Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

AkaiDoragon

Personally I would consider it a bit of a complement that they used your pictures, provided they give credit of course. Especially if they arnt linking the file and are hosting it to save bandwith... but thats up to you.

My interest here is the TYPE of application this is.. how is it going to be distributed in the future? Im wondering if its going to be loaded onto a DS Cartridge so you can use it in your DS or Disneys or if its going to be loaded into the DS's memory via WiFi, probably the latter as this would allow people to use their own DS.

Picture it, you walk into the park walk up to a "Download Station" and BAM your DS connects and installs the application. Some EB Games here in canada are like this, Nintendo installs a small WiFi box which gets updated every so often with demos, etc. It allows you to walk into some stores and install the demos wirelessly and play them (until you turn off the DS then its lost from memory)

Figment1986

Not currently. Disneyland doesn't have the technological infrastructure that WDW does. They don't even have credit card machines at many of their food carts because they dont have that wireless network set up.

the dolewhip booth was the first ODV to get the new machines... Dole whip floats bought by credit card with a PAP discount.. cheaper than back at WDW.

They take time to change, mostly since everyone who goes is local and has cash... unlike WDW where most are vacationers and take credit..

photopass took a while to be tested and catch on over there.

WDWFREAK53

Seems like Disney had a tough time getting guests to try this out......

http://www.destructoid.com/disney-s-ds-magic-connection-test-was-a-hard-sell-67473.phtml

Perhaps they could have offered this to all resort guests upon check-in and charged the deposit to their room?

Think about it...if you weren't a Disney nut like us...would you be willing to give them $300 for something you hardly knew about?

Even me as a nut wouldn't do it. What if something happened to it? Sorry, that's $300 that I'd like to have during my trip.

Disney: Hello, would you like to test out our new interactive park map? You give us $300.00, we'll give you this machine...(that your kids will fight over :lol: ) and then come back after the park closes...and if nothing is wrong, we'll give you your $300.00 back.

Average Guest: Uhh...isn't this paper map gonna help us? For free?

MissM

I would have loved to try it out but I would have had to say no simply because I don't have $300 for the deposit. (I don't have any credit cards.) So I can totally see this test being a hard sell and getting significantly less numbers than desired.
-m

Dragonrider1227

Omg! THIS IS GONNA BE SOOOO COOL!!!
Okay, not letting outside DS's use this feature was a BAD idea. Not to mention the $300 deposit thingy. I don't blame the guests. I wouldn't gone for that either

starwood

Now, what you can do is arrive at the MK first thing in the morning, go to Town Hall and ask if they have a DS to rent. You leave the deposit and get your DS for the entire day. At the end of the day, give it back.

One thing I'm not clear on is how much the deposit is. Anyone know?

Disney_Freak429

Exactly

A DS goes for $129.99

The only reason I see a deposit having to be any higher for it is for the hardware/software involved in it. But it still should not be $300 even with that.

I know for one if they don't offer it to people to already own a DS somehow it would be a BIG mistake. They could sell a software title for each park at around $30 each to every DS owner that goes to Disney this would make them some major cash. I would even buy a DS if they offered this as software. But if it was only for rent I would pass because its not worth it & won't save me enough time or help me enough to be a good idea to rent it each time I visit. I mean fix the small issues with it add a Hidden Mickey guide and I can tell you these things (if for sale) will fly off the shelfs.

xtremeservice

I would say that the price would be a lot higher because of the price of the gps addon card. I would hope that it would allow you to use the gps function away from the parks??????:shrug:

kathyjacks

This is an awesome idea and I hope they do it. My kids 10 and 7 always take their DS's on vacations with them to play during downtime in the hotel and since I bought a disney backpack last time we went to DW it would be easy enough to throw it in the backpack and take it to the parks with us. I can't wait to see what happens with this.:animwink:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Actually, last I heard, you can't just bring in any old DS. You have to rent a DS from the park itself. I'm not sure if it's a moneymaking scheme or just a necesity for the software, but that's my understanding of it.

David

Lou Mongello had a segment on his podcast www.wdwradio.com this past week. I think it sounds like a terrific idea and the guest on his show that had used it had great time with it. A few kinks to be worked out, but overall a wonderful idea.

disneydiva72

I don't think this will do well if they do not allow guests to bring THEIR OWN DS....I would diffidently let my kids bring their DS's into the parks to use it....but Ill be danged if I'm going to put $600.00 on my Credit Card for it, no way, no how.....

CLandrum

Has anyone heard any recent news on this? I just got my daughter a DS for her birthday mainly for our roadtrip to disney. I hope this takes off and they let you use your own DS. I would pay $30 for the software. Sounds neat!

Please tell me if any new news has been floating around.:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom