Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

Cosmic Commando

I understand you doing so. And that's fine ... but Disney can't be slow any longer. They are taking the TTA when UNI and SW are building high speed rail. Something's gotta give.

In 1982 without any of the amazing technology available today, Disney built EPCOT Center in three years from shovel to opening.

Today? It takes five years to get meet-greet-and-gropes and kiddie coasters opened.

You can't compete like that. It just won't work. There are people at TDO that finally know that ...
Third bus loop coming to MK bus stop... should take about a year. A year for a bus loop!
http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...rails-and-roadways-to-meet-increasing-growth/

Kuhio

If you want to talk about it, please join our MAGICal community, there's room for one more.
Just like the Haunted Mansion.
biggrin.gif

And, incidentally, we're full of Spirits here as well!
ezra.gif

(where is the puking smiley?)
bleurgh.gif

ChrisM

Obviously, I don't know (or maybe I do, who knows, small world and all that jazz) who you know. I do know that the vast majority of uber-wealthy people I have met (those worth $100 million and up) all UNIversally either grew up with money or married into it. None of them were ever middle class, let alone working class or poor ... well except for some NBA players. But we aren't talking about Shaq or LeBron or Kevin Durrant here, are we?

I don't know anyone of note in the entertainment industry or any famous athletes. The billionaires I know and those I have rubbed elbows with all started from fairly humble beginnings and are in fairly disparate industries (transportation and real estate, technology, restauranteur). Again, if you want to compare notes feel free to PM me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But Disney is having to deal with a lot more permitting, labor issues, and other red-tape that they didn't have to worry as much about in 1982

Don't agree. Plus we forget what Disney produced during that time period not directly tied to construction.

Built the most advanced omnimover yet..
Produced not one, but multiple large format 70mm films...
Produced cutting edge computer animation..
Designed entirely new centralized show control
Designed the trackless theater for energy
Created the largest AAs built to date
Built some of the largest AA shows to date
Built new AA concepts like the walking Franklin and changing sets

Epcot demonstrated not so much the speed of the company but the insane ambition the company had and the nuts to set the opening date and stick to it before they even knew what they were building.

The boldness of what was tackled then and the sheer scale in terms of world firsts... All tackled simultaneously is what makes Epcot really the pinnacle of Disney theme park vision.

Since then Disney may have built prettier things, but no where have they come close to tackling problems and goals as grand as Epcot. And to do those things at that kind of pace really makes the current Disney look foolish.

Epcot only took as long as its critical path items. With enough labor, equipment, and money anything could get done in a quick amount of time.

It was more than that. Just mere months before opening... Entire pavilions had not even broken ground.. Communicore went up in weeks!

With all the digital design and computer aided design Disney can do now.. They still can't design or build anywhere near the pace the company should be able to. They are bloated and take longer than ever to complete simply projects.

They can still decorate almost the entire park in one night.. But it takes them upwards of two years to clear an old building and build new bathrooms..

Rasvar

I disagree.

EPCOT didn't have any corners cut. TDS didn't. DLP either etc.

The time Disney is taking to build small-scale projects is maddening. Moving a spinner becomes a giant production for them. C'mon!

It might be semantics. I talk fasttracking in planning and design. Once shovel hits the ground, I have no issue with fasttracking the construction. That is really a matter of throwing enough man power and money at it. I just want them to properly develop a concept and not kneejerk throw something somewhere. I'm scared to death of Test Track 2.0. I hope it is not another Imagination style debacle. So think of this as large scale project development and not wanting another small scale project. I agree with you on taking way too long on the little stiff.

Edit PS: this does not mean take forever. They still need to speed up the processes. I just don't want them to take the shortcuts they have in the past when they decide to fasttrack something that usually means reduction in quality.

WildcatDen

It's DLR ... you can't not enjoy it unless you have no heart or are a WDW addict who thinks the size of fake castles equates with quality.
As they say, size matters. . .:rolleyes:
I am sure we would enjoy it. There is no doubt about that. Just trying to factor cost when we are already on the hook for a Show Choir Trip next March and a potential Marching Band trip to WDW next November.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Happiest place on earth still is just that-it's the Vacation Kingdom of the World that lost it's way

It didn't lose its way so much as choose a new 'lifestyle' ... one that many don't agree with because it's one where real estate sales and hotels are the top dog and the theme parks are little pussy cats.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh. Got it. Generally there is a slander about being greedy when referring to that group of "idiots". I got confused.

Let me get this straight , but are you saying that WDW management isn't greedy and they're being slandered? And, if so, what exactly do you base that opinion on?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Let me get this straight (or at least bi-curious), but are you saying that WDW management isn't greedy and they're being slandered? And, if so, what exactly do you base that opinion on?
Based on no formal charges of wrong doing. No convictions by a jury.

Are they guilty of doing unpopular things? Yes. Are they guilty of profiting illegally. No.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom