News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

*Q*

Multiple insiders? Bob Iger himself said it would be renamed.

The rumored leading names seem to be (in no particular order):
Disney Hollywood
Disney's Hollywood
Disney Hollywoodland
Disney's Hollywoodland
Disney's Hollywood Adventure
Disney Hollywood Adventure

Hope that helps.
I really like the Hollywoodland name. I personally think renaming the park is a huge waste of money, especially since none of these are that far removed from the existing name. This isn't like when they just had to drop "MGM" from the name. Maybe if they were truly overhauling the whole park, adding the Red Car Trolley, doing something long-term with the attractions and facilities around the Animation Courtyard, maybe adding something to Sunset Boulevard, updating the theme on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, etc.
Disney's Hollywood Kingdom.
I think if three of the parks have "kingdom" in the name that would probably really screw over EPCOT down the line.
Hollywoodland is also the original name for Hollywood. The "land" part fell down decades ago. Having the park called Disney's Hollywoodland is a callback to that area of Hollywood.
The "land" part was destroyed when Timothy Dalton exploded into it.

Last edited:

rnese

Okay, okay, I misused travesty, didn't I.

I bring joy, that much is certain.
I'll tell ya....
60601199.jpg

clemmo

Would this attraction be a tribute to Mickey and friends or just Mickey? I'm trying to figure out a general idea as to what the ride will be about. There's a lot of different approaches they could take to this. Personally I wouldn't mind a tribute to Walt and Mickey starting with steamboat willie

Goofyernmost

I have decided I will fly down to Orlando to see the GMR one last time as soon as they announce closure. How much time will I have prior to the announcement is this going to be a one week notice type closure or a few months ahead?
If they announced it today, you'd have about 4 1/2 months.
OR they could announce it tomorrow morning and close it tomorrow night. There is no rule. They probably won't, but, I doubt one can count on anything right now.

RobotWolf

GMR, and by extension, the rest of the park, has always been a disappointing testament to compromise. The first time I rode it, I knew that it would be much less than (initially) advertised when it eventually opened. It was an early ride system test. But you could already see certain things that definitely weren't going to change. The Footlight Parade girls and the chimney sweeps come to mind.

PrincessJulia1207

tbh now that i know more about classic films (but not quite "expert level") i definitely think Footlight Parade was an offbeat choice. i cringe thinking that they should've updated the ride by now and replaced that and tarzan the ape man with other films (while they're at it, chuck "alien" too...)
For one, they already have Singin in the Rain and Mary Poppins to represent the musicals. i know all about how Busby Burkley was an innovator and how he "saved the American movie musical genre" but his movies from the 30's really don't have a strong legacy IMO (especially not Footlight Parade) and i can't imagine they did when the ride opened either (although i wasn't born yet, so maybe i'm wrong)
p.s. i did enjoy his Garland and Rooney pictures though...

brb1006

Would this attraction be a tribute to Mickey and friends or just Mickey? I'm trying to figure out a general idea as to what the ride will be about. There's a lot of different approaches they could take to this. Personally I wouldn't mind a tribute to Walt and Mickey starting with steamboat willie
Sounds like it would focus only on Mickey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom