Disney World Explorer banned for LIFE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipperButler

I think Disney needs to start "locking their doors" metaphorically speaking. Now whether that means having more security, camera's, locks, ect. It shouldn't be that easy for someone to wander back stage.

Operationally speaking, with the sheer amount of Cast Members and the number of times they go back and forth on stage and offstage on any given work day, in plain clothes and costumes, it would be quite hard to literally lock it down.

The man may have been naturally curious, but he still should not have been there. Funny enough, I find this actually rude to the Cast Members. Backstage is a place where they can get away from people like this and it's not something they want to deal with when they're not on the clock.

The whole analogy about the house and the theme park works for me. When you have a party at your house you trust your friends to actually have the decency to respect your property and not have them go through your dirty underwear and then post a video on youtube about it.

Bairstow

Haven't tried any of these yet, but the Chimay Blue sounds pretty good.

422734_10151426961039546_1526367030_n.jpg

coilback

Not all backstage entrances are marked. The utilidor entrances are just themed doors you walk right by throughout Magic Kingdom with no signage.

I like this guy. This ended on pretty good terms, honestly. He probably could have been arrested for his videos. The classic River Country and the Fort Wilderness railroad videos are just surreal. Right there on WDW property are these abandoned dilapidated places being reclaimed by the Earth. I'm glad he captured what he did. It's like post-apocalyptic Disney.

I'm curious where these "unmarked themed doors" are for the utilidor entrances are? I worked as an Entertainment Tech at Magic Kingdom and any place that I could gain access to a utilidor entrance required me to walk by at LEAST one "Cast Members Only" sign...

PhotoDave219

huh?
i was JUST there yesterday, my dad was joking about wanted a beer at "be our guest" and the waitress told him that alcohol is not permitted in the MK. :confused:

Alcohol is served at BOG at Dinner only and is restricted to in the resturant only. There are no "to-go" cups & alcohol is not allowed out of there.

MickeyPeace

I say good riddance. The manic "look at this" was driving me nuts. But it is interesting that Leonard Kinsey (Dark side of Disney) can take off his mask and become a publisher of a book which Rolly Crump agreed to do. Lou M can charge for tours inside MK. And on.

I guess Adam the Woo was the most annoying?

Jimmy Thick

This is no different than any number of pool hopping or refillable mug threads. The concept of right and wrong and personal responsibility is lost on many.

Wait a second... Are you saying I can't hop from hotel pool to hotel pool? Or reuse my 5 year old mug?

Disney is ripping me off!!!

On topic, glad the bum is banned for life, and hopefully, there will be other joining him. I have 5 in mind already.

Jimmy Thick- No soup for you!!!

TP2000

I had assumed this person was a kid, maybe college aged. I was wrong.

I just checked out his YouTube, and it was kind of gross. He's a unkempt grown man, looks to be in his 30's, who has tattooed himself out of useful employment and hangs out with a woman with pink hair and more tattoos than he has who props her white cowboy booted feet up on the seat in front of her in The American Adventure. (Not being cool or wild, just kind of trashy.) Also, he wears large sunglasses that my grandmother wore to play tennis in 1978.

In short, this man is an aging "hipster". And not a natural hipster living in a hip city, but a trying too hard hipster living in an un-hip city, which makes him pretty low on the hipster totem pole.

I'm not impressed enough to visit his website, but if someone here does could you please tell him my grandma wants her old sunglasses back?

Spike-in-Berlin

Well a lifetime long ban is a LITTLE too harsh in my opinion. It`s obvious that he deserves punishment, harsh punishment. A ban for ten, 15 years or even 20 years would be OK. But a lifetime ban from WDW is kinda like the equivalent to the death penalty in WDW terms, no way whatsoever to see it ever again so I think they should lift the band in 10 or 15 years again.
I have to confess though that his videos were quite enjoyable but it is also very obvious that he doesn't care about rules or laws whatsoever so he deserves a penalty.

bsiev1977

Please tell me you aren't serious...

While the guy might not be a raving lunatic, I agree with the person who says he has some mental health issues.

I don't know what the terminology would be, but I think a person who can't control himself from being places he shouldn't be has a problem. Also, I think someone who can't control himself from posting his stupidity on the Internet has a problem.

Seems like the guy has a desperate need for the approval of strangers, which I see as being a problem as well.

sweetpee_1993

While I think maybe contact of some sort by Disney to ask him not to do what he was doing would've been a good thing, it's hard for me to get past the obvious stupidity (?) / arrogance (?) / desperation for validation (?) in allowing your FACE to be seen in any of the videos to begin with. Not to point out the obvious, but if you don't want to suffer reprocutions for what you do then maybe you should think about that before the reprocutions are upon you. It never fails to amaze me when people get their drawers in a wad about a picture of them circulating that they don't like or something they wrote goes public that's embarrassing, etc. Here's the obvious: if you don't want it to be seen by the world, don't put it in pics or type. Period. Never assume that the worst can't happen because it can. If you're going to engage in these little adventurous forrays and you can't resist documenting the moment, do NOT attach yourself or your likeness to the evidence. Duh. Because, as crass as it may sound when you apply this concept to different contexts, one should always remember that if there's no proof then it never happened. It's not rocket science.

BTW, I looooved the video he did at Six Flags New Orleans. We went there the month before Katrina hit. Very surreal to see! And cool. I will say, tho, it was pretty janky pre-storm when it was still a functioning park. I'd venture to say SFNO would have ended up in a very similar state even if the storm never happened. ;) I find amusement in how the hubby & I sat together watching while Adam & friend were hopping about in the foreground picking out the water lines on various structures behind them.

taz0162

Which law states that it's illegal to go backstage at Walt Disney World?? If Disney doesn't want people going back there they should have more cameras and security in the parks.
That's like saying...if the zoo didn't want me jumping into the lion pit they would have put up a sign and a barbed wire fence and net to stop me. Seriously people do not have free roam to go everywhere that they want while on private property. Try getting behind the desk at a bank and explain to the teller that you just wanted to look around. I have a feeling that you will be met with harsh penalties there as well.

twebber55

http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/186387821.html

I think Disney went too far with the punishment. He was just showing fans what became of Wonders of Life and the Upstairs of Imagination. Why does Disney keep these areas blocked off anyway.
i tell this to my students and players... "you get to make decisions you dont decide the consequences of those decisions"

maybe it is the little over the top but thats his fault

pixargal

While I think maybe contact of some sort by Disney to ask him not to do what he was doing would've been a good thing, it's hard for me to get past the obvious stupidity (?) / arrogance (?) / desperation for validation (?) in allowing your FACE to be seen in any of the videos to begin with. Not to point out the obvious, but if you don't want to suffer reprocutions for what you do then maybe you should think about that before the reprocutions are upon you. It never fails to amaze me when people get their drawers in a wad about a picture of them circulating that they don't like or something they wrote goes public that's embarrassing, etc. Here's the obvious: if you don't want it to be seen by the world, don't put it in pics or type. Period. Never assume that the worst can't happen because it can. If you're going to engage in these little adventurous forrays and you can't resist documenting the moment, do NOT attach yourself or your likeness to the evidence. Duh. Because, as crass as it may sound when you apply this concept to different contexts, one should always remember that if there's no proof then it never happened. It's not rocket science.

BTW, I looooved the video he did at Six Flags New Orleans. We went there the month before Katrina hit. Very surreal to see! And cool. I will say, tho, it was pretty janky pre-storm when it was still a functioning park. I'd venture to say SFNO would have ended up in a very similar state even if the storm never happened. ;) I find amusement in how the hubby & I sat together watching while Adam & friend were hopping about in the foreground picking out the water lines on various structures behind them.
Hey, Sweetpee, if you like his video of Six Flags, then check out this video. I saw it a couple of years ago, and wow, really well done. Creepy, but great. The music really makes the video.

s8film40

In reality this isn't a "lifetime" ban. As a few years go by trespass warnings become far more difficult to enforce. If he waits several years and then starts visiting the parks in a normal manner he likely won't even be noticed and if caught they likely wouldn't have enough evidence or witnesses on hand to follow through with the trespassing charges.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hate to say this but what did the guy expect? He was knowingly trespassing, recording it on video and posted it to YouTube. You can do that, to a point, if you stay out of the videos, but this guy was all but daring the theme parks to act.

ExtinctJenn

I've been avoiding posting in this thread and another where Adam (and his ban) were discussed as well but just my two cents: I believe Adam is showing class in how he handled this. I also believe the punishment was a bit harsh. There are two other explorers in particular I can think of who have gone way further than Adam ever did (he's friends with them each and one is a member here). The difference is each of them were masked on their explorations (except in one case fairly recently) so it's not as easy to nab them. One of them is Leonard Kinsey (as someone mentioned above) and, though he unmasked in a backstage Epcot video that included Adam and others, he's now a respected member of the community. It seems a bit of a double standard if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom