Disney to buy Marvel Entertainment

SirGoofy

DHS? 5th Gate? Possibilities are endless.

Even DTD! Now that would be new and bold!

Never doubt the sheriff. He knows what he is doing.

Spiderman, Spiderman.......:lol:

JT, for once, you and I are in perfect agreement.

And if anyone should be the sheriff, it should be Mr. Lasseter. The man is a powerhouse.

And this would be THE perfect 5th gate. Bring it on.

I can see them in parades.

I guess that is the ONLY place I'd be fine with them in MK.

Disney has bought Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Turtles and they had little presence in the parks.

Disney doesn't own the Turtles...but I wish they did!.

gettingsmaller

I'm sure they will too, but in light of recent events, I think the administration has a critical eye on the SEC. It does seem like it's been a number of years since the SEC really did anything with antitrust, though. I thought that was a goal of the Obama administration? So far nothing has happened with it, though (not as if that administration doesn't already have enough on its plate).

I'm just saying, it sure would be interesting if the administration used this opportunity to 'show its teeth towards antitrust.' I don't really think there's any chance it'll happen, but you never know.

Well, seriously, what are they going to say? "No, Disney, we will not allow you to have a monopoly on characters." I can't think of any angles for crying "monopoly" here...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
owned02.jpg

PirateFrank

I dont believe Disney would have purchased Marvel without feeling it could maintain creative control and use of the characters, including theme park use.....

....also, Iger himself said there are *short-term* agreements with Universal in place. That suggests that the licensing agreement has some kinks in it...

and finally, if John Lassetter met with the creative people at Marvel, doesn't that suggest theme park implications?

Skip

All nice opinion based on your best wishes for Disney, just cause you post a scenario dont make it so. Or are you concerned that Disneys creativity is now so weak that they are unable to compete with competition from a rival? But I notice fan boys have now moved into fictional hypothesising that sales of companies make pre existing agreements disappear. I must try that with some of my suppliers that I am due to pay.

Though I must say I bet Universal execs are bricking it to hear your mate wont visit if Spideman isn’t there.

Sometimes I feel like you're the only one with any real, logical sense around here. Your posts always give me a laugh.

Now, to repeat what I said in the other "Universal" thread:

Universal isn't some stupid small company that can be taken advantage of... I'm sure they thought of this possibility (not particularly Disney, but some other company buying out Marvel) when they were creating the "island" in the first place. Much like Six Flags has a 50 year exclusive agreement with the DC Universe, I'm guessing Universal has a comparably long exclusive agreement with Marvel. Meaning, while Disney may will essentially get some dough from Marvel merchandise sales, I highly doubt that any of the Marvel rides will be forced to close or be rethemd in any way.

Foolish1

I'm sure they will too, but in light of recent events, I think the administration has a critical eye on the SEC. It does seem like it's been a number of years since the SEC really did anything with antitrust, though. I thought that was a goal of the Obama administration? So far nothing has happened with it, though (not as if that administration doesn't already have enough on its plate).

I'm just saying, it sure would be interesting if the administration used this opportunity to 'show its teeth towards antitrust.' I don't really think there's any chance it'll happen, but you never know.
What about the SEC's restrictions on Micro$oft?

Foolish1

In all seriousness, with this purchase coming to light, I'm somewhat surprised Disney hasn't come to terms on a deal to purchase LucasFilm at this point. The two organizations have had a much closer relationship over the years.
In an interview a few years ago GL admitted he might consider either selling his company outright, or taking it public in the future.

WDWFREAK53

Eww...now that idea gives me the jitters. That was, without a doubt, the worst movie to come out of the Marvel franchise....

A movie based on a comic character does not define the character.

If Ironman was a horrible movie...would it mean that the character stinks?

Ghost Rider is a VERY cool character... his movie, on the otherhand, was HORRIBLE.

The original Hulk movie was horrendous...but the character is still awesome.

Plus, if it's to fit in with Frontierland...the motorcycle-riding Ghost Rider can't appear...

(Oh, and Elektra is up there...as far as horrible movies to come out of the Marvel Franchise).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont believe Disney would have purchased Marvel without feeling it could

MAKE MONEY !!!!

If it is getting income for no risk are you seriously suggesting that theyd walk away, in the hope that Universal is so creatively inept that they couldnt re design the facades to two small and two large attractions?

Have a word with yourself.

Foolish1

We don't know the ratio, I guess you need to see how many MVL stock and multiply by $30. The bottom line is Disney profits are going elsewhere beside WDW park. This is one example of where Disney profits are going.
Well, in the conference call this morning, I do recall the number 59 Million shares of Disney stock being mentioned.
And at $27 a share, that comes out to about $1.593 Billion.

MAF

This isn't really related to Marvel, but I've always wondered why no theme park has ever tried to strike up a deal w/ the Nintendo franchises. I've always thought it would be awesome to have a Mario/Zelda themed park somewhere.

gettingsmaller

JT, for once, you and I are in perfect agreement.

And if anyone should be the sheriff, it should be Mr. Lasseter. The man is a powerhouse.

And this would be THE perfect 5th gate. Bring it on.

I guess that is the ONLY place I'd be fine with them in MK.

Disney doesn't own the Turtles...but I wish they did!.

I guess if Lasseter wants it, it might happen, but why in the World would you see a 5th gate when the current 4 gates need so much work?

fillerup

A paragraph from today's Sentinel:

"Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation."

Doesn't appear to me Universal will have to do any retheming any time soon.

Foolish1

There's insider talks about a DC movie about a "team" of super heroes about forming their own "league". That's all I can say for now. :zipit:

I think it was a smart move on Disney for buying Marvel. It'll also be very profitable for Marvel in the film and licensing end.

Sucks for us (DC) because of huge competition (film & toys).

P.S. Yes I work for DC :)

I wish Disney would have allied with DC instead. :cry:

But that said, I guess we go on. And yes, Disney is the 2 ton gorilla on the block these days.

But hopefully it gets DC to get it's act together again. (Of course, it seems Batman his act together a bit earlier than the rest.)

Ralphlaw

When I was in London in 1996, the top four West End shows were Sunset Boulevard, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera and Cats. As you may know, 3 of the shows were written and produced by Andrew Lloyd Webber, which is amazing. The other one, Les Miserables, was not written or produced by Sir Andrew. So Andrew only had 3 of the top 4 shows.

However, Sir Andrew owned the Palace Theater, where Les Misrables was playing.

I believe Disney just bought the Palace. Assuming Universal is paying roylaties to Marvel for the rights to Spiderman and the gang, Disney will now make money off of the people who go to Universal. I'm almost expecting the Antitrust division of the Department of Justice to step in. $4,000,000,000.00!! Is it time to buy more Disney stock?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom