Disney Parks Castles Being Removed From Property Entrance Arches

WDW1974

As a rant postscript, I've seen some of the designs/photos for what used to be called Lake Buena Vista Village and it does seem like a more serene vibe than what's there now. And obviously the old EPCOT Center was talking to grownups and really bright kids in a way that's no longer as true (I wouldn't say "no longer true" completely).

But at best I would think that meant there were islands of calm outside of the colorful funhouse of MK, which was built as the heart and soul of the property. Do I still have it wrong?

The MK was always the big draw of WDW, no doubt ... although EPCOT Center in the 1980s certainly gave it a run for its money.

But the whole resort experience was part of the deal ... everything from shopping for NON-DISNEY products in upscale waterside boutiques to spending days boating or on the links to swimming and horseback riding.

Now ... going to WDW is about toons all the time.

WDW1974

Having not experienced them, I can only guess, but I feel the brown signs would no longer work today. When they existed the Resort was much less developed. The brown signs, the same as used for national and state parks, welcomed people into this huge plot of land that was, for the most part, completely undeveloped. It was only after entering and exploring this place did one finally come upon the resort area. I have heard stories of that endless drive along the trees as one headed towards the Magic Kingdom area and the building of tension as one waited to finally arrive. The brown signs served as part of an exposition that is no longer in existence.

Good way of putting it ... the old signage was there when WDW was largely undeveloped and did help add to the suspense and excitement. There was something truly magical about driving for miles through forests with nothing around ... but that really changed starting with Disney-MGM opening and the EPCOT Resort area/Buena Vista Dr construction.

Now, WDW is overdeveloped and laps up against 192 on one side and 535 on another.

WDW1974

Those are just small parts of a much bigger whole. What The Vacation Kingdom of the World is all about is things like watching the activity at night around the Lagoon from the beach or Sunset Point at the Polynesian, having a campfire with friends at Fort Wilderness, casual shopping for pleasant little treasures at the Village Marketplace, taking a boat out to explore the intricate nooks and crannies of the waterways, discovering things you'd never expect. That's so abstract that the brainless executives and marketers of the modern Disney don't grasp it and handle the property properly. They just grab onto the obvious money makers like the characters and castles and 'wishes dreams magic' mentality and plug it ad nauseum. All of that stuff can be wonderful, but shouldn't overrule the rest of Walt Disney World, just exist alongside and work harmoniously with it. Difficult to put into words.

Of course that's why people went for the first decade or so, but the driving force and philosophy behind the development of Walt Disney World since day one was EPCOT. Magic Kingdom and company were done first merely because that's what they already knew how to do and would attract people down to Florida while they figured out what to do with EPCOT. That was the plan all along, anyways, to build the theme park and resort area and have it there while the city was being built, to act as a weenie to get people interested in the project. If the city had been built, you certainly wouldn't be saying that the Magic Kingdom is the heart and soul of Walt Disney World, would you? EPCOT also physically manifested itself in the intervening years before it opened by way of the EPCOT Building Code, too. The basic idea is that Walt Disney World is there to have an amazing place for people to visit that also contributes something to the rest of world in the form of encouraging ideas and better ways to do things. EPCOT embodies that, the Magic Kingdom is only a participant.

You nailed BOTH points above! :)

EPCOT Explorer

Good way of putting it ... the old signage was there when WDW was largely undeveloped and did help add to the suspense and excitement. There was something truly magical about driving for miles through forests with nothing around ... but that really changed starting with Disney-MGM opening and the EPCOT Resort area/Buena Vista Dr construction.

Now, WDW is overdeveloped and laps up against 192 on one side and 535 on another.

So, seeing that you readily admit that things have changed (for the better or for the worse is not the issue...here. :lol:), why do you dislike the gates, save for the 'Toons plastered all over them? I think, if they were done in a different style, like in DL, or better yet, HKDL, they'd be nice.

We got these for our 25th. Maybe our 40th will bring something. :shrug:

Found pics of your old brown signs a few pages/posts back, as well....

jt04

So, seeing that you readily admit that things have changed (for the better or for the worse is not the issue...here. :lol:), why do you dislike the gates, save for the 'Toons plastered all over them? I think, if they were done in a different style, like in DL, or better yet, HKDL, they'd be nice.

We got these for our 25th. Maybe our 40th will bring something. :shrug:

Found pics of your old brown signs a few pages/posts back, as well....

The original aesthetics of WDW are hard to explain. The natural setting and landscaping were perfect and set the stage for the Magic Kingdom and it's resorts. The first time you traveled the road was amazing especially if you were young. What has become a rather more commonplace and "in your face" design in this day and age, was then a much more subtle and completely unique experience.

The magic was in the minimalism, perfect landscaping and the anticipation created by one's imagination and not garish marketing signs. But that said, there is no going back and the arches work well for the modern WDW.

*sigh*

What could have been.

EPCOT Explorer

The original aesthetics of WDW are hard to explain. The natural setting and landscaping were perfect and set the stage for the Magic Kingdom and it's resorts. The first time you traveled the road was amazing especially if you were young. What has become a rather more commonplace and "in your face" design in this day and age, was then a much more subtle and completely unique experience.

The magic was in the minimalism, perfect landscaping and the anticipation created by one's imagination and not garish marketing signs. But that said, there is no going back and the arches work well for the modern WDW.

*sigh*

What could have been.
No need to talk down and explain, you forget I lived it. :wave:

Honestly, I was young, passed the Earful Tower and thought we were LEAVING property. I was pretty upset. :lol:

Even back then, I think there should have been gates. Not garish, and toon covered, but there should be some indication. It builds the anticipation.

jt04

No need to talk down and explain, you forget I lived it. :wave:

Honestly, I was young, passed the Earful Tower and thought we were LEAVING property. I was pretty upset. :lol:

Even back then, I think there should have been gates. Not garish, and toon covered, but there should be some indication. It builds the anticipation.

I wasn't "talking down" Evan.

hpyhnt 1000

*sigh*

What could have been.

Yeah, I think just about everyone here would agree that some aspects of the layout of the current resort are a bit strange (mousesprawl was an intresting term :lol:). At the same time, though, the purpose of acquiring all that land wasn't just because it looked pretty, it was to eventually develop it (wasn't it?)

Now, I can only imagine how pristine and clear the resort must have looked in the 70s when it first opened and there were vast expanses of trees; I'm sure it looked pretty amazing. But... that was then. You can argue that WDW is no longer as "sophisticated" as it used to be, and I'll probably agree with you to an extent, but if one of your arguments is that the road signs went from brown to purple, thats taking it a bit far. The way the resort has been marketed in recent years and the heavy emphasis on MK-esque aspects are ligitimate criticisims. But hearing the way some of you speak, it almost like you want to the resort to be the MK and surrounding resorts area everything else to be trees. I don't understand that... :shrug:

jt04

Yeah, I think just about everyone here would agree that some aspects of the layout of the current resort are a bit strange (mousesprawl was an intresting term :lol:). At the same time, though, the purpose of acquiring all that land wasn't just because it looked pretty, it was to eventually develop it (wasn't it?)

Now, I can only imagine how pristine and clear the resort must have looked in the 70s when it first opened and there were vast expanses of trees; I'm sure it looked pretty amazing. But... that was then. You can argue that WDW is no longer as "sophisticated" as it used to be, and I'll probably agree with you to an extent, but if one of your arguments is that the road signs went from brown to purple, thats taking it a bit far. The way the resort has been marketed in recent years and the heavy emphasis on MK-esque aspects are ligitimate criticisims. But hearing the way some of you speak, it almost like you want to the resort to be the MK and surrounding resorts area everything else to be trees. I don't understand that... :shrug:

I get what wdw74 is saying. :eek::lol: The resort could have been developed with a much higher sense of sophistication. Less carnival/circus and much more classy country club and high end resort. That was the feel of the original resorts around the MK. But then CBR happened. WDW became less exclusive feeling (even if it was never actually exclusive) and the uniqueness was lost. I understand this was to maximize revenue generators but it wasn't necessary. It could have been so much more than it is -- not that what they have created is bad by any means.

HMF

Like this:
anaheim_welcome.jpg
No that was much' much' worse.

Wilt Dasney

Now ... going to WDW is about toons all the time.

The characters I could honestly take or leave. But I really feel like the arch and the colors are appropriate for the whimsical feel of the property. I kind of agree that the character designs are a little too literal.

Sorry to boil down all your responses to one sentence, but I feel like all the posts I've made in this thread provide a pretty good outlay of my thoughts on the different issues this line of discussion raises. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

No that was much' much' worse.
Opinion...I love it. :lol:
The characters I could honestly take or leave. But I really feel like the arch and the colors are appropriate for the whimsical feel of the property. I kind of agree that the character designs are a little too literal.

Sorry to boil down all your responses to one sentence, but I feel like all the posts I've made in this thread provide a pretty good outlay of my thoughts on the different issues this line of discussion raises. :lol:

Agreed.

How's that for boiled?! :lol:

nemofinder22

4394895-disneyland_entrance-Anaheim.jpg

There it is. The smaller walkway ones are the same. Not as nice as the WDW ones,IMO.

Then it shifts it to all MK, pirates, princesses and pixie dust. Which is what we don't want to represent all of WDW, right?

It needs something that looks good, but isn't park specific.

Like this:
anaheim_welcome.jpg

I think that's near impossible now, with the Mousesprawl, as it were. The Blessing of Size, as Walt called it, is a little cluttered now...but if it weren't, I would agree with you.

As it stands, you enter WDW, and right away, you can see something. The best, of course, is seeing, the gates, and the Earful Tower. Ironic that you see a movie studio first. ;) :D If they need gates, it should at least look classy and representative of the resort.

BTW...This is Hong Kong's gate. Like it.

Welcome%20to%20Disneyland%20HK.jpg

DLR needs to get rid of these signs! there so ugly and scream "I'm part of DCA 2001!" lol but they look much better than they first did in 2001 when they were orange and had the 2001 DLR logo. Thankfully the "Celebrate Today" balloons look pretty good on the walk way ones, see the pic on the Disney Parks Blog heading. Also the YOAMD 1.0 was horrid on these thank goodness someone thought of the Tinker Bell design. But still new ones please. :)

I'll take something like the HKDLR one though.

Overall though not a big fan of the DLR or WDW ones maybe if they made then less "toon" like and more elegant:shrug:

IMO of course:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom