Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

jonnyc

What monopoly??? No one forced Universal into an agreement with Marvel for their characters.... So, I guess Disney wouldn't build coasters cause Universal and SeaWorld have??? Or Aquatica, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon need to close because Wet N Wild was there years before them????

Disney bought another media company... Big deal!!!! I don't see why this is viewed as greed, monopoly, or anything else that is going to be tossed as negative toward Disney...

The potential monopoly I referred too was an expansion of another posters concerns that were criticised, which I attempted to clarify. I cannot pinpoint it now as this thread is gaining more pages by the second!

tomman710

Everyone needs to step back a bit from the fan's percpective and into the real world. In all likely-hood, Universal will not be hurt at all by this. They may have to re-theme or something but does anyone really think their attendance is going to take a hit from this?

Universal will not be hurt by this attendance wise but financially speaking and probably a bit on the pride side they should be affected because now they have to pay Disney and market a competitor's property with the possibility in the future of them having to spend millions to re-theme an entire land or pay out even more to their competitor to retain the rights.

Universal's attendance won't take a drop now, but their executives are probably not too happy, especially since they were probably riding high on the good buzz generated by WWoHP. I know if I was a Uni Exec I would be pretty ticked off ... whoops.

I_heart_Tigger

I think what surprised me most when i saw this on the news is that Disney acquired over 5000 characters...there's over 5000 Marvel characters!!! :eek:

_Scar

True, but I bet Aerosmith and The Twilight Zone weren't either.

Nope, but Aerosmith didn't have one of the world's most popular rides 30 minutes away.... people who frequently visit Orlando have gotten used to Spidey living at IoA lol.

BTW, doesn't Universal Studios Japan have the Spiderman ride and wouldn't that mean nothing in Japan either?

imagineer boy

Marvel just isn't Disney to a lot of people.... :shrug:

I agree... they're just two completely different things.

I dunno, I kinda hope Disney just concentrates on distributing rights with the movies and doesn't do too much with them in the parks. It would just be too weird.

SirGoofy

I dunno, I kinda hope Disney just concentrates on distributing rights with the movies and doesn't do too much with them in the parks. It would just be too weird.

You people are crazy.:lol:

These characters would be a perfect fint in DHS(won't happen), DSP, DCA, or a DLR third gate.

jonnyc

You people are crazy.:lol:

These characters would be a perfect fint in DHS(won't happen), DSP, DCA, or a DLR third gate.

I don't frequent DSP, DCA or DLR, so I guess jealously creeps in, if WDW doesn't get it, I don't want them to have it :lookaroun :lol:.

The Conundrum

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of these.

really? They show up in some of the DC cartoons from time to time and they all have had or currently have a comic series running.

You will definetly be hearing about Jonah Hex as he is actually getting his own big budget movie that is coming out next summer starring Josh Brolin and Megan Fox.

jonah-hex-poster.jpg

The Green Lantern film will also be HUGE.

Its a shame because Disney would be much better with the charecters than WB who has really ruined all of DC's charecters turning batman, lex luthor,and aquaman into a joke. Luckily Batman recovered.

Wilt Dasney

If anything happens in the parks, I'm betting it will be ONE attraction. All the other examples (Star Wars, Indy, TZ, even Muppets, which they've owned for how long now?) are allowed in the gate, but are kept in their very small spheres. A ride, some M&Gs, a spot in the parade or the fireworks (at DL). Doing it that way, it all seems to work.

Just because Disney will own the characters doesn't mean they're too dumb to realize how much they would clash with the parks' atmosphere if they were plastered everywhere.

AREM

Please excuse me if this has already been posted, but here is an email that Bob Iger sent out to Cast Members today. My CM friend forwarded it to me.

Dear Fellow Cast Members:

I’m pleased to tell you we’ve agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment and its treasure trove of over 5000 characters in a transaction we hope to complete by the end of the year.

I’m incredibly excited by the acquisition. Not only will we combine the great characters and storylines of Marvel with those of Disney, but we will also bring together two groups of dedicated and very talented people.

Disney’s success has been built on the great storytelling skills, the technical artistry and the creative vision of its Cast Members and employees. At Marvel, Ike Perlmutter and his team have created real value by combining similar creative skills with a strong strategy and a disciplined and smart way of doing business. They’ve done a great job in extending and increasing the popularity of such Marvel characters as Iron Man, X-Men and Spider Man.

Like our own characters and stories, Marvel’s break through gender, age, cultural and geographical boundaries and have broad appeal on a variety of media platforms. These attributes make the Marvel brand, characters and stories particularly valuable in a world of increasing consumer choice.

Marvel’s business meshes perfectly with ours and what we’ve all been doing to maximize the value of Disney’s creative properties across our businesses, media platforms and geographical markets.

Our acquisition of Pixar three years ago exemplified our focus on creating high-quality, technologically innovative entertainment that appeals to audiences all over the world. The acquisition of Marvel offers us a similar opportunity to advance that strategy, to build a business that’s stronger than the sum of its parts and to drive Disney’s long-term growth.

We look forward to welcoming the Marvel team to the Disney family and to the exciting potential this combination offers.

For more details on the transaction, please read the press release which can be found by clicking here.

Best wishes,

Bob

Disneyfan1981

I wonder how long until Marvel Super Hero weekends with actors from the Marvel movies and the Fab Five dressed up like various characters? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom