Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
For some reason hearing this news made my day sooooo good! I think this is a huge punch to the gut for Universal after all the rides they have that incorporate Marvel Comics. Also I think Six Flags will get hurt as well because of some of there attractions. As a huge disney fan and future imagineer I know that this will be a huge sucsess for the Walt disney company. Maybe disney will allow Universal to keep there exsiting attractions that use the marvel comics but have to pay disney a certain amount of money per year to keep the attractions.

Way to go Bob! :sohappy:

As a future imagineer shouldnt you be hoping for more options of employment than just Disney? Seems to me that theres a lack of imagination there...........

And Im sure Universal will, if the licences are removed, be able to retheme the 4 attractions affected.

fosse76

From a smart business standpoint it would not make sense to allow your direct theme park competition to continue to use your characters so I would be surprised if the contract with Universal gets renewed. Though I think they might want to re-theme the Hulk. That being said I don't understand Disney's real need for Marvel in the first place. Sometimes I think Disney is too big for it's own good.

It doesn't matter what Disney wants. It depends on what kind of agreements Universal had with Marvel in regards to theme park licensing. The question is does Universal OWN the RIGHTS to the Marvel characters currently in its parks, or did it merely LICENSE them for a length of time. If the former, Disney will not be able to do a thing, including use those characters in their own parks. If the latter, Disney is legally required to abide by the terms of the agreement between Marvel and Universal...and those theme park agreements usually last decades depending on the intended use of the licenses. For all we know Universal may have an automatic right of renewal. Without knowing the terms of those agreements, everything is speculative. But I wouldn't expect to see Spiderman running around DHS anytime soon.

Timmay

I am not sure how anyone can think this is anything but a great move by Disney!! As a share holder in Marvel (not a lot...around a hundred I think) I am pretty excited. This will be good for Disney in the long run.

I would be willing to bet we don't see anything Marvel related in parks for some time, not with so much at IOA right now. When all of that slowly comes to an end, we may see a bit here and there. All Disney has to do before then is rake in the extra cash. I am pretty sure they will find a way to fit Marvel in...and it may never be in the parks. I think they see the upcoming Marvel Studios movies (Captain America, Thor, Avengers) as a huge leap in the right direction.

Kamikaze

Everone needs to stop thinking about Marvel in the parks.Marvel was a great purchase for the Disney company.I could see them slowly add Marvel in the parks like a Marvel weekend at the studios or add something after a new movie.Its not all about the parks its about movies and tv and video thats where the moneys at.I would love to see the Disney Marvel on the signs at Universal:lol: even in small print

This is a WDW site. Of course the main focus will be on the parks. Sorry.

MrsJackSparrow

This is a splendid move for Disney.

Buzz Lightyear and Pirates will only carry them so far with the boy crowd.

High School Musical and Hannah Montana need to be sent out to pasture. Their target demographic has dropped to the PK through 3rd grade set.

Sounds Dangerous and American Idol can now be on their way.

Envision with me the re-theming of Pop Century's Legendary Years to a Marvel theme. Spectacular!

Foolish1

Everone needs to stop thinking about Marvel in the parks.Marvel was a great purchase for the Disney company.I could see them slowly add Marvel in the parks like a Marvel weekend at the studios or add something after a new movie.Its not all about the parks its about movies and tv and video thats where the moneys at.I would love to see the Disney Marvel on the signs at Universal:lol: even in small print

I highly suspect that Disney will try to use the Marvel characters for their often researched Disney-Regional-Entertainment concept. I think that would make a lot of sense. It could be huge.

Quit you *****ing. They fit perfectly in DHS.

I can't wait to meet Spidey, Iron Man, and Captain America on the Streets of America.

I'm with ya! I also think a character dining experience with these characters would be HUGE for boys. My nephews would give their 2 legs to meet Spiderman and Wolverine.

~Amanda

WDWmazprty

Disney will do a good job with Marvel I think. Whetherits movies, the parks, whatever. I always thought Marvel should be with Disney anyway,and DC with Universal.

sknydave

For some reason hearing this news made my day sooooo good! I think this is a huge punch to the gut for Universal after all the rides they have that incorporate Marvel Comics. Also I think Six Flags will get hurt as well because of some of there attractions. As a huge disney fan and future imagineer I know that this will be a huge sucsess for the Walt disney company. Maybe disney will allow Universal to keep there exsiting attractions that use the marvel comics but have to pay disney a certain amount of money per year to keep the attractions.

Way to go Bob! :sohappy:

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever seen on this forum. And I've seen a lot...

MKeeler

I so want an ultimate Marvel comic book store at DTD right now!* (lower-case ultimate, not just Ultimate Comics, but the full line with graphic novels, toys, clothing, themed to the hilt.)

Foolish1

Other than Batman and Superman, DC is weak.

Didn't they just announce a Green Lantern film? And I know there is work (mostly writing) being put into Wonder Woman, The Flash & Captain Marvel lately. I highly suspect this deal with prompt DC to get going on some of these tentative plans.

DocMcHulk

Looking at the DHS map, there is a TON of space between Rock n Roller Coaster and Magic of Disney Animation where they could do a whole Marvel area... especially if they take out the Magic of Disney Animation building.

Imagine walking under the arch to the right of "the hat" and walking into Mavel-land. Pixar Land to the left, Mavel to the right.

SirGoofy

Didn't they just announce a Green Lantern film? And I know there is work (mostly writing) being put into Wonder Woman, The Flash & Captain Marvel lately. I highly suspect this deal with prompt DC to get going on some of these tentative plans.

Yea, but I just mean other than Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, and MAYBE Flash, they don't have characters/brands that are very popular with the general populace.

Compare that to Spider-man, X-Men, Iron Man, Captain America, the Avengers, Hulk, etc Marvel really beats the pants off them in that department.

Looking at the DHS map, there is a TON of space between Rock n Roller Coaster and Magic of Disney Animation where they could do a whole Marvel area... especially if they take out the Magic of Disney Animation building.

Imagine walking under the arch to the right of "the hat" and walking into Mavel-land. Pixar Land to the left, Mavel to the right.

Would be very cool and a nice draw for those of us that find the studios lacking at the moment.

Not to mention perhaps updating the back lot tour...........

~Amanda

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom