Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Disneyfan1981

Disney would come up with a less-affiliated sounded brand for their Marvel rights. It seems that if they put out a Marvel book, it would have to be tamed down a bit to be "Disney."

Marvel has been building their "Super Hero Squad" for a while now and it was getting a major push in 2010 with cartoons airing on Cartoon Network and a major merchandising push which are just that, tamed down, watered down Superheros aimed at the toddler through elementary school ages.

marvelsuperherosquad.jpg

I have a feeling that is a lot of what you'll see in terms of marketing towards kids, with the standard heroes aimed at attracting the teen and adult market.

Would it be possible for Disney to move the Spider-Man ride to DHS?

If I remember correctly Universal owns the tech just themed it over with Spider-Man. So it could move eventually but not in the same capacity unless Disney buys the technology or does something similar.

First off "the deal is not yet sealed", the marvel share holders still have to vote on it. But more than likely the deal will go thru.

There are conflicting reports. I saw some that said its pending and some that said its already been approved....

Could you imagine a marvel character movie made by PIXAR!!!

There have been rumors that their Superhero direct to video films were going 3-D and I would imagine with The Incredibles sequel stalling because of a firm ideas of where to take them, I would imagine this would be a perfect marriage.

Anyone have an idea of how long the contract with Marvel was with Universal? Its going to be very expensive to retheme that area even if they replaced them with DC characters....

SirGoofy

Great just great TL, FW, and DHS are disasters not to mention recent budget cuts but they have 4 billion to buy Marvel this is BS!!!!

Don't know it is been mentioned if it hasn't I'll get it out of the way 5th Gate or 3rd gate for DL.

:rolleyes:

DHS is the perfect place for a Superhero land. Hence, maybe that was part of the equation.

And people need to look at the big picture on this one.

IWant2GoNow

I am curious how this acquisition impacts the "master plan" for DHS. We've all heard rumors and rumblings from insiders that there is a bigger plan at play for DHS that we havent seen yet, but to me.. this changes the game potentially.

I'm curious too. With DHS being one of the parks that needs a lot of work, this deal sure gives them A LOT to expand on. I feel the same as some others on here that they should limit using the Marvel characters to DHS or another park all together. Not only to preserve the classic Disney characters and make sure it doesn't turn into Marvel Kingdom but to make sure they have a park to go where visitors can experience the Marvel world in a setting that fits the superhero scene more. DHS makes sense for the time being since it needs help in the attendance area and keeping the Marvel characters out of the other parks forces guests to actually GO to DHS. Why visit DHS if you can see Hulk at MK? So I say if they do anything, keep Marvel exclusively in DHS or in the years to come, make it its own theme park.

On another note, how will this affect Disney's outlook on villains? You can't have a Marvel park/ride without some really ruthless villains. Maybe we'll see a big push? Doubtful, but who knows. All in all, I love this deal.

Foolish1

Actually, this begs a question or two. First Disney gets the Muppets, and then Pixar, next DreamWorks/Spielberg, now Marvel Entertainment. Bob Zemeckis works with them too.

So what comes next? Clearly Iger has demonstrated willingness to purchase outside properties. So I would assume Disney is looking at other purchases into the future. But what?

Figment632

$30 a share AND .75 of a DIS share means it will go through. You're getting basically double your investment per share.

On another note, this means Kingdom Hearts 3 could be REALLY crazy.

Get a clue. Its not like its the same budget.

So you are telling me that they couldn't have taken that 4 bill and spread it around the parks???

Also I don't want a 5th gate just thought I'd mention it but I could see this turning into a 3rd gate for DL.

DisneyMusician2

Anyone have an idea of how long the contract with Marvel was with Universal? Its going to be very expensive to retheme that area even if they replaced them with DC characters....

Assuming DC broke with Six Flags in their agreements. I believe they are on the hook with rights and such to Six Flags for several more years.

But I could be wrong, if someone has more accurate information...

trr1

Actually, this begs a question or two. First Disney gets the Muppets, and then Pixar, next DreamWorks/Spielberg, now Marvel Entertainment. Bob Zemeckis works with them too.

So what comes next? Clearly Iger has demonstrated willingness to purchase outside properties. So I would assume Disney is looking at other purchases into the future. But what?

Warner Brothers?

SirGoofy

OMG, OMG, OMG.

I just thought of another awesome way the characters can be utilized.

FANTSASMIC! UPDATE!

GAH!

I'M TOTALLY GEEKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

DisneyMusician2

So you are telling me that they couldn't have taken that 4 bill and spread it around the parks???

Also I don't want a 5th gate just thought I'd mention it but I could see this turning into a 3rd gate for DL.

But it's not about the parks division. Other areas of the company needed the boost, and the revenue associated with Marvel goes far beyond its possible appeal in the parks.

Even if a Marvel character never walks a Disney park, the revenue from the Marvel rights will bring in millions if not billions over the years.

I-4Warrior

The natural fit for rides and characters would be DHS. I too don't really want to see them in MK or Epcot. I would love to see more thrill rides (not a lot, but a couple) at DHS. People already associate the Marvel characters with thrll rides thanks to Universal, so it would be a natural transition. I'm not a huge thrill ride person, but Disney really does need a couple more.

I don't know how much merchandise Universal is willing to sell with Marvel characters knowing that a healthy cut will pad the pockets of their competition.

I can however see Universal madly working the phones right now to cut a deal to overlay Superhero Island with DC characters (Let's face it a Superman overlay on Spiderman won't be too hard to for starters).

Atomicmickey

I also hope that Disney does some things to make SuperHeroes more kid friendly.

Have you tried to buy a comic for an 8-10 year old, lately?

Yeesh, they're all so dark and dense--comics have forgotten where to seed their core audience, when they are young. (Note that I'm not saying get rid of the current books, just add to the line on the young side)

Too many adult comic books=faltering industry. Looking forward to seeing what Disney does with this!

5th park! Yes! With the Baxter Building in the middle!

Club34

i havent had a chance to read everyone's posts as there is like 5 going on with many many replies.

now with marvel, they cut universal at the knees (well HP is still coming) and they can reap the possibilities in profits and possibilities for future theming...the park possibilities, movies (probably their main motivation), products (close 2nd), etc

i always envisioned a fifth park as a more natural theme park with a lot of thrill rides in the vain of six flags but with the imagineering touch (which would make it the best obviously). when i play rollercoaster tycoon i would always call my park "Disney World X" (for extreme) much like the xgames (disney owns espn right?). they could combine some disney classics, sports/xgame themes, and now marvel in a young, hip, over the top, crazy park. it may not be the most family friendliest or be what the purists would want (and i am a purist) but you gotta keep up with the joneses. i know people who never will go to disney becuase they say its for babies. in order for the mouse to keep a strangle hold on the theme park throat hes gotta build for all right?

i hope i get to see this come to be in my life time or while my stomach can still take it :lookaroun

larryl9797

I guess that could happen *any* time you dont own the characters outright. side note- that could be one of the reasons why the Disney channel dropped the Wiggles and Sprout picked them up. ( PBS has no brick and mortar holdings (besides Sesame Place, probably licensed anyway) ) that are heavliy invested in... it does not matter who comes and goes.:shrug::wave:

Mad Stitch

Meanwhile, in DC land, Batman and Superman and drinking themselves into a drunken stupor because no one wants to buy THEIR rights...

I would have preferred to see Disney buy the DC franchise. IMO those characters are stronger then Marvel characters.

Would it be possible for Disney to move the Spider-Man ride to DHS?

I could see it happening in the GMR. A rework of that ride has long been rumored.

Computer Magic

Now we know where the money to upgrade the parks are going, to pay for this deal.

Keep the Marvel in DHS, good move to counter HP. Pixar, MVL, Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Great movie rides become themes from Marvel characters.

Why did I sell my MVL stock so soon :mad:

SirGoofy

I also hope that Disney does some things to make SuperHeroes more kid friendly.

Have you tried to buy a comic for an 8-10 year old, lately?

Yeesh, they're all so dark and dense--comics have forgotten where to seed their core audience, when they are young. (Note that I'm not saying get rid of the current books, just add to the line on the young side)

Too many adult comic books=faltering industry. Looking forward to seeing what Disney does with this!

5th park! Yes! With the Baxter Building in the middle!

Please no.

I'm fine with them making Marvel create a new line of kid friendly books, but don't change the already established universe. If they do that, they'll pi$$ off more people than win over.

KingdomHeart

I don't have a whole lot to add except that I collect over 40 Marvel titles a month. And what I don't spend on Marvel Comics, I spend on Disney. I'm elated.

DisneyGurl2000

Bob Iger just said on the conference call:
“John Lassaster met with some of the key marvel creative executives fairly recently, and the group got very excited very fast.
I almost felt like, ok guys, you’ve gotta slow a little bit, we haven’t done this deal yet.
There’s definitely opportunity..not to brand or co-brand anything Pixar/Marvel…but John’s creative talents and enthusiasm…and Marvel’s creative talents and enthusiasm will look very expansively at all the very different opportunities and I think that there is some exciting product that will ultimately come from that.
You put a bunch of really creative very enthusiastic people in the same room who appreciate, in such extraordinary ways, the value of great characters, compelling stories and really interesting worlds and there is a lot that can happen…sorta of a sparks will fly…is the expression that comes to mind.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom