Disney Diet Buddies...

ggauthier82

Well, it's Monday morning and I survived the weekend with the in-laws. Believe it or not, I managed to lose almost 2 lbs this weekend! Even after eating a cinnamon bun last night! Go figure! Hopefully the rest of the week will go as well!

We went to the playground yesterday and I gave it my all. I played with the kids, made them run to catch me, climbed the rock-climbing thing... boy that was fun and a great way to get moving.

34 lbs lost, 9 to go!! 14 weeks before flying off to see Mickey!! :sohappy:

disneypearl

This is what I need to do. I really need motivation to start and reading this helps. I would love to lose some weight and think a good goal would be around 10 - 15 pounds. Would like more but want to set a goal that I can accomplish. I just keep thinking that I will start tomorrow and so on. It helps that I think I will be going to WDW in January. Gotta look good for the vacation photos. :)

britdaw

I'm with you guys... I'm trying to lose 60 pounds before our trip... I have a little under a year to do it in, and I'm currently using a rowing machine and limiting carbs. :D I've lost 10 pounds so far...

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Search online for one of those calorie calculators so you know how many calories you should be eating per day. For example it says I should eat 2500 calories per day to maintain my current weight. To lose 1 pound per week I need to reduce 500 calories/day.

Also small changes make a difference. Don't skip breakfast either! Your body will store fat because it goes into starvation mode.

sweetpee_1993

I definitely think you can reach your goal by September! Working out is a mind game for me as well. Now that I'm finished with night classes, I am going to commit myself to 6 days a week unless something comes up that takes away my time. I read that you go running a few times a week. What keeps you motivated when it comes to running? My husband loves to run, and I hate it! He told me though that as soon as I train for a half-marathon we will go to Disney and run one. You would think that would be enough for me! :lol: I can walk all day and all night long, and I just absolutely dread running.

I may need to try that. I actually really enjoy doing muscle toning now, and I was so afraid of it for so long. Right now the heaviest weights I am using are 4lb weights or combining them with my 2lb weights for a little more. I am thinking about picking up some 8lbs just to fatigue my muscles even more.

I might have to try Turbofire now. I see the infomercials for it, and it looks intriguing and fast-paced. I like the workouts that I do now at home, but I'm getting a little bored. So, I'm thinking about trying something new for the summer. I've also thought about picking up the Zumba at home workout dvds. Has anyone tried these?

I "try" to walk/run at least 4 days per week. It's the mind-game. If I've done it more days than I haven't then I feel like less of a slacker. LOL! Last week I did 5 days. Yesterday I went but today I skipped. I'll not skip the rest of the week days + Saturday. Motivation to run. It's hard to say, exactly. Weird. Here's what drives me the most:

About 6 years ago I had to take a PT test and pass certain fitness requirements in order to proceed with applying for a patrol position with a police department where we used to live. When I started out I was hell-n-gone from being able to reach those requirements. I didn't stand a chance. I worked for months to get myself conditioned. I would run in the cold and the rain. At work during quiet hours I'd be on the floor cranking out men's push-ups. I'd pull 12 hour shifts then come home & run some more. It was brutal. The morning of the test had to throw more obstacles my way. My only weakness with the running then was the cold. Cold was just painful. And wouldn't ya know it? They scheduled the test for 8:00 a.m. on a 32 degree morning that I had just finished up a 12 hour shift at 6:00 a.m. No sleep. On my way to the track where we were to meet I even considered throwing in the towel and going on home. I didn't stand a very good chance of making the 1.5 mile run in the required amount of time (I think my age bracket had me at 15:30 or less). I was sure I was just going to embarrass myself. The only reason I showed up at all was because a friend of mine who worked for that department had talked it up for me with the chief and I didn't want to reflect on him poorly. To make matters worse, I was the ONLY girl there in group of like 25 potential applicants. Great. I don't think I could've felt like more of the oddball. The run began. Not even a lap around the track it felt like someone was jamming hot knives into my chest & throat. The pain was excrutiating. I slowed to a walk. All the boys passed me up. I felt so low. I wanted to just cry. I started thinking of one of my female coworkers who also had aspirations of getting into patrol (not easy for girls to do where we were). She had taken a PT test with another department and failed her run. When I asked why she didn't make it she said, "I got a stitch in my side. I couldn't run." All I could think of when she told me that was, "So what?! It's just pain. If you wanna get somewhere you're gonna have to be able to get past that and fight." And I thought about myself walking along all defeated and realized I was only defeating myself. I told myself that I had to run. Walking wasn't an option. So I started running again. With every stupid step I took my body screamed to stop & walk. I just kept saying to myself, "Don't walk. It's not going to hurt less when you run again. Run." And that's what I did. It was all a mental game and, by God, losing was NOT going to happen in front of all those boys. I was NOT going to be the wimpy little girly-girl. Each lap I completed my friend who worked for that department would shout encouragement to me. Each lap that passed more and more of the other officers cheered me on. Some of the guys had given in and were walking and I was passing them. At the start of my last lap my friend shouted my time to me. I don't even know what it was. I still was just dying from the pain of it. Determined to put every ounce of my soul into this task I started really sprinting. I was digging. My legs went numb. I could just see myself doing a face-plant in the dirt. It was insane but still I freakin' gave it everything I had and then some. I ended up finishing 2 minutes less than my required time. At the finish some of the other potential applicants offered their congrats and high fives. I was soooo pumped! Every other test I had that day (sit ups, men's push-ups, & sit & reach) I surpassed the required minimum by a long-shot. On my way home I felt like I had conquered the world. I felt sooooo strong in every way. It wasn't about just passing. It was about being everything that I could be which I was. It was a feeling I just can't really put into words. So now, when I run, I think of that day. I think of pushing past any physical discomfort because it's what makes me stronger. I want to succeed. I want to be at my maximum potential. It's crazy but that's the thing that motivates me. I just don't want to be the wimpy girly-girl.

In the end, I was offered the patrol position at the police department I was applying to. One of only 2 in that group of 25 that started out. The week they made the offer I got a substantial raise where I was so I ended up declining. Crazy, huh??? :hammer:

Since I'm just starting back into my running after such a long hiatus I'm taking it slow. I prefer to run on timed intervals. I use the "Couch to 5k" training schedule as a guide. I don't follow it to a 'T' but I've been thinking maybe in the next few weeks I'll challenge myself by seeing if I can. I bet I can.

I'd love to run a Disney event. Right now I have my sights set on the Castaway 5k when we're on our cruise in September. It's not really an official running event. It's just a group that gets together on CC day on Disney's cruises and runs a 5k route. A lot of folks walk/run. I think it'd be cool to run my first full 5k on my first cruise! Running in the summer is hard for me, tho. Where we live is coastal and it gets like Disney World hot-n-humid. One morning at the start of last summer I made myself sick from the heat. That scared me. It takes careful planning and support for me to be able to run this time of year. I wait until the sun is going down to avoid the added heat from the sunlight. My youngest (13 yro) straps on his backpack with bottles of water, a towel, & a cell phone and rides his bike along with me. He hands off water bottles to me and keeps an eye on me. :wave:

Well, it's Monday morning and I survived the weekend with the in-laws. Believe it or not, I managed to lose almost 2 lbs this weekend! Even after eating a cinnamon bun last night! Go figure! Hopefully the rest of the week will go as well!

We went to the playground yesterday and I gave it my all. I played with the kids, made them run to catch me, climbed the rock-climbing thing... boy that was fun and a great way to get moving.

34 lbs lost, 9 to go!! 14 weeks before flying off to see Mickey!! :sohappy:

Yaaay for making it thru the weekend and even losing more!!!! Okay so I was baaaad on Mother's Day. My hubby is such an enabler! However, I'm proud that I drank less than half my tall Coconut Mocha Frappucino (skim, no whip). The 4 donuts I ate are another story entirely. I spent 5 hours Saturday and 3 hours Sunday scrubbing upholstery & carpeting in the used Yukon we recently bought for our 15 year old (he has to pay us for half of it when he turns 16 next year in order to get it). I think that thing is officially the filthiest vehicle I ever cleaned. So I did get some physical work in over the weekend. I guess all was not lost. :cool:

Search online for one of those calorie calculators so you know how many calories you should be eating per day. For example it says I should eat 2500 calories per day to maintain my current weight. To lose 1 pound per week I need to reduce 500 calories/day.

Also small changes make a difference. Don't skip breakfast either! Your body will store fat because it goes into starvation mode.

This is sooooo true! NEVER skip meals! That only slows your metabolism. If your body isn't sure when you'll feed it again it'll start saving up to prepare for the long-haul. Feed yourself regularly. Make good choices and watch the portions. Your body will thank you! :wave:

sweetpee_1993

Did my walk/run this morning. Intervals still at 1:30/1:30. Think tomorrow I'll bump it up to 2:00/1:00. I'm going in to do a weigh & measure for the weight loss program at my doctor's office this afternoon. I'm totally dreading it. If drinky-drinks weren't empty calories and if I had someone to drive me I'd down a couple drinks before to soften the blow. Maybe I'll tell the nurse to lie to me. Weigh & measure on a curve. :lol: Gee, I hope I don't break down and cry. Ugh. I dread this. :cry:

TurboCaroline

Did my walk/run this morning. Intervals still at 1:30/1:30. Think tomorrow I'll bump it up to 2:00/1:00. I'm going in to do a weigh & measure for the weight loss program at my doctor's office this afternoon. I'm totally dreading it. If drinky-drinks weren't empty calories and if I had someone to drive me I'd down a couple drinks before to soften the blow. Maybe I'll tell the nurse to lie to me. Weigh & measure on a curve. :lol: Gee, I hope I don't break down and cry. Ugh. I dread this. :cry:

Don't focus on the scale too much...I lost 1 pant size but only 8 lbs...muscle weights more than fat..I have a lot of muscle..:lookaroun

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

Focus more on how your clothes fit than what the scale says. Its like age- its just a number. :)

I used to get really hung up on the numbers and get really discouraged. I've since stopped stepping on the scales and can feel a big difference in the way my clothes fit. I know if I were to weigh myself today I'd be disappointed with the number even though I know I'm in the best shape of my life.

sweetpee_1993

Don't focus on the scale too much...I lost 1 pant size but only 8 lbs...muscle weights more than fat..I have a lot of muscle..:lookaroun

Thank you! Yeah, I gotcha. I haven't been in for a weigh & measure since the fall...and about 12 lbs. ago. I'm hoping she'll have time to do the full BMI measure thing. I like to use that number as my guide more than anything. Plus, this is my starting line. It's gonna get better from here. Right???

popsicletrees

I "try" to walk/run at least 4 days per week. It's the mind-game. If I've done it more days than I haven't then I feel like less of a slacker. LOL! Last week I did 5 days. Yesterday I went but today I skipped. I'll not skip the rest of the week days + Saturday. Motivation to run. It's hard to say, exactly. Weird. Here's what drives me the most:

About 6 years ago I had to take a PT test and pass certain fitness requirements in order to proceed with applying for a patrol position with a police department where we used to live. When I started out I was hell-n-gone from being able to reach those requirements. I didn't stand a chance. I worked for months to get myself conditioned. I would run in the cold and the rain. At work during quiet hours I'd be on the floor cranking out men's push-ups. I'd pull 12 hour shifts then come home & run some more. It was brutal. The morning of the test had to throw more obstacles my way. My only weakness with the running then was the cold. Cold was just painful. And wouldn't ya know it? They scheduled the test for 8:00 a.m. on a 32 degree morning that I had just finished up a 12 hour shift at 6:00 a.m. No sleep. On my way to the track where we were to meet I even considered throwing in the towel and going on home. I didn't stand a very good chance of making the 1.5 mile run in the required amount of time (I think my age bracket had me at 15:30 or less). I was sure I was just going to embarrass myself. The only reason I showed up at all was because a friend of mine who worked for that department had talked it up for me with the chief and I didn't want to reflect on him poorly. To make matters worse, I was the ONLY girl there in group of like 25 potential applicants. Great. I don't think I could've felt like more of the oddball. The run began. Not even a lap around the track it felt like someone was jamming hot knives into my chest & throat. The pain was excrutiating. I slowed to a walk. All the boys passed me up. I felt so low. I wanted to just cry. I started thinking of one of my female coworkers who also had aspirations of getting into patrol (not easy for girls to do where we were). She had taken a PT test with another department and failed her run. When I asked why she didn't make it she said, "I got a stitch in my side. I couldn't run." All I could think of when she told me that was, "So what?! It's just pain. If you wanna get somewhere you're gonna have to be able to get past that and fight." And I thought about myself walking along all defeated and realized I was only defeating myself. I told myself that I had to run. Walking wasn't an option. So I started running again. With every stupid step I took my body screamed to stop & walk. I just kept saying to myself, "Don't walk. It's not going to hurt less when you run again. Run." And that's what I did. It was all a mental game and, by God, losing was NOT going to happen in front of all those boys. I was NOT going to be the wimpy little girly-girl. Each lap I completed my friend who worked for that department would shout encouragement to me. Each lap that passed more and more of the other officers cheered me on. Some of the guys had given in and were walking and I was passing them. At the start of my last lap my friend shouted my time to me. I don't even know what it was. I still was just dying from the pain of it. Determined to put every ounce of my soul into this task I started really sprinting. I was digging. My legs went numb. I could just see myself doing a face-plant in the dirt. It was insane but still I freakin' gave it everything I had and then some. I ended up finishing 2 minutes less than my required time. At the finish some of the other potential applicants offered their congrats and high fives. I was soooo pumped! Every other test I had that day (sit ups, men's push-ups, & sit & reach) I surpassed the required minimum by a long-shot. On my way home I felt like I had conquered the world. I felt sooooo strong in every way. It wasn't about just passing. It was about being everything that I could be which I was. It was a feeling I just can't really put into words. So now, when I run, I think of that day. I think of pushing past any physical discomfort because it's what makes me stronger. I want to succeed. I want to be at my maximum potential. It's crazy but that's the thing that motivates me. I just don't want to be the wimpy girly-girl.

In the end, I was offered the patrol position at the police department I was applying to. One of only 2 in that group of 25 that started out. The week they made the offer I got a substantial raise where I was so I ended up declining. Crazy, huh??? :hammer:

Ok, well I don't (and hope I won't) have a story like that to keep me motivated. I've always just hated running. I wish I didn't. There have only been a few times that I've gone out running and felt really good during it. My sister-in-law bought me a book for training for half-marathons that does the run/walk intervals. That seems manageable at least. There is a half marathon at the Chickamauga battlefield near where I live in November that I think I am going to try and do. I may start out at the C25K program just to get me moving and going.

I am with you on the heat. I hate hot weather. While we don't live on the coast, it does get really hot and humid here in the summer. So, I think I've picked a bad time of the year to start trying to get back into running. I have no problem running at night, but I may have to just wake up early to get a run in before my grad classes this summer.

I have to confess that I was bad this weekend. Some friends of mine got married, and the girls had a shower for the bride on Friday. I snacked too much on top of the dinner I had at rehearsal. I paid for that the next day when Wii Fit told me I gained 2lbs. I have taken off 1.5 of it already even with going out with my family for Mother's Day.

sweetpee_1993

Ok, well I don't (and hope I won't) have a story like that to keep me motivated. I've always just hated running. I wish I didn't. There have only been a few times that I've gone out running and felt really good during it. My sister-in-law bought me a book for training for half-marathons that does the run/walk intervals. That seems manageable at least. There is a half marathon at the Chickamauga battlefield near where I live in November that I think I am going to try and do. I may start out at the C25K program just to get me moving and going.

I am with you on the heat. I hate hot weather. While we don't live on the coast, it does get really hot and humid here in the summer. So, I think I've picked a bad time of the year to start trying to get back into running. I have no problem running at night, but I may have to just wake up early to get a run in before my grad classes this summer.

I have to confess that I was bad this weekend. Some friends of mine got married, and the girls had a shower for the bride on Friday. I snacked too much on top of the dinner I had at rehearsal. I paid for that the next day when Wii Fit told me I gained 2lbs. I have taken off 1.5 of it already even with going out with my family for Mother's Day.

Running is never something that feels good while I'm doing it. It hurts. It's hot. I'm focusing on keeping my shoulders back, my body relaxed, control the breathing, etc. I don't enjoy the act of doing it as much as I enjoy how I feel after which is more motivation. Running is a mind-over-matter brain game for me.

Running the evenings in the hour or so before the sun goes down works out good for me in the heat of the summer. With the descending sun it's steadily cooling off vs. heating up while the sun is coming up in the morning. As I heat up from the run the sun is going away which is a very good thing. I'm not at all a morning person. It's a toss-up if I'll make it out of bed early enough to run in the summer. I'm more likely to make it in the evening. :D

Number_6

Started a new job as a Wellness Coach today. Had my training on the basics and tomorrow I'll be given my own Wellness Evaluation by my trainer. If anyone is interested in having a Wellness Evaluation done for them, PM me and I'll see about setting one up by phone for you, if you're interested.

Disneydreamer23

How much weight did every one loose so far I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks, i am eating healthy for breakfast and lunch and for dinner i am eating what i would usually eat but cutting my poirtions in half. Also no more pop :-( want to loose 60 more pounds by october

popsicletrees

Running is never something that feels good while I'm doing it. It hurts. It's hot. I'm focusing on keeping my shoulders back, my body relaxed, control the breathing, etc. I don't enjoy the act of doing it as much as I enjoy how I feel after which is more motivation. Running is a mind-over-matter brain game for me.

Running the evenings in the hour or so before the sun goes down works out good for me in the heat of the summer. With the descending sun it's steadily cooling off vs. heating up while the sun is coming up in the morning. As I heat up from the run the sun is going away which is a very good thing. I'm not at all a morning person. It's a toss-up if I'll make it out of bed early enough to run in the summer. I'm more likely to make it in the evening. :D

I agree. Plus, my lungs start to burn at times. I would much rather run in the evenings. There is a well-lit greenway near my home, and I could run that at night. I really do hate running in the mornings even though it is cooler and less humid outside. I really just feel like I don't have the energy to do it.

How much weight did every one loose so far I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks, i am eating healthy for breakfast and lunch and for dinner i am eating what i would usually eat but cutting my poirtions in half. Also no more pop :-( want to loose 60 more pounds by october

Great job! :sohappy: That is awesome! Keep it up!

I am down almost 1/2 a pound for the week, which I'm ok with since I only have 6 lbs to go to reach my goal.

sweetpee_1993

I did my weigh & measure last week and got my shot. Ugh. My target weight is always 160 lbs. My body usually likes 168. Last Wednesday I was 178. :cry:

I up'ed my walk/run intervals to 1 minute walk/2 minute run. My youngest son, Brian, who's 13 yrs old is skinny as a rail but has decided he wants to be physically fit so he's been going with me. It's really cool. He started out with a goal of 7 intervals to my 10. Then he got where he felt so good going with me that he wanted to do an extra one so he'd feel better. On Tuesday this week he got a little over-confident and took off sprinting on one of his later intervals. I was like -->:brick:, that's gonna hurt him. Well, sure enough, after we got home he didn't drink enough water, didn't stretch, then went up to his room and curled up on his gaming rocker to watch tv. When he tried to stand up his legs gave.

But here's the cool part, y'all. And I'm such a proud mama that I gotta tell y'all this part! The following morning we all got up as usual but Brian was really slow & tender moving. When he made it downstairs he looked at me from his perch at the table and said, "Mom, I'm sorry if I'm letting you down but my legs hurt so bad. I don't think I can go this morning." I assured him I was fine with that. I understand. We talked about why that happened and how to avoid it in the future then the subject dropped. I finished up my iced coffee & oatmeal then prepared to hit the pavement. I was sitting on the bottom step puting on my running shoes when he came over to me with tears in his eyes. "Mom, I really feel like I'm letting you down and I want to go. The worst part is that I think I'm letting myself down. I don't want to do that." Bless his heart. I told him that if he wanted to give it a shot we could just start out walking slowly and see how he feels. If he felt up to it we could increase our walk speed as much as he is okay with. If we ended up only jogging a little here and there, it's okay. And if he got started and was unable to continue it would be alright for him to come back home. Then he could feel better knowing he at least tried. Big smiles from my boy. He hurried upstairs to grab some shorts & socks. We did our stretching together in the driveway. I tried to help him target his really stiff areas. We started our usual warm-up walking increasing a little speed as we went just like usual. When it came our normal time to start our first jog interval I asked how he was feeling. He wanted to give it a shot. We completed 1 interval. He said the pain wasn't any worse or less but felt really great having done a run so he wanted to do another. Each interval this is the conversation we had during our short walks in between. Each interval he said he felt really great having done it. In the end, he went not just his normal target of 7 but a full 8 intervals right with me. What a trooper! I was so proud of him! I finished my last 2 intervals then rejoined him at home. We did more stretching together targeting those painful areas. I kept him on his feet moving until he really was cooled down. I just can't say enough how proud I am. Overcoming physical pain isn't as easy for younger kids, I think, because they don't have that mental strength the way adults do (or at least the way I do). It was really fun to watch him accomplish so much like that. And veeeery motivating!

Then yesterday I went for my weekly weigh-in and shot. I gained a pound. :fork: Okay. I've been walking/running for 30 minutes 4 - 5 days a week for 3 weeks. Yesterday pre-weigh-in I also did an additional 30 minutes of strength and cardio via Wii Fit which I'm adding to my daily routine. Yes, my brain knows that pound was my body building muscle which weighs more than fat. I know this. But, still, I could just :cry:. It's discouraging. And bless my sweet DH for really making a fuss when I told him I gained a pound. He swears he's not just being nice when he insists he can tell a visual difference. I think my shorts might slightly feel a little different in a good way. I'm trying to fight the frustration. I was just so hopeful to at least be the same or down by an eensy-weensy bit.

One perk to all my work is that I went to sleep earlier than usual last night. Insomnia is a life-long battle for me. Normally I can't get to sleep until midnight at the earliest. More often than not, I go to sleep at 1:30 to 2:30. Last night I was out at 10:30 even after nodding off on the sofa in the evening for 1/2 an hour which normally spells certain doom. :sohappy: Whenever I work out regularly my sleep improves. Anyone who's ever battled ongoing sleep issues can appreciate the gravity of that. Really. It's a veeeery big deal.

Today, 1 day post-depressing-weigh-in, DS13 & I got up 1/2 an hour earlier than usual and did our 2/1 run/walk. Today we were both mega sore starting out (Wii Fit will do that) but made it thru. DS even went the full 10 intervals with me for the first time. I was so jazzed. :sohappy:

I agree. Plus, my lungs start to burn at times. I would much rather run in the evenings. There is a well-lit greenway near my home, and I could run that at night. I really do hate running in the mornings even though it is cooler and less humid outside. I really just feel like I don't have the energy to do it.

Great job! :sohappy: That is awesome! Keep it up!

I am down almost 1/2 a pound for the week, which I'm ok with since I only have 6 lbs to go to reach my goal.

I think we're going to have to transition our runs to the evenings now. It's just getting so hot. This morning was pretty muggy, too. The plan is to do a 30 minute power walk tomorrow morning, Wii Fit, then do the run/walk tomorrow evening.

19 lbs. to go by September 9th. I'm crossing my fingers for the results to start showing at the scale next Wednesday. If not, I may need therapy. :lol:

disney4life2008

I am a male but many of the exercise plans that I come across are designed for women. I have lost weight overall but my problem area is my upperbody. What can I do to make my love handles/spare tire/muffin top go away? Everything else seems to get smaller but that area. Can anyone help?

TurboCaroline

I am a male but many of the exercise plans that I come across are designed for women. I have lost weight overall but my problem area is my upperbody. What can I do to make my love handles/spare tire/muffin top go away? Everything else seems to get smaller but that area. Can anyone help?

One word: P90X

I've lost 30 lbs since January and plan on losing another 25-30 the remainder of the year. I've had success using the South Beach diet.

This thread is a great idea. If anyone would like any tips or recipes please let me know. I may have some questions for all of you as well the more I read into this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom