News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Biff215

The Pixar Live concert is in addition to BATB. I think it starts May 27th when Pandora opens. I hope I can get there and see it before I'm blocked out ...
It sounds temporary though, something to help this summer. They better add something else for Christmas and Easter next year if GMR will be closed before TSL opens. That's a lot of capacity lost.

I agree 24 months sounds unrealistic to get Mickey open, especially since GMR is landlocked during park hours. If they really wanted, they could start building behind Launch Bay right now, and then convert it to queue space once SWL is done. But that would mean actually expanding the park. Clearly the directive here is to close the attraction that is costly to operate, and replace it with something that only requires a handful of CM's and a ton of screens that are easier to maintain. I'm sure it will be a fun ride, but it comes at the expense of a classic. Shame.

djkidkaz

So without going through all the pages, what is this new Mickey ride supposed to be? Mickey through classic Hollywood movies or something with Mickey that has its own story? Should I expect to see Mickey as Clark gable?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I personally think 8 will be a stretch but that's a reasonable ballpark. It recently received a budget increase.

Yes, that happens.

Wait, what?

Q4bI5.gif

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Jack Sparrow/Backlot Tour = Alien Swirling Saucers & Slinky Dog Dash

Lights, Motors, Action = SWL (x2) - a net gain of 1 attraction

Mickey replacing GMR (moot)

What am I missing?

Rides
  • Back Lot Tour (closed Sep 2014)
  1. Toy Story Mania (replaced Millionaire, and was expanded with a third track May 27, 2016)
  2. Rock N Rollercoaster
  3. Tower of Terror
  4. The Great Movie Ride (slightly updated recently) - Coming Soon: Mickey Mouse Ride
  5. Star Tours (updated with Jakku & BB8!)
  6. Coming Soon: Slinky Coaster
  7. Coming Soon: Alien Saucer Spin
  8. Coming Soon: Alcatraz - SW Battle Escape
  9. Coming Soon: Big Bird - SW Millennial Falcon
Shows, Pre-Star Wars
  • Car Stunt Show (Lights...) (closed April 2, 2016)
  • Mulch, Sweat & Shears
  • Muppet 3D
  • Frozen Singalong & Comedy Show (new theater, permanent now, replaced American Idol, adult-friendly)
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Show
  • Little Mermaid Musical
  • Beauty and the Beast Musical
  • Fantasmic!
  • Disney Jr. (for the kids)
  • Citizens of Hollywood (street show)
  • Jedi Academy (updated, fun to watch just as a show)
  • Temporary Doctor Strange Steetmosphere
Shows, Post-Star Wars
  • SW Fireworks [And then upgraded with projection show in June]
  • Capt. Phasma with Troopers March and Show of Force
  • Star Wars Stage Show (replaced Dance Party which replaced Big Hat)
  • Coming Soon: Music of Pixar

Displays -- Passive and Interactive
  • Path of the Jedi Short Movie (in flex space replacing Sounds Dangerous)
  • One Man's Dream (the movie portion may be temporarily replaced by a theatrical preview)
  • Launch Bay (replaced Animation Studio)
  • Club Disney Dance Party & Special Events (in the newly added Sunset Showcase venue) [Dance Party on hiatus... may come back. Club Villain on select nights (extra cost ticket)]
  • Shrunken Playground (closed May)
  • Osborn Lights Seasonal Show (not coming back as Streets of America is a closed off construction zone)
  • Jingle BAM Fireworks & Projection Seasonal Show (no longer displacing the SW fireworks)

Meet & Greets

• Star Wars: Chewie, Kylo, Storm Troopers, Jawas (make sure you have a trinket to trade), BB-8
  • Hollywood Mickey & Minnie (replaced Sorcerer Mickey in Sound Stage 4 which replaced the guest lounge which replaced Captain Jack Sparrow which replaced Narnia, etc...)
  • Olaf
  • Pixar characters (Woody, Buzz, in Pixar Way)
  • Green Army Men Boot Camp streetmosphere
  • Disney Jr. (Doc, Jake, Sophia)
  • Character Meals at Hollywood & Vine (Disney Jr. for breakfast and lunch, Fab Four for dinner [New!])
  • Cars; Phineas & Ferb; Mike and Sully [Characters were in the way of construction]

Last edited:

Biff215

GMR is not landlocked anymore..
Thanks for correcting that, forgot about the dead ends back there. Still question the turnaround time that while not impossible, would feel like record speed for Disney these days, especially with so much other work going on.

If DHS wasn't already a half day park for most, this closure will make it even more difficult to justify much more for me. Shows are attractions, but even those aren't as plentiful as they once were. You would think they'd be more concerned about losing guests to the other Orlando parks.

Bocabear

Do we even know if the Millenium Falcon attraction is going to be a ride? It has only been mentiuoned that you can pilot the Millenium Falcon...this could just be an elaborate walk-through exhibit where you can sit in the pilot's seat and have your picture taken... There have been no mention of ride system that I have seen...

gmajew

Premium Member
It sounds temporary though, something to help this summer. They better add something else for Christmas and Easter next year if GMR will be closed before TSL opens. That's a lot of capacity lost.

I agree 24 months sounds unrealistic to get Mickey open, especially since GMR is landlocked during park hours. If they really wanted, they could start building behind Launch Bay right now, and then convert it to queue space once SWL is done. But that would mean actually expanding the park. Clearly the directive here is to close the attraction that is costly to operate, and replace it with something that only requires a handful of CM's and a ton of screens that are easier to maintain. I'm sure it will be a fun ride, but it comes at the expense of a classic. Shame.

Since it is already a ride building they can work 24/7 on it and just need to move the systems into place at night... No reason this would take more then 2 years... should be able to complete in 18 months if they really moved on it... And since it appears the facade is not changing should be fast. Will it well that is another story.... I personally think they don't want to open much until all at the same time... and the park is just being used to spread people until that happens.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Do we even know if the Millenium Falcon attraction is going to be a ride? It has only been mentiuoned that you can pilot the Millenium Falcon...this could just be an elaborate walk-through exhibit where you can sit in the pilot's seat and have your picture taken... There have been no mention of ride system that I have seen...

The construction in the SWL of DL shows the base of a ride system. A ride system our insiders predicted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom