Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Computer Magic

Well, in the conference call this morning, I do recall the number 59 Million shares of Disney stock being mentioned.
And at $27 a share, that comes out to about $1.593 Billion.
So that makes 2.4 billion in cash. However, the Disney stock is a variable cost. The amout will depend on the vlaue of Disney stock at the time of the sale. Right not Disney stock is taking a dive. You are better off taking the fixed cost of MVL shares x $30

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I am not very happy about this news, I can't imagine seeing the Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom. They just aren't magical to me. I suppose I could see them in the studios just no where else.

Timmay

Yikes...

5249_1209767118412_1055733957_645261_8343310_n.jpg
That is...uhh...unique, shall we say.
Yet, oddly enough, nobody seems one bit disturbed by Mickey or any other Disney character in a Darth Vader mask...:rolleyes:

Wait for WDW1974 to begin. :p
God bless the ignore option if that starts up

A paragraph from today's Sentinel:

"Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation."

Doesn't appear to me Universal will have to do any retheming any time soon.
Which would indicate what many of us have already said...this is more about the Marvel Studios, the comics themselves and good old cash.

Another possibility is that Universal has already paid all of the licensing fees up front to Marvel. In which case, Disney gets nothing.
I would be very shocked if that were the case.

The question really is how long Universal will want to pay money to its competitor down the street.
As long as they were making a significant enough profit, I am sure they would be willing to pay Disney for a long time.

SirGoofy

Actually from what that states they'd have to retheme everything except those 2 rides because the entire land they are in is Marvel based when the other agreements are up. Merchandise Stands, The teacups...err Storm Force, Dr. Doom's Fear Fall, new name for the land, restaurants, there's a lot more than just those 2 rides there.

I really don't think they would keep two rides when the entire area around them would need to be rethemed.

I would seriously expect Transformers to take over that area.

Computer Magic

it would be interesting if the license fee is based on attendance like steven spielberg's deal. The higher Universal attendance the more money Universal pays Disney :drevil:

WDWFREAK53

I am not very happy about this news, I can't imagine seeing the Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom. They just aren't magical to me. I suppose I could see them in the studios just no where else.

Nobody said they'd be in the Magic Kingdom...or Epcot...or anywhere. Just a lot of "what-if's" at this point.

I can't really see them heading into the Magic Kingdom...

I COULD see them working their way into Epcot though (I'm against this for the record).

Soarin' could fly along with a superhero...
Universe of Energy...there are so many uses for them here...

DHS would be the most likely theme park for them. (Especially since most take place in a city...and you have the Streets of America).

Animal Kingdom...not so much.

Skip

This has been the funniiest thread on here for years.

Fan boy fantasy at its finset, I wonder if its registering on the richterscale?

No kidding. Every other post in this thread has me either rolling my eyes or groaning. DHS will, if anything, get a super hero meet & greet for the foreseeable future, as last time I checked, most of Florida's budget will be going into the Fantasyland expansion. I'm sure the 4 billion in spending isn't helping matters.

As for Universal advertising a rival's product? At this point, something tells me they won't really care that much. Spider-Man and The Hulk are too big of draws to even consider removing/retheming, regardless of if they're "promoting" another company in doing so. They've been doing it just fine with rival film studios Sony Pictures (Men in Black, previously Ghostbusters) and Dreamworks (Shrek & Madagascar).

SirGoofy

^We just need Spidey and Iron Man flying with the rest of them.

I COULD see them working their way into Epcot though (I'm against this for the record).

Honestly...I'll probably get flamed here. But I could see Stark Industries becoming the host company for Innoventions, or at least an exhibit.

I think that would be the boss.:D

jt04

No kidding. Every other post in this thread has me either rolling my eyes or groaning. DHS will, if anything, get a super hero meet & greet for the foreseeable future, as last time I checked, most of Florida's budget will be going into the Fantasyland expansion. I'm sure the 4 billion in spending isn't helping matters.

As for Universal advertising a rival's product? At this point, something tells me they won't really care that much. Spider-Man and The Hulk are too big of draws to even consider removing/retheming, regardless of if they're "promoting" another company in doing so. They've been doing it just fine with rival film studios Sony Pictures (Men in Black, previously Ghostbusters) and Dreamworks (Shrek & Madagascar).

Spidey, Hulk etc, will get rethemed. Period.

Animaniac93-98

My goodness SirGoofy, is Spider-Man really a JC skipper now!? Let's just hope his spiel doesn't include jokes about how is crotch is affected by his tights.

Skip

If Universal thought Harry Potter would take down Disney...Then they lose their biggest IOA draw to Disney!

This round goes to Disney! :sohappy:

Except... they aren't. At all. Hulk and Spider-Man will remain and continue to be huge advertising draws.

Spidey, Hulk etc, will get rethemed. Period.

Oh, so those "perpetual contracts" mean nothing to you? Disney can't do a thing, and Universal isn't about to lose their coaster cash cow and their most critically acclaimed attraction. Nice try jt, but as soon as you get Universal involved in your over-enthusiasm, it really goes over the line.

Chezman1399

I really don't think they would keep two rides when the entire area around them would need to be rethemed.

I would seriously expect Transformers to take over that area.

I agree that's why I don't see those agreements holding up very long if the license for everything else expires regardless of how they are written up. I'll miss those two rides as I find most of Universal boring to begin with, I do give it a chance every so often though because I'm an annual pass holder there.

They better not drop the ball on Potter World at this point though because I need some reason to want to go there, I pay $15 a month for the pass, won't get rid of it though because to get my same pass would now cost me $22 a month.

Skip

Guys - The Orlando Sentinel and BASIC LOGIC has revealed that nothing is being rethemed for the forseeable future. Someone just established that the Transformers ride won't even work in Spider-Man's current space. It's not becoming Transformers land, it's staying Marvel Super Hero Island, just as it should be.

God, the fanboys are rabid today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom