News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Bocabear

Agreed... Close Launch Bay and build the Mickey Ride There... After Star Warsland Opens, put GMR under the knife for a complete and total refresh...but keep it The Great Movie Ride... Meanwhile expand animation courtyard towards RNRC with a toontown section and add Roger Rabbits ride from Disneyland. THEN DHS would feel like it has a real ride roster and would be a worthy gate to compete with MK

aladdin2007

Total travesty.

Took my last spin today. Really sad.

And not that it matters, and I never do this, but I went to guest services and said I know they're replacing the ride and I think it's a mistake. They agreed with me but with a wink and a nod said "it's not closing". It was cute. The castmembers here don't understand what's going on either. Many have said they think the makeover has been a complete mess.

Its funny cause I think a lot of us here are way more in the know, and certainly care more, than a lot of guest services and hourly cast.

Kman101

Its funny cause I think a lot of us here are way more in the know, and certainly care more, than a lot of guest services and hourly cast.

Oh, I know I am/we are, LOL. I just thought it would be fun to talk about it with castmembers and see what they say. You occasionally find a castmember who is "aware" (like you and me aware and they share the same opinion) but most aren't. It was a denial in the sense they were aware that like you and me but I don't ever go looking to anyone for inside information. I obviously know to come here :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we get back to complaining about the travesty of replacing the Great Movie Ride?

Total travesty.

Yes.

Travesty.

upload_2017-3-31_17-3-28.png

aladdin2007

Oh, I know I am/we are, LOL. I just thought it would be fun to talk about it with castmembers and see what they say. You occasionally find a castmember who is "aware" (like you and me aware and they share the same opinion) but most aren't. It was a denial in the sense they were aware that like you and me but I don't ever go looking to anyone for inside information. I obviously know to come here :D

haha yeah that's for sure, I have yet to really come across one who knew anything at all, but its fun to feel one out now and then and see if they come out with anything. Even in the stores if you ask where a particular item is, the person working there has no idea, but I can usually find it. its fun lol.

Mike S

The most "aware" CMs I've spoken to work at One Man's Dream. Pretty fitting.

FigmentFan3

Agreed... Close Launch Bay and build the Mickey Ride There... After Star Warsland Opens, put GMR under the knife for a complete and total refresh...but keep it The Great Movie Ride... Meanwhile expand animation courtyard towards RNRC with a toontown section and add Roger Rabbits ride from Disneyland. THEN DHS would feel like it has a real ride roster and would be a worthy gate to compete with MK
This is one of those posts where I'm disappointed I can't like it multiple times.

PorterRedkey

So I first rode GMR in 1989. It was amazing! I loved the real people interacting with the story.

Then, toward the end of the ride, you saw the Wicked Witch. I knew it was AA, but I was still impressed (first A-100?). I remember my family didn't believe me and they thought it was a real person. Especially since there were actually real people interacting during the ride.

My family believed.
GMR blurred the lines between props and people, real and synthetic.

GMR is a true work of art!

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

I rode it 3 times last trip, but I was hoping to ride 1 last time in Sept. :(

Another long-form dark ride destroyed, and this one was the centerpiece and thesis statement for the park. I can't say how much I think this decision is short-sighted. As it has been said before, the Mickey ride belongs in the old "Animation courtyard'" and GMR needs a few new scenes and updated to keep it popular well into the future.

The Mickey ride, if moved, would result in 2 E-tickets instead of one. That would mean more capacity once SWE opened, even if the Mickey ride had to open in 2020.

I was really hoping the timeline restrictions would make the Mickey ride an idea that got shuffled back into the deck of Disney ride ideas.

GMR you will be missed!:cry::cry::depressed::eek::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::cold::cyclops::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

clemmo

So the big question is do we see this announced at D23? I would not expect any of the MK tomorrowland stuff to be announced yet, more likely at D23 19 in preparation for the 50th. (lol 23-19 that would be perfect to announce monsters inc attractions) so assuming the platform focuses mostly on the American parks I'd think they'll go into more detail about SWL then announce GMR, RAT, gondolas, and maybe the fantasyland project in DL though I'm not sure how far along that is in planning.

Princess Leia

Wandered back in here for the first time in awhile...

And I'm still upset, so I'm just going to take my leave again.

I can't. I really can't. I'm a huge classic film buff, and loved this ride, corny as it was at times (and as bad as some of the scene looked since they hadn't had touch ups in years). I'm just really upset about the park about riding the movies losing the attraction that had 'ride the movies' in its tagline.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom