Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Figment632

$30 a share AND .75 of a DIS share means it will go through. You're getting basically double your investment per share.

On another note, this means Kingdom Hearts 3 could be REALLY crazy.

Get a clue. Its not like its the same budget.

But it's not about the parks division. Other areas of the company needed the boost, and the revenue associated with Marvel goes far beyond its possible appeal in the parks.

Even if a Marvel character never walks a Disney park, the revenue from the
Marvel rights will bring in millions if not billions over the years.

Good point and I mention it a third time I want to see a Marvel third gate for DL and maybe a marvel redo of Disney Quest!

Kamikaze

So you are telling me that they couldn't have taken that 4 bill and spread it around the parks???

Also I don't want a 5th gate just thought I'd mention it but I could see this turning into a 3rd gate for DL.

No, the mergers and acquisitions budget isn't the same as the P&R budget.

SirGoofy

Bob Iger just said on the conference call:
“John Lassaster met with some of the key marvel creative executives fairly recently, and the group got very excited very fast.
I almost felt like, ok guys, you’ve gotta slow a little bit, we haven’t done this deal yet.
There’s definitely opportunity..not to brand or co-brand anything Pixar/Marvel…but John’s creative talents and enthusiasm…and Marvel’s creative talents and enthusiasm will look very expansively at all the very different opportunities and I think that there is some exciting product that will ultimately come from that.
You put a bunch of really creative very enthusiastic people in the same room who appreciate, in such extraordinary ways, the value of great characters, compelling stories and really interesting worlds and there is a lot that can happen…sorta of a sparks will fly…is the expression that comes to mind.”

I freaking love John Lasseter.

Honestly, Disney has just reignited my passion for them in one swift move.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Great just great TL, FW, and DHS are disasters not to mention recent budget cuts but they have 4 billion to buy Marvel this is BS!!!!

Don't know it is been mentioned if it hasn't I'll get it out of the way 5th Gate or 3rd gate for DL.
Including DVD sales The Incredible Hulk grossed $321 million, Iron Man grossed $752 million, The X-Men franchise more than $1.5 billion.
Marvel movies on the horizon...Iron Man 2, X-Men origins, Thor, The Avengers, Captain America, etc

yeah....dumb move.:rolleyes:

MousDad

I also hope that Disney does some things to make SuperHeroes more kid friendly.

Have you tried to buy a comic for an 8-10 year old, lately?

Actually, yes! My 6/8 year olds and I go to Borders about every 2 weeks to stock up on Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Sonic Universe, Sonic X, Tiny Titans, and several others. They're out there.

But granted, Marvel only has 1 series like that I think, Marvel Super Hero Squad.

ChrisM

Well

This will obviously never happen, but a Marvel themed fifth gate made to look like a scaled down version of the Marvel Universe's Manhattan (look, it's the Baxter Building, look it's the Avenger's Mansion, the Stark Tower, the Daily Bugle!) would be pretty freaking cool.

A nice rendition of Professor Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters would be incredible. "Danger Room", anyone?

dznygirl64

I was just reading some of the posts on the Marvel site,People who post there are mad they seem to hate Disney.They see Marvel as a powerhouse company that was really going places.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Having waded through the usual fan boy pish, I can only assume that theme parks can only have attractions that must by law have some sort of character tie in, otherwise the talk of Universals instant demise is the usual pap spouted on here by folk that have never set a foot in side the park.

An odd stance given the amount of posts on here from folk preaching for new attractions like Pirates and HM which had no tie ins at creation.

Disney must be getting worried about a resurgent Universal, the mouse running scared, but at as has been said we know now why the park spending has been slashed.

DocMcHulk

With DHS being one of the parks that needs a lot of work, this deal sure gives them A LOT to expand on.

Just a thought, I've never ridden Rock n Roller Coaster, but how hard would that be to "retheme" to something Marvel?

There is a nice chunk of land where the Beauty and the Beast show building is.

Can any of our "insiders" show us a map of areas where DHS can be expanded? I have a few ideas that might work, but not sure as to what they can do.

prberk

From a smart business standpoint it would not make sense to allow your direct theme park competition to continue to use your characters so I would be surprised if the contract with Universal gets renewed. Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk. That being said I don't understand Disney's real need for Marvel in the first place. Sometimes I think Disney is too big for it's own good.

Can't agree more. I would like to see more growth through innovation, not acquisition....

Paul

mickeysaver

:sohappy: Wow, what wonderful news to be greeted with this morning!

I see so much wonderful potential here. DHS needs a makeover continuation and I think that it just got a major shot in the arm of new great stuff to work with. Imagine the new land format at DHS; Disney, Pixar, Muppet, and Marvel. How on earth could you go wrong with that? OMG, I could so completely imagineer the park in minutes right now with that concept.

I welcome the addition of the Marvel characters. While I am not a big Marvel comic fan, I do respect the brand and it's characters. I think DHS is the perfect home for them, unless someone wants to open a 5th gate. :drevil:

Figment632

Including DVD sales The Incredible Hulk grossed $321 million, Iron Man grossed $752 million, The X-Men franchise more than $1.5 billion.
Marvel movies on the horizon...Iron Man 2, X-Men origins, Thor, The Avengers, Captain America, etc

yeah....dumb move.:rolleyes:

Why was Marvel films going bankrupt then?

Disneyfan1981

Not sure about the area restrictions but it'd be neat to go to the New York portion and have that turned into Marvel's New York where the rides could be housed and the characters could meet and greet.

dznygirl64

Everone needs to stop thinking about Marvel in the parks.Marvel was a great purchase for the Disney company.I could see them slowly add Marvel in the parks like a Marvel weekend at the studios or add something after a new movie.Its not all about the parks its about movies and tv and video thats where the moneys at.I would love to see the Disney Marvel on the signs at Universal:lol: even in small print

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom