Mongello, Corless and Brigante, who created a cottage industry by taking what you started and building on it until it became a lifestyle?
Back to your column, (why do I feel like I'm a sad Clint Eastwood talking to a chair?) ''Does saying / writing something like this make me a Disney apologist? Nah.""

Actually, it makes you something much worse.

A sellout.

And you damn well know it. If you want to talk about it, please join our MAGICal community, there's room for one more.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Got to love cut and paste. Makes for portable thread responses. . .
Don't waste anytime coming to King's Island. Same old same old, but I do think the napkins may be themed. . .
We will b heading to UNI-Orlando next March for a Fame Show Choir event. Looking forward to it. My daughter wants to do Disneyland for a 'Senior" trip. Next year may be a good time to do it. Of course, if more announcements are on the way, would waiting another year or two be wiser?

I wouldn't wait. DL will be seeing projects for years to come. ... Now (or next year for you) is as good a time as any to just do it.

It's DLR ... you can't not enjoy it unless you have no heart or are a WDW addict who thinks the size of fake castles equates with quality.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But Disney is having to deal with a lot more permitting, labor issues, and other red-tape that they didn't have to worry as much about in 1982.

Epcot only took as long as its critical path items. With enough labor, equipment, and money anything could get done in a quick amount of time.
Hypothetically, you could have 20+ paving crews and pave all of Epcot's paths in the entire park in a week or two.

I do see that the labor-intensive rock work and monitoring the spending so that the money falls into the right month's/quarter's budgets is keeping many of the new projects very slow. Until TDO is ready to spend all of the money upfront, the progress will be slow,

You said it, Juan. Spending. That's what it comes down to.

UNI has been going practically 24/7 with Transformers. It ain't like it can't be done ... Disney has to want to do it.

I've watched amazingly huge and complex projects get built from Las Vegas to Beijing in the time it takes Disney to build a snack stand at EPCOT (that's a very slight exaggeration).

Fantasyland taking five years is a travesty for what is being built. It should all be done now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Carsland started in 09
I took this myself in Aug 09
IMG_1469.JPG

So not the 6 years, but not the 2 years either

OK, so some of the first prep work (removing the parking pavement) had been done in August of 2009.

But even if you want to give it to them, then I'll still say it was completed in AT MOST three years from start to finish and that's a whole lot better than five for a much more minor project.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What scares me is Disney's track record of building American theme parks since EPCOT. Disney-MGM Studios was a rush job to beat USF, DAK had major areas incomplete at the time of opening (rushed to beat IOA), and DCA simply was a mess. The entire makeover that everyone is jumping for joy about occurred because DCA 1.0 was a failure. Given how Disney can't seem to build even a modest land expansion in less than 5 years (while Universal keeps pumping out new attractions and lands), I'm really wondering if Disney is competent anymore, except maybe when it comes to building more DVC. They seem to have that down pat.

What's going on at Disney?[/quote]

I'm not sure they know. So how can we?

But they are capable when they put their minds to it. All you have to do is take a look at DCA 2.0 ... or HKDL's expansion ... or even the new ships.

The point I will keep driving home until things change or Disney pays me a lot to either work for them or simply go silent (hey, we all have our price, I've never met a man or woman who couldn't be bought!) is they want to do the very least possible in O-Town and this has fundamentally been a part of TDO's business model since the mid-90s.

Why can UNI do the amazing stuff it is doing? Because it has a different mindset and model for its parks.

ParentsOf4

Yes, but to be fair it is a pretty sign!
I think I'm going to be sick. You had me convinced WDW was about to turn a corner. Now Avatar is on hold and Disney holds a press conference about stands. I'm sure the next one will be about the garbage cans they're repainting using the money they saved by eliminating the 3rd hour of evening EMH. The worst part is all the pixie dust sniffers who make excuses for the pathetic Disney management.

RSoxNo1

I have said the same thing and stand behind it.

That stands to reason. The two weeks post Labor Day are the slowest of the year. They weren't much better at DL ... talked to a friend yesterday while he waited in the extremely long 15-minute single riders line for RSRs at DCA after waiting 10 minutes to walk on Space Mountain and didn't wait at all for PoC across the esplanade. I'm really wishing I was out there already. I have the feeling the crowds will arrive with the Spirit.

Are you staying on property? Giving Disney your money for the Pixie Dust and MAGICal buses?
Yep... Free dining and all. I'll be off property in January.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No. The worst part is the fact that there are people that continue to subject themselves to something that brings them so much anguish it makes them sick.

I think that's being a bit overdramatic (but it is a fall election season, after all!)

I will keep 'subjecting' myself to WDW because I love the place and I remember what it used to be and realize what it could be (see, I still have an imagination unlike most TDO suits).

WDW doesn't make me sick. Fans ...no, so-called self-proclaimed fans who think WDW can do no wrong and has never been better, they ... THEY MAKE ME SICK!

(where is the puking smiley?)

ParentsOf4

No. The worst part is the fact that there are people that continue to subject themselves to something that brings them so much anguish it makes them sick.
Happy to see you've enjoyed watching WDW decline in the last 12 years from The Happiest Place on Earth to a Walmarted amusement park. My passsion for WDW goes back to the very beginning and will continue to the day I die. There once was a time when Disney was considered the ultimate corporate example of customer focus and innovation. It's very sad to see what this "management team" is doing to it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't really think anyone who posts here is an idiot. That really doesn't add any value to the conversation.

Oh c'mon, now ... you REALLY feel that way? Out of ALL the posters who come and go and some come back, you'd say that?

(not that that was what nor'easter likely meant)

asianway

Happy to see you've enjoyed watching WDW decline in the last 12 years from The Happiest Place on Earth to a Walmarted amusement park. My passsion for WDW goes back to the very beginning and wll continue to the day I die. There once was a time when Disney was considered the ultimate corporate example of customer focus and innovation. It's very sad to see whar this "management team" is doing to it.
Happiest place on earth still is just that-it's the Vacation Kingdom of the World that lost it's way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom