Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

DocMcHulk

If it was to happen it would definitely give Disney a leg up when creating a more thrill like park, you could do half a park based around comic things like have Genosha, New York, The Savage Land, and San Fransisco.... Like everyone else here I can't really see them fitting in to any of the current Disney parks besides Hollywood Studios, and even then I don't know where you'd put them, the park would need to be expanded significantly.

I think it would be very easy to make DHS a thrill park. They already have two coaster: Rock n Roaller Coaster, Tower of Terror and the potential of adding a third (Monster's Inc Coaster)... even if it is on ice for now. You have six "shows": Fantasmic, Indy, Muppets, LMA, American Idol, Beauty and the Beast.

Add in a Marvel land concept to the IOA version... and the possibilites are endless. I see Disney morphing DHS into the thrill park most hoped would be made into a 5th gate.

gettingsmaller

Bob Iger just said on the conference call:
“John Lassaster met with some of the key marvel creative executives fairly recently, and the group got very excited very fast.
I almost felt like, ok guys, you’ve gotta slow a little bit, we haven’t done this deal yet.
There’s definitely opportunity..not to brand or co-brand anything Pixar/Marvel…but John’s creative talents and enthusiasm…and Marvel’s creative talents and enthusiasm will look very expansively at all the very different opportunities and I think that there is some exciting product that will ultimately come from that.
You put a bunch of really creative very enthusiastic people in the same room who appreciate, in such extraordinary ways, the value of great characters, compelling stories and really interesting worlds and there is a lot that can happen…sorta of a sparks will fly…is the expression that comes to mind.”

Lasseter seems great. I hope that our trust in him is not misplaced (and that he has really good health and no hobbies like skydiving). I think a re-do/expansion of the Studios (which would take 10 years or more to complete, I'd imagine) to get rid of some tired things and introduce some Marvel characters would be neat.

That being said, if I ever see the Hulk or Wolverine walking around the Magic Kingdom, I might not be back... the darkness of these characters does not mesh with the MK... at least I can't imagine that at the moment...

As a Disney shareholder, I sure would have liked this deal at half price. Would have been nice if Disney would have done this back when MVL was in the 20's (not that long ago).

trr1

I so want an ultimate Marvel comic book store at DTD right now!* (lower-case ultimate, not just Ultimate Comics, but the full line with graphic novels, toys, clothing, themed to the hilt.)
they could put it in the old virgin store

Foolish1

pay disney to keep using them

I think it's safe to say, Universal heard about this deal before we did, but by only a day or two. So at this point, asking "what will Universal do?" is kind of premature. Universal probably has no idea either yet. I suspect later this week they will hold some informal talks with Disney, though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LOL I guess not.

Please redo SGE with Apocolypse story line with Cable and Bishop where guests have to help defeat Apocolypsr in his Lazarith chamber!
The bottom line is that Disney is buying and incredibly popular and profitable MOVIE franchise. They will make their 4 billion investment back quite quickly.

DisneyGigi

Wow.. wild news! I think, like others that characters at DHS would be fine but not at AK,EPCOT or especially MK. I have nothing against Spidey and co. but they just don't fit at MK.

Very interested to see what does happen at Universal in the near future, if the rides will stay the same or not.

EPCOTPluto

You know, just popping in my mind now, I recall going to my local Disney's Character Premiere 4 months ago, and they were selling Spider-Man web spray cans for 6 dollars a piece.

I asked what's with the un-Disney merch, and I was told it was just "excess".

I guess it was planned beforehand...... :eek:

Chezman1399

I didn't realize how much backstage area there was behind Rock'N'Roller Coaster, they could definitely work something in. I always tend to underestimate the size of Hollywood Studios and overestimate the size of Islands of Adventure. IoA is a very small park and Marvel Island, so they could definitely fit similar attractions not the same attractions in that area.

Grizzly Hall 71

yeah...I don't want them in the parks.
But we as big disney fans aren't the only ones who come the parks. When most teens and 20-30 crowd think of disney they think of little kiddie rides, now they can look foward to the action of fighting with spider or iron man, or soar on the wings of thor and so much more. But i don't think they would fit anywhere but MGM.... Unless they have a marvel park planned ;)

Foolish1

A number of people have voiced concerns about Marvel characters and possibly attractions in various Disney parks. Let me just say this... When was the last time a major attraction was added to Magic Kingdom? How many major attractions have been added to Animal Kingdom? Should I continue? Even if someday we see Marvel entities in the Disney parks (and that is not a given, since clearly this merger was more related to properties and films/video/publishing), it could be a very long time. Probably nothing major will change for a while.

imagineer boy

Wow, this news came out of nowhere. I honestly don't know if I like it or not. I mean, Marvel and Disney is just such a weird combination.

Oh well, if they do anything at the parks I do hope they just restrict it to DHS. The idea of seeing Spiderman walking down main street would be very odd.

So they would give their legs to meet some Marvel characters, but a visit to Universal is out of the question?

LOL

It's my money and I'll spend it where I want to - the added expense to go to universal such as the transportation over there, the additional price of tickets, and so on - have never seemed to me to be worth it. Considering that my nephews have either not been tall enough to ride the thrill rides, or to scared to do so. I would basically be spending all that money - to have them stand in a character line.

~Amanda

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom