Disney(World) vs. Disney(land)?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nope.
The disclaimer on the ticket clearly states that there will be no refunds in the event that cancellation is necessary due to inclement weather, terrorist attack, or attempt on the Spirit's life.

As an alternative, all Spirited M,G and G event tickets will be honored at our other premium event, the "Follow Martin Around the Park Like a Creepy Stalker History Walk."

I must ask, did you get into Gramps moonshine cellar? ... 'cause you should be deli meat since you are on a ROLL!

alissafalco

Totally understandable. We're also coming from different point of views. For years Disneyland got the short end of the stick, while more parks kept popping up in Florida. When they finally decide to give us a second gate, it was done on the cheap, with no love and thought put into it. Talk about feeling jipped. DCA 1.0 was total crap, though over the years it improved. They decide to basically start over, and expand the park. The park is now worthy of sitting across the legend on the other side, with the heart and soul of the expansion being Cars Land, more specifically RSR. The first thing TDO wants to do is copy it. We just got it for Pete's sake! Give us a break. I hate the thought of the heart and soul of DCA being built somewhere else. I understand DHS is in bad shape but they need to think of something else to put in there. Honestly, I don't see how Cars Land fits the park's theme anyway. They need to think of something else and I don't want Indy in Florida either. I was kind of upset to learn it had been copied in Tokyo.

Yes, I totally agree 100%!!! Star Wars land would be the ultimate land to have. It would blow away Carsland and Potter. I know, I know, it's not happening, but Disney should really re-think their business dealings with Lucas and maybe learn a lesson or two from their dealings with Jk Rowling.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You did misunderstand me, but that's OK ... I was simply stating that many people who are not exposed to diversity, and that's a large segment of the domestic visitorship, are afraid of it. Doesn't mean that they're haters (some, of course, are) just that they have very little experience with people from differing backgrounds. That is a fact.

Come on.. you act like the entire eastern US is rural Iowa... your assertion forgets that metroplex that is DC-Boston. All of which is very diverse.

lobelia

Come on.. you act like the entire eastern US is rural Iowa... your assertion forgets that metroplex that is DC-Boston. All of which is very diverse.

My day-to-day life experience better matches the phenomena described by WDW1971. I live east of the Mississipi. I would also mention that just because you live in a diverse area does not mean that meaningful interaction takes place among different cultures in the US.

IWant2GoNow

They have.

TDO requested a slightly scaled-down version of Radiator Springs Racers for DHS.

WDI designed it, but then it went through the rigorous TDO budgeting process.

The result: (hysterical but hyperbolically accurate photo chopped)

Wow, couldn't even take the time to draw the faces. Will this be located directly underneath the pony rides so guests can deal with WDW dumping even more excrement on them? I forgot, it's probably an extra charge for that.

Sorry, my pixie dust dealer is on vacation...

Now, as for that crowd, I hope Mr. Smith enlightens me since I am clearly missing something ...

I was really hoping he'd be able to drop something more than an emoticon on us. Oh wait, I forgot about the ellipsis.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My day-to-day life experience better matches the phenomena described by WDW1971. I live east of the Mississipi. I would also mention that just because you live in a diverse area does not mean that meaningful interaction takes place among different cultures in the US.

There will always be stupid... but that doesn't mean you call everyone stupid.

The jist I agree with is American's don't travel abroad. This is largely true. Worse, the WDW faithful seem to travel even less except to WDW.

However, that doesn't mean people don't see or are immersed in diversity of culture east of the Mississippi. That's just plain ignorance of what urban and suburban life is like in the NE and any growing urban centers. It's a lame stab at trying to call people rhubs..

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I

Please remember when they start taking an active interest in you that is because you are someone of consequence. And with great consequence comes great stress and enmity, but also the chances at great riches and great power. Never forget.

A rather deep Spirit tonight I see. Words of wisdom and truth for those whom long for sagacity.

I comprehend your cultural post completely. My area (since you have no been here in more recent times) is littered with various cultures from Asia to Europe to all lengths of this great nation. As new families arrive here in the military for their stations it is not uncommon to see what you described. The shock of so many cultures on seven (let's make it ten to encompass the whole region) is a bit numbing to some to be wedged in a tiny area of The Olde Country.

ksr99

Disney World reminds me of what occurred with chrysler, gm, pontiac etc.....for years they just did sublevel quality with pathetic designs and hoped we would keep on buying. Instead we looked at imports and we had to bail them out. However, from that situation it opened their eyes to vastly improved business strategies and designs. I believe Walt DIsney World as a company is going to have to suffer something like this. The big boys on top have to realize sooner or later that in order to please the shareholders(I own a company that I will never take public!) they need to first please the guests. Its a HUGE investment, but it definately would pay off. After fantasyland is completed, do whatever it takes to impress the hell out of us with avatar land and also get the ball rolling with DHS....that park has so much crazy potential that they just need to let WDI do what they do best. Then I think Epcot should have its turn. Epcots future world should be expanded and again have a "redo". This is where WDI again, can display technology we once thought were in our dreams(my company deals with future tech stuff and its amazing whats out there that the public never sees). Rides and attractions that dont have to be full E-rides but just have it where this area can totally embrace the excitement of what the future holds. Thens room to expand! Just smart engineering needed. As far as the countries, add a few more, give them an actual budget to have interative street performers and such and that place really could be lively(I love the food and wine festival!) Sooner or later with ticket prices going up, they need to stop looking at the short term shareholders goals and start looking at true long term game plans. But then again just an opinion, I just want to always make sure I have a place to escape to....sooner or later it may not be Disney.

Kuhio

Of course you intend that this assertion serve as a moral trap, like the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

And "of course" you know exactly what I intended... because inferring purpose and meaning from a single sentence written by someone you don't know and have never communicated with is bound to yield an unerringly accurate characterization of that person's intent.

There's no good answer. Either one agrees with you, in which case WDW1974's racist assertion stands unchallenged, or one is automatically guilty of the crime you're accusing him of having committed.

To the contrary -- there are plenty of good answers. Responding to my comment isn't a matter of either agreeing with me, or being automatically found "guilty" of anything. This is a message board, not a tribunal or a deposition or some other forum where one might theoretically encounter the kind of cliched loaded question that, in a legal TV show at least (but not in any actual American court of law), epitomizes the quintessential "gotcha!" moment that snares the culprit and, deliciously, proves his complicity beyond any reasonable doubt. Because this is a discussion forum of another kind entirely, people are free and encouraged to do just that -- discuss and explain. There are no damning, entrapping responses (or a telling lack of response), just discourse.... which, incidentally, tends to be halted dead in its tracks when the suggestion is thrown out that any possible response to a comment would necessarily be a "bad" one or a "wrong" one.

Philosophically, it's nothing more than begging the question (the fallacy of suggesting a proposition that assumes its answer among its premises), but it's a clever piece of rhetorical judo--disingenuous, but clever.

I don't really know where this thread is headed anymore, but if we've wandered into taking people's vacationing proclivities and performing bizarre, contortionist, psychological analysis of them in order to prove that subjective preferences are objectively disordered based on an underlying subtext of latent antisocial bias, then perhaps we should take this discussion to graduate school.

I find it highly amusing that you would depict my comment as "disingenuous, but clever" when you then follow that up with a paragraph full of doctoral language that probably sounds extremely clever to most people reading it, but in fact is largely devoid of the meaning that you seem to be ascribing to it.

That said, I'd rather not take this discussion to graduate school (or anywhere else), both because I've been there, done that, and don't much feel like engaging in that kind of academic rhetoric again (and certainly not on a message board where there are more interesting things to discuss, like... you know... Disney parks), and also because I really don't want to take away from the actual meaningful discussion on this thread about Disney parks issues.

And on that note, we return to our regularly-scheduled programming...

Kuhio

Other way around. It was planned and designed for Shanghai, then the summer 2010 re-do of FLE added it to the WDW plans.

I actually think the Mine Train will be a fun little ride, but cloning it in both Shanghai and WDW does nothing but diminish both resorts.

tomman710

So whats happening on October 1st again?

I think October 1st is interesting because it's the beginning of Disney's new fiscal year ... so the question is when are budgets for the new year completed and how far after October 1st will we have to wait to hear about poential changes ... such as D-Tickets to DHS or other new additions?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think October 1st is interesting because it's the beginning of Disney's new fiscal year ... so the question is when are budgets for the new year completed and how far after October 1st will we have to wait to hear about poential changes ... such as D-Tickets to DHS or other new additions?

His tease is about EPCOT's birthday.. Oct 1 EPCOT will be EPCOT's 30th anniversary

And in corporate world.. budgets are planned well before the actual start of the FY. It's most of what people spend Q4 doing :)

tomman710

His tease is about EPCOT's birthday.. Oct 1 EPCOT will be EPCOT's 30th anniversary

And in corporate world.. budgets are planned well before the actual start of the FY. It's most of what people spend Q4 doing :)

Yes I know when EPCOT's birthday is ... and yes I know that about budgets as well.

My post was specifically about why I am looking forward to October 1st, especially since TDO has nothing really planned to celebrate EPCOT's birthday.

And yes budgeting is done prior to the start of the year but budgeting is fluid and as with Disney, specifically TDO, we know they are very fluid ...

But perhaps my main point was trying to goad one of the experts to give us the info on the D-Ticket (or perhaps more) for DHS and when we can expect an announcement ...

juan

I actually think the Mine Train will be a fun little ride, but cloning it in both Shanghai and WDW does nothing but diminish both resorts.

It should be quite fun. It was initially designed for Shanghai's FL and then once the WDW M&G fiasco happened, it was plopped into WDW FLE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom