Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

jamie666

Has anyone heard any recent news on this? I just got my daughter a DS for her birthday mainly for our roadtrip to disney. I hope this takes off and they let you use your own DS. I would pay $30 for the software. Sounds neat!

Please tell me if any new news has been floating around.:sohappy:

I thought they scrapped this??

trondannyboy

Being a guy who uses his Tom and iPhone all the time. I had great hopes for this. Before it was announced about a year ago i was giving friends and family an example on my Pc of how WDW tom tom could work. They were all quite impressed. Same GUI (Graphical User Interface) as any ole Tom Tom just different icons etc.. I look on my hard drive and see if I can find any of the Photoshop Moc ups i made to show them. But the idea of having an interactive park map where you can instantly see the average wait time for a ride, food place. Or look at the menu for any food place is a cool idea. But then again this is one Computer geek who can never leave home without his Gadgets.

avirata

Is there any accessory for the Nintendo Wii to connect a SNES controller?I don't like the classic controller because it eats batteries. I'd rather have a long corded SNES controller. Does anyone know of any way of connecting a SNES controller to the Nintendo Wii?

Mr Toad

I love the DS idea but I think its probably more practical if it is an iTouch/iPhone application versus a DS application. Yeah, it would be one of thousands of applications, but once available, it would be a snap to download.

bgraham34

I love the DS idea but I think its probably more practical if it is an iTouch/iPhone application versus a DS application. Yeah, it would be one of thousands of applications, but once available, it would be a snap to download.

Yeah it is too late on the DS's time now. The iphone would be the best option or the ipod touch as well.

DisneyMusician2

Yeah it is too late on the DS's time now. The iphone would be the best option or the ipod touch as well.

Not to re-hash, but I hope Disney stays away from Apple or any other proprietary device that only runs on one network or is exclusive.

Unless they intend to rent the iphones out on a day-to-day basis. Then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, it just smacks of elitism that I wish they would steer clear of at the world. (aka paid FP ideas, levels of ticket based on accommodation, and other such measures)

marcriss

I'm sorry if I'm repeating info (and please don't flame me if I am) but I read somewhere that Disney was in the planning stages of an interactive service with Verizon.

I can't remember where I saw it but I think we were at Disney (Dec 08). I was pretty bummed at the time because I had just bought my iphone.

kashmir

I'm sorry if I'm repeating info (and please don't flame me if I am) but I read somewhere that Disney was in the planning stages of an interactive service with Verizon.

I can't remember where I saw it but I think we were at Disney (Dec 08). I was pretty bummed at the time because I had just bought my iphone.

I wondered how that Verizon thing worked...now I wonder about the Nintendo deal...any more info. for either? Any help is appreciated!

WDWFREAK53

Not to re-hash, but I hope Disney stays away from Apple or any other proprietary device that only runs on one network or is exclusive.

Unless they intend to rent the iphones out on a day-to-day basis. Then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, it just smacks of elitism that I wish they would steer clear of at the world. (aka paid FP ideas, levels of ticket based on accommodation, and other such measures)

While I understand where you are coming from, the iPod Touch does not require an AT&T contract.

Anybody can walk into an Apple Store, buy an iPod Touch...and hop online and download as long as they are in a WiFi area.

And to further my post...you don't need an AT&T contract with an iPhone either. You won't get it for the $99...but you can still buy it for full price and go to another service.

dxwwf3

And to further my post...you don't need an AT&T contract with an iPhone either. You won't get it for the $99...but you can still buy it for full price and go to another service.

How exactly does that work? Does Verizon and other companies have iPhone data plans and things like that or if you use the iPhone do you just use that companies pre-existing data plans?

WDWFREAK53

How exactly does that work? Does Verizon and other companies have iPhone data plans and things like that or if you use the iPhone do you just use that companies pre-existing data plans?

I'm not 100% sure. I know that you can just buy an iPhone and many people have unlocked their iPhones to go to other service providers.

(NOTE: If you unlock an iPhone, it voids all warranties and you can't get any software upgrades).

EDIT: I was wrong...you can buy the iPhone without an AT&T Contract...but it's still AT&T service.

dxwwf3

Ok that was my understanding too. I thought you had to use AT&T service no matter what. And in my neck of the woods, AT&T is useless.

Rob562

The last I heard, the mobile phone application was still in the planning/installation phase. Over the past 6-8 months they've been doing a lot of work to upgrade their on-property cell coverage. (What good is an application for a cell phone if your cell phone doesn't have a signal?)

I'd presume that once all of the upgrades and additional antenna installations are done, we'll see the roll-out of the mobile phone application.

Also, the last I heard is that Disney was planning on making some features/information available to all cell phone users, but that Verizon users would have additional features. (Just what those features are has not been announced)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom