Disney Parks Castles Being Removed From Property Entrance Arches

krankenstein

Yes, I know that :wave: It just didn't look good on a fountain. I fooled around with the Florida Project front type and got this:

25rgfbl.png

I think for a fountain the skinnier the text, the better. With this font it just seems a bit too bulky.

That, is win! :sohappy:

Good job!

smalld

What about if it has the new Walt Disney World resort logo with the Walt Disney script font and the world mickey head thing on the Florida project sign.

WDWGoof07

I like the entrance arches. The castles weren't offensive, but they were a little unnecessary. I love that "finally there" feeling of passing through the gate. I think it sets up the experience better than just a standard road sign.

EPCOT Explorer

I think it was done for 1 or 2 reasons:

1. Disney losing the class action suit filed by all the people whos dreams did not come true (false advertising).

2. Too many of the same people that wanted the wand gone, also wanted the castles gone. (btw watch out Mickey hat in DHS)

PS The boat driver (7 seas lagoon) told me the last one. Bus driver told me the first one. :)
:ROFLOL:

Made some minor changes:

erc0hz.png

But that's drooling for one day. I really wish this would happen now. :lol:

Those are amazing! Kudos, my friend! :D

Great Pics those entrances look great they would really enhance the look of the resort. They would really look great at the cross roads entrance in particular because it is so close to a major intersection something a little more intimate there would be nice there. I don’t have a major problem with the current entrances off the highway entrances as there is not much around and the large scale works but they definitely need an update they look very early 90’s. They may also be too much about the characters when the resort is about so much more.

WDW1974

So, seeing that you readily admit that things have changed (for the better or for the worse is not the issue...here. :lol:),

Sure it's the issue. So many things have contributed to the Walmarting of Da World. Are these tacky entrances a big deal on their own? Hell no. But it all adds up over time to a much lesser product.

That's what Walmarting or Declining By Degrees or whatever way you choose to describe it is all about.

why do you dislike the gates, save for the 'Toons plastered all over them? I think, if they were done in a different style, like in DL, or better yet, HKDL, they'd be nice.

Because they DO have toons and because they are loud, garish and in your face.

And yes, I do like the ones at DL and, especially HKDL MUCH better.

You don't need to be hit over your head to be told you are at WDW: Where Dreams Come True and Magic Lives and Celebrate Anything.

If you don't know you're at WDW, then you're dead. Or you're a UK tourist who took a wrong turn onto World Drive while heading for the Sizzler or Red Lobster on 192!:)

We got these for our 25th. Maybe our 40th will bring something. :shrug:

You mean in addition to recycled magic?

Found pics of your old brown signs a few pages/posts back, as well....

Yep. Saw them. Loved the 1970s and 80s at WDW ... truly magical!

WDW1974

The original aesthetics of WDW are hard to explain. The natural setting and landscaping were perfect and set the stage for the Magic Kingdom and it's resorts. The first time you traveled the road was amazing especially if you were young. What has become a rather more commonplace and "in your face" design in this day and age, was then a much more subtle and completely unique experience.

The magic was in the minimalism, perfect landscaping and the anticipation created by one's imagination and not garish marketing signs. But that said, there is no going back and the arches work well for the modern WDW.

*sigh*

What could have been.

OK ... write down the time and date ... because this is likely the only time in 2010 that I will agree with JT in full ... and even state that he voiced the original WDW vibe quite well ... but I'm still not sure he's ever actually visited the place!:wave:

I'll also add there was nothing like turning on WDW Radio (kids, you may have to pick up a history book) and hearing Jack 'the Voice of WDW' Wagner telling you what today's park hours were, what special events were going on, if the resorts had rooms available that night etc ... things like that won't ever be replaced by RFID chips and iPhone Apps that tell you what the wait is for Splash Mountain when you're out on the Turnpike!

WDW1974

Wow! Any idea where this photo was taken? World Drive? Was this sign at the same location as the current archway? I'm guessing no due to the curve in the road in the distance.
Pretty amazing seeing all that undeveloped property!

If I had to guess, I'd say sometime in the 1970s!

Nothing really changed at all until 1980, except for a small bit of construction starting in late '79 on EPCOT.

But since that was fairly 'in' property and since you truly could see nothing but a billboard with John Hench's park rendering with SSE prominent and a '21st century begins Oct. 1, 1982' tag right where the current exit off of World Drive into the park is located, even then you were still in the magical, vast, never-ending wilderness of Disney magic.

Today: Mousecasprawl. Complete with half built tacky motels and shopping malls with huge empty spaces.

Wilt Dasney

I'll also add there was nothing like turning on WDW Radio (kids, you may have to pick up a history book) and hearing Jack 'the Voice of WDW' Wagner telling you what today's park hours were, what special events were going on, if the resorts had rooms available that night etc ... things like that won't ever be replaced by RFID chips and iPhone Apps that tell you what the wait is for Splash Mountain when you're out on the Turnpike!
Agreed, both on the poignance of the loss and the inadequacy of more "modern" technologies to fill the void. Radio is just a special medium, and it's a real shame Disney no longer offers that experience.

EPCOT Explorer

Sure it's the issue. So many things have contributed to the Walmarting of Da World. Are these tacky entrances a big deal on their own? Hell no. But it all adds up over time to a much lesser product.
OK, now I grasp the problem...it's one of the little things that adds up to a bigger one. That's fair enough.
That's what Walmarting or Declining By Degrees or whatever way you choose to describe it is all about.

Because they DO have toons and because they are loud, garish and in your face.

And yes, I do like the ones at DL and, especially HKDL MUCH better.

You don't need to be hit over your head to be told you are at WDW: Where Dreams Come True and Magic Lives and Celebrate Anything.

If you don't know you're at WDW, then you're dead. Or you're a UK tourist who took a wrong turn onto World Drive while heading for the Sizzler or Red Lobster on 192!:)
True, as well, but there has to be some sort of marker to welcome you. Those little brown signs don't do anything for that. At all. It looks substandard, in my opinion.

You mean in addition to recycled magic?

Yep. Saw them. Loved the 1970s and 80s at WDW ... truly magical!
This brown sign fascination...has to be tied to something else. Maybe a love of Trees?:shrug::lookaroun:goodnevil
OK ... write down the time and date ... because this is likely the only time in 2010 that I will agree with JT in full ... and even state that he voiced the original WDW vibe quite well ... but I'm still not sure he's ever actually visited the place!:wave:

I'll also add there was nothing like turning on WDW Radio (kids, you may have to pick up a history book)
and hearing Jack 'the Voice of WDW' Wagner telling you what today's park hours were, what special events were going on, if the resorts had rooms available that night etc ... things like that won't ever be replaced by RFID chips and iPhone Apps that tell you what the wait is for Splash Mountain when you're out on the Turnpike!

I remember that. :D Cool stuff.

....Now, we just make our own CD for the drive in.

CaptainMichael

Yeah, I had to make a double take when I saw what JT had written. Totally unlike him!

I'm 22 and I remember a WDW Radio Station....vaguely!

Figment1986

Yeah, I had to make a double take when I saw what JT had written. Totally unlike him!

I'm 22 and I remember a WDW Radio Station....vaguely!

23 and I remember seeing signs for one... I think the signs were up till around after the 25th anniversary :shrug: (radio is a great way ot informing public of whats going on... as long as it's not filled with whats on Radio Disney...)

jt04

This is where some people misunderstand me. I don't disagree with 74 on substance. I miss the old WDW as much as anyone. That said, I don't see any going back. TWDC took a fork in the road concerning WDW and decided it was better to develop it as a marketing machine and money maker rather than a Disney run one-of-a-kind resort. That decision can probably be traced back to the demise of Walt's E.P.C.O.T.

The Empress Lilly is the perfect microcosm for the old and new WDW. The original was well done and Disney spared no expense it seems to provide a first rate dining experience.

Then it was leased out and lost it's character. Nothing against Fultons. They do a fine job but it isn't Disney.

I try to advocate for restoring these gems or preserving those that still exist. For instance, I think it would be smart of Disney to make Fulton's a deal to relocate at DTD and then restore the EL to a 4 and 5 star signature restaurant with celebrity chef. Or place a replica of the EL at the GF on the SSL with views of the MK and nightly fireworks. These are the type venues that set WDW apart originally but that are increasingly difficult to find.

Christi22222

I agree with so much that is being said here. And really love the fountain picture for an entrance.

With all the love I'm feeling on this page....should we all hold hands? Or sing "It's A Small World?" :ROFLOL:

Seriously, nice discussion and good points.

Expo_Seeker40

Right outside the Vacation Kingdom, past Hotel Plaza.....the cluster of 1970s high rise hotels....is route 535....that to me is the harbor blvd of lake buena vista err I mean lake anaheim :zipit:

Expo_Seeker40

I'll also add there was nothing like turning on WDW Radio (kids, you may have to pick up a history book) and hearing Jack 'the Voice of WDW' Wagner telling you what today's park hours were,

"The Magic Kingdom is open today from 9am to 11pm. EPCOT Center is open today from 9am to Midnight, and the Disney-MGM studios are open from 9am-9pm. Enjoy your stay here at the Vacation Kingdom of the world...Walt Disney World" :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom