Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

Animaniac93-98

Guys - The Orlando Sentinel and BASIC LOGIC has revealed that nothing is being rethemed for the forseeable future. Someone just established that the Transformers ride won't even work in Spider-Man's current space. It's not becoming Transformers land, it's staying Marvel Super Hero Island, just as it should be.

God, the fanboys are rabid today.

Logic? Internet? Fanboys?

Does not compute.

(never mind the deal hasn't happened yet)

Chezman1399

Oh, so those "perpetual contracts" mean nothing to you? Disney can't do a thing, and Universal isn't about to lose their coaster cash cow and their most critically acclaimed attraction. Nice try jt, but as soon as you get Universal involved in your over-enthusiasm, it really goes over the line.

Those perpetual contracts mean something, but will they really leave 2 rides when the contract for everything else expires and they need to change everything around them including the name of the land?

SirGoofy

Oh, so those "perpetual contracts" mean nothing to you? Disney can't do a thing, and Universal isn't about to lose their coaster cash cow and their most critically acclaimed attraction. Nice try jt, but as soon as you get Universal involved in your over-enthusiasm, it really goes over the line.

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't see Uni wanting to keep Spidey and Hulk after the rest of the Island changes around them. I doubt the current contract for the other characters runs up for a good 7-10 years, after which Potter will be open for a while, and not having a large area to expand and needing a new draw, I see Uni expanding/retheming Spidey and retheming the Hulk.

Just my opinion.

jt04

Except... they aren't. At all. Hulk and Spider-Man will remain and continue to be huge advertising draws.

Universal is NOT going to promote a Disney property. And once the Universal folks get over their hangovers they will start conceptualizing. Or making plans to sell the place.

You know as this sinks into my mind so much more is starting to make sense about what has been posted to this forum by the doomers. :cool:

If you are a fan of WDW this is a day to celebrate. :sohappy:

Skip

Those perpetual contracts mean something, but will they really leave 2 rides when the contract for everything else expires and they need to change everything around them including the name of the land?

You're taking what the Sentinel said far too literally. They merely referenced the two largest attractions in the area, Spider-Man and Hulk, with those perpetual contracts. Universal isn't stupid enough to merely create perpetual contracts for those two particular areas... the entire area must thus have perpetual contracts.

Agreed with Animaniac and Pumbas, this is getting ridiculous.

captainkidd

This is a very different move coming from Disney. I don't see Marvel fitting into the Disney parks, but I could be wrong. It's a perfect fit for Universal.

Mr Bill

I find it funny that some people are acting like Disney wouldn't work with Universal if it benefitted them both financially or that this purchase was in some way to spite Universal.

Enjoy the fantasies because written contracts mean something in the real world.

Skip

Universal is NOT going to promote a Disney property. And once the Universal folks get over their hangovers they will start conceptualizing. Or making plans to sell the place.

You know as this sinks into my mind so much more is starting to make sense about what has been posted to this forum by the doomers. :cool:

Watch them do it. Spider-Man, Ironman, and X-Men shows have been running on Disney XD for quite a while now, and it hasn't done a thing. Universal will continue using those attractions and market the hell out of them, regardless of the fact that Disney now owns the company. Like I said before, they do it with Dreamworks (Shrek) and Sony Pictures (Men in Black). It doesn't really matter.

But hey, since you're obviously the all-knowing entity of the behind-the-scenes contractual rights and Universal executive logic... :rolleyes:

Animaniac93-98

All this talk of "fanboys" just makes me sick. Don't you know that the PC term is "fanpersons"? Sexist pigs.

:p

"Fanpersons"?! My god are you that insensitive to extraterrestrial/animal-human hybrids? People these days...

As for the fanboys, research shows that after long lapses of poorly informed refurb news and convention speculation a multi-billion dollar contract with a famous company is likely to send any fanboy's head spinning.

Skip

I find it funny that some people are acting like Disney wouldn't work with Universal if it benefitted them both financially or that this purchase was in some way to spite Universal.

Enjoy the fantasies because written contracts mean something in the real world.

Finally some logic around here.

(@ Pumbas on his latest post - :sohappy:)

Mr Bill

Why not? They're already promoting Sony, Dreamworks, Viacom, 20th Century Fox, and Warner Brothers properties.

Chezman1399

You're taking what the Sentinel said far too literally. They merely referenced the two largest attractions in the area, Spider-Man and Hulk, with those perpetual contracts. Universal isn't stupid enough to merely create perpetual contracts for those two particular areas... the entire area must thus have perpetual contracts.

Agreed with Animaniac and Pumbas, this is getting ridiculous.

Actually I'm just taking it as it was written, it doesn't saying properties including those 2, it says those 2 properties, and considering they also have a deal pertaining to those 2 rides which prohibits development of similar rides in the Eastern US, I would assume that's exactly what it means. Maybe it is different, but that's not what the article says and we have no other references to go by right now.

DisneyMusician2

Although things are getting a bit out of control, the basic reasoning is sound.

Why would Universal admit that they would have to restructure a section of their park right away?

The real question is whether Disney will insist that their name be put on any merchandise being sold, as I'm sure the agreement does not include 3rd party merchandising.

Will Universal be selling Disney branded merch and shirts in their park? And will they continue to promote a brand that really is not their own anymore, despite their perpetual licenses?

I find that hard to believe from a business perspective, regardless of the article.

Disneyfan1981

If Universal and Disney work together its beneficial for both. They don't have to retheme a whole land while Disney makes money for essentially doing nothing. Will Uni eventually retheme that area probably but for the forseeable future I would imagine nothing would change.

rooneymouse

Anyone have any real info about the Universal contracts with Marvel? Everyone is speculating on what Universal will do now that Disney owns their bid name characters, but no one can say if the contract is perpetual, 2 years or 10 years.

Skip

Why not? They're already promoting Sony, Dreamworks, Viacom, 20th Century Fox, and Warner Brothers properties.

Completely forgot about Fox (Simpsons), Warner Bros (Potter) and Viacom (Nickelodeon). Isn't that pretty much every rival studio OTHER than Disney? :dazzle:

@Chezman - think about it logically. There really is no reason they'd make a perpetual contract for just TWO attractions. I'm willing to bet that they the whole area firmly under a similar contract. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all became of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom