Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Foolish1

I would have preferred to see Disney buy the DC franchise. IMO those characters are stronger then Marvel characters.

I could see it happening in the GMR. A rework of that ride has long been rumored.

I totally agree with you. Only problem is that DC Comics is owned by Time-Warner. So chances of TW selling DC to Disney are extremely minute.

I just hope they manage to fix the Superman film series soon!

Club34

i usually dont get into the business side bickering, but as far as the mouse running scared all i can say is this is exactly the type of move you make. disney may or may not be a dying giant but they can still punch people in the mouth with moves like this or acquiring pixar. those two alone will keep park fanatics in the clear for just a bit i would think as they pour money into mickey's mouth.

for those who dont keep score with movies and stuff the marvel licenses are absolutely killing it right now with several key movies in development right now. six flags, or universal, Wb whoever can have DC. except for batman, theyre done.

Foolish1

Now we know where the money to upgrade the parks are going, to pay for this deal.

Keep the Marvel in DHS, good move to counter HP. Pixar, MVL, Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Great movie rides become themes from Marvel characters.

Why did I sell my MVL stock so soon :mad:

That's not really true. Remember, Disney is putting up their stock for a significant portion of the deal. Yes, some cash is involved, but it's not like they are giving $4Billion.

dreamfinder

I may be in the minority here, but I would like to start seeing Disney comic books again. Not the Gladstone rehashing of old Donald Ducks, but new stories. Might be a good reason for them to start.

Disneyfan1981

A comic based on 'The Incredibles'. Theres your 'more family friendly' superhero comic right there.

Its already happening.

MARK WAID Brings THE INCREDIBLES Back ... Every Month
By Chris Arrant
posted: 26 August 2009 11:24 am ET

Take the concept of superheroes and mix it with traditional family values, and you have The Incredibles. This 2004 computer-animated film by Pixar became one of the biggest films of the year, and took the concept of a superhero family and played it for drama and laughs. Although it didn't originate in the pages of a comic book, its inspirations could be seen with modern interpretations of many classic superhero archetypes. And it was no surprise when in 2008 BOOM! Studios announced it was working on a miniseries spinning out of the movie entitled The Incredibles Family Values. It was the first of several comics done in partnership between Disney/Pixar and the thriving California-based publisher.

Proving that you can't keep a good comic down, BOOM! has taken the success of the Incredibles: Family Matters miniseries and introduced an ongoing series for The Incredibles. Original miniseries creators Mark Waid and artist Marco Takara are returning, and are being joined by co-writer with some kid comic cred to make it all come into place. On the eve of the release of the special zero issue of this new ongoing series, Newsarama talked with series writer – and BOOM! Editor-In-Chief – Mark Waid to know more.

The thing is that its occurring somewhere other than Marvel.

As for the comment about Marvel Films going bankrupt what you have to remember is that Marvel movies unlike DC which are all Warner Bros, are under two divisions. Marvel Films is the licensing part where they sell their characters to other studios Sony has Spidey, Fox has X-Men, etc. Marvel Studios is their own in-house movie studio that is responsible for Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America and those are self produced by Marvel. They are two different entities. Marvel Studios is doing just fine....

DisneyWales

Please no.

I'm fine with them making Marvel create a new line of kid friendly books, but don't change the already established universe. If they do that, they'll pi$$ off more people than win over.

I think this is Key point here, while I'm super excited to see where this goes, they also have to realise that the characters already have a fan base, so if they want to do a Disney Spin on Marvel, it needs to be as a different franchise. Leave the Current comics line as they are.

As for people saying this is a bad move, its the best move they could make, they needed a strong boys-toy line. Pirates is all very well, but its a 1 trick pony. The Princess and Fairy's makes a fortune for Disney, and as of yet, they haven't found anything on that level for boys, Cars/Pirates etc have all been great, but not stellar.

You can expect Marvel to explode over Disney XD. And i bet you there will be toys all over WDW, in all parks, thats just the current Disney. Same way Hannah and High school mech knows no theming boundaries.

But i have faith in WDI, i don't think they would allow Disney's newest franchise to be rammed into a park unless it was suitable. But time will tell i guess.

However i honestly feel this is a million times bigger than just the Parks. Its about the media market, movies, games and TV. Disney XD just got a very strong line-up, just as Disney were finding it hard to squeeze anything more from Power Rangers/Super Sentai.

As for universal, its a major blow, but i'd say not for a few years, it will take Disney some time to establish this as a Disney brand (if they even go that far), plus as many have said the characters used in Super Hero island are already tied into contracts, so Universal has no reason to Panic and change rides over, yet. But i'm sure eventually they will! Just to position themselves into a better position.

But i have to say, well done to Dinsey and Bob Iger on this, its a fantastic move, well if handled properly that is.

Figment632

Marvel films wasn't.

Marvel was.

Gottcha. Any idea what uni will do with that part of IOA when the contracts run out?

Dr Doom and Hulk will be pretty easy to retheme but Spiderman won't. They could gut everything but the ride system and try a Transformers ride like they are building in Cali.

jtizzle1023

For some reason hearing this news made my day sooooo good! I think this is a huge punch to the gut for Universal after all the rides they have that incorporate Marvel Comics. Also I think Six Flags will get hurt as well because of some of there attractions. As a huge disney fan and future imagineer I know that this will be a huge sucsess for the Walt disney company. Maybe disney will allow Universal to keep there exsiting attractions that use the marvel comics but have to pay disney a certain amount of money per year to keep the attractions.

Way to go Bob! :sohappy:

FigmentJedi

I totally agree with you. Only problem is that DC Comics is owned by Time-Warner. So chances of TW selling DC to Disney are extremely minute.

I just hope they manage to fix the Superman film series soon!

Unfortunatly, WB/DC might loose Superman in a few years, or at least everything pertaining to his origins. Court case recently ruled in favor of the family of Superman's creator over the rights to said original Superman stories.

Disneyfan1981

The real ramifications for this will not be known for a while but one has to wonder why this wasn't announced and shown off at D23....maybe more to come?

As for Superman, DC/WB has until 2013 to strike up a deal with the creator's families or they lose it but they keep the "S" and a lot of the modern additions....its really messy. Which is why they are pushing their other characters hard right now to fill the gaps as a just in case. Which is cool for me who is a fan of the Green Lantern but watches him never get much love from DC or its licensing and branding....hopefully the film changes that.

Chezman1399

"I wanna make a meat suit....And fight in it" - Deadpool

I would love for this to mean a 5th gate was eminent, but I'm not holding my breath. If it was to happen it would definitely give Disney a leg up when creating a more thrill like park, you could do half a park based around comic things like have Genosha, New York, The Savage Land, and San Fransisco. It's universe of characters is as large if not larger than Disney's, although not as many cherished characters. It could also stop Fox from being given the rights to any more X-Men based movies, which is also a good thing.

Like everyone else here I can't really see them fitting in to any of the current Disney parks besides Hollywood Studios, and even then I don't know where you'd put them, the park would need to be expanded significantly. However, Disney could use the characters in their park and maintain licensing deals with Universal as well. If this meant the closing of Spider-Man and Hulk at Universal though I may have to get rid of my Annual pass there, as there would only be one ride there I would absolutely have to go on from time to time, the Mummy.

trr1

Gottcha. Any idea what uni will do with that part of IOA when the contracts run out?

Dr Doom and Hulk will be pretty easy to retheme but Spiderman won't. They could gut everything but the ride system and try a Transformers ride like they are building in Cali.

pay disney to keep using them

SirGoofy

I'd be willing to bet that in a few years, Marvel Superhero Island will become Transformers Island.

Disney wins.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom