Disney Diet Buddies...

Pooh Lover

Oh yeah, there is definitely a pre-Disney diet. Depending on how much damage I did on my spring cruise (and after) determines when the "Disney Diet" starts. It truly amazes me how much work is involved in getting it off and how incredibly fast and easy it comes back on. By the time I get to Disney, I've done without for so long that I end up giving my husband half my lunches and can't eat all those wonderful snacks I've had my eye on for months. For me, its just cutting calories and trying to limit carbs. I walk every day anyway but could probably benefit from other exercise. I guess I just spend too much time on these boards to squeeze in that treadmill or gym time. ;)

Susan Savia

We have 5+ months plus til our WDW trip and I plan to start Weight Watchers in September. We're going to Memphis, TN in August and I want to be able to chow down on BBQ...I look forward to carrying a little less 'baggage' around with me in Florida.

Pooh Lover

Think how AMAZING that Disney fountain Coke will taste when you haven't had it for 2 months! I don't drink a TON of POP (haha) but I've been trying not to drink any lately but at Disney - all bets are off

EVERYTHING tastes good after a Disney Diet! I'm thrilled for the apple juice on the flight down to WDW. And I agree, all bets are off at WDW.....it is complete and utter derailment. I'm like Templeton at the fair.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
About 2 years ago I was a size 4 at 117lbs. My last Disney trip I was about 135lbs. The day my boyfriend and I decided we're definitely going to disney this November I was 140lbs. Today I am back down to 135! Ideally I'd like to be 117 again but I don't think I could do that in about 3 months! My goal though is to lose 10 more from now! I might be able to, but I'm not trying too hard.

Congrats to everyone on working towards reaching their goals! Health is so important!!

It took me a year to get from 133 to 115, but I've been able to maintain it for over a year now. Taking the weight off slowly will pay off better in the long run. Good luck!

I always attempt to lose weight before my Florida holidays. Im going to WDW in Sept and started 'eating sensibly' in January, I have so far lost 35lbs and am now at 9st 12lbs!!! Ideally I want to lose another 5lbs. The sad thing is once I'm home I don't care and go back to being chubby!!!

I do the exact same thing! Diet like crazy to get there and then go crazy for everything and anything when I'm there. I could never watch what I eat when on holiday. I even eat when I'm not hungry if I see something I MUST have!!

sgtmgd

Has anyone gone on a diet before Disney (I mean, I get it's normal to do before vacation...haha). What are you doing to lose weight, if so?

I've lost 17 lbs so far and need about 10 more to get to my goal! ALLLLMOST there. Im soooooo flippin excited :D

More than just dieting..great job on that BTW...walking is even more important..Id at least try and walk a couple miles a day at least 5x a week a month prior to the trip...if you can increase the mileage the better you will be at Disney...(of course running will accomplish the same thing)

flipadeeflop

It took me a year to get from 133 to 115, but I've been able to maintain it for over a year now. Taking the weight off slowly will pay off better in the long run. Good luck!

Awesome! Congrats! I wouldn't mind if it took me a year, as long as it happens sooner or later!

Ariel484

I agree with Angie, that is awesome! The maintaining part is what scares me! :eek:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I'm with you, Trotsky. No diet soda, no margarine, real sugar, no low-fat anything. If I'm gonna eat something, I'm gonna eat it in its original format. That said, I don't drink soda, or any carbonated beverage, at all. And everything else in moderation, including exercise. ;)

diddy_mouse

Well, I've slacked off just a bit lately on my 30 day shred. The good news is I picked it up again today and went to Level 3. I'm happy to report it didn't kill me! I do go easy on the plyometrics because my knees are a little screwed up from dancing ballet for a number of years, all in all I did better with Level 3 than I thought. The number on the scale hasn't fluctuated too much (still at or around 155) which is a good thing given my less-consistent exercise routine and "meh" diet.

One thing that has been helping me is drinking a lot of water. I've also been adding things like spinach to my subs at Subway (love that honey oat bread!) and not snacking when I get home from class, which is REALLY hard to do!

I've got 23 days to go til Disney and I'm pretty pleased with my results to this point. Plan on kicking things up a notch in the next week. :D

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Well, I've slacked off just a bit lately on my 30 day shred. The good news is I picked it up again today and went to Level 3. I'm happy to report it didn't kill me! I do go easy on the plyometrics because my knees are a little screwed up from dancing ballet for a number of years, all in all I did better with Level 3 than I thought. The number on the scale hasn't fluctuated too much (still at or around 155) which is a good thing given my less-consistent exercise routine and "meh" diet.

One thing that has been helping me is drinking a lot of water. I've also been adding things like spinach to my subs at Subway (love that honey oat bread!) and not snacking when I get home from class, which is REALLY hard to do!

I've got 23 days to go til Disney and I'm pretty pleased with my results to this point. Plan on kicking things up a notch in the next week. :D

Level 3 of 30 day shred was my favorite, I felt like it was still a challenge but a bit easier than level 2. Are you going to move on to no more trouble zones when you're finished? I really liked that one but if you're looking for a bigger challenge I'd recommend Extreme Shed and Shred.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Here's my thoughts on Tracey Mallet Booty Barre plus arms + Abs

The total workout is 1 hour and 24 minutes.

It begins with an 8 minute warmup. The first time I did the workout I could barely get through the warm up and that had me really nervous for what was to come! I've only done the warm up a few times since because Booty Barre is usually after I've run or done insanity so I don't really feel that a warm up is necessary and it helps with time constraints to shave off that 8 minutes. So unfortunately, I can't provide much detail other than it was difficult, my legs were burning and I did start to work up a sweat.

The next section is arms (15 minutes). You have the choice of using either 3 pound or 5 pound weights. I thought since I'm at more of an advanced level that 5 pounds wouldn't be a problem so I tried to start there. I was very wrong and quickly moved down to the three pound weights. She begins by having you stand on your tiptoes, thighs squeezed together doing various upper body exercises for the shoulders, biceps and triceps. She uses lots of quick reps and pulses which really create an intense burn. Each segment repeats twice. She then moves into a plie position and works the back, chest, shoulder, biceps and even a little bit of core. The last portion of the arm workout is tricep dips. The arm section is a challenge but with the right weight or even no weight at all I think even a beginner could handle it. I feel that I'll be able to move up to 5 pound weights pretty soon.

Next up is the barre section (34 minutes). This is where the real meat of the program is. I've always known that I'm not particularly graceful or flexible but this section really hit that fact home! Tracey moves with such ease and elegance and can kick her leg to her head. If you didn't hate her after the warm up and arms section you will once you start the barre portion. To properly complete this section you need a sturdy chair and a ball. The ball shouldn't be too big (smaller than a soccer ball) and have some give to it. This section is taking a lot of practice but after about 6 or 7 times I'm starting to see improvement in my range of motion and form. I'll do my best to explain the sections but I'm not down with the ballet lingo and can't spell in english let alone french so bear with me. There is a lot of content in the 34 minutes so I know I'll miss somethings but hopefully this will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect:

You begin on your toes and do various pulses in a high plie, she adds in a passe and then some kicks to the side. As you progress you go deeper into your plie and do more pulses. The workout repeats for the other leg. After each section there is a fairly easy and short cardio segment. The first is a plank to pike. The next portion of the barre works the legs and the core (particularly the obliques) and is probably the most challenging of all. I have the most difficulty positioning myself to the chair to get the form correct. Its very much like traditional floor work for the buns and thighs but done standing and leaning toward the chair. The next cardio section involves what I would call a groiner. It would be sort of like a runners lunge but quickly switching legs. From there you move on to facing the chair and doing various squats, this is probably the easiest of the sections. The last cardio section is mountain climbers. The last barre section involves the ball. You have to squeeze the ball between your calf and thigh and do various lifts and squeezes on one leg while holding yourself stable with the chair. You also use the ball sort of like a thigh master and squeeze it between your thighs for resistance. The barre section ends with some ab work, squeezing the ball between your legs while sitting on the chair you lift your legs to your chest for about a dozen reps. I was astounded to see I burned over 250 calories in the barre section alone.

The last section is the core challenge and flexibility (23 minutes). This section seems to be very pilates and yoga based and is a fairly traditional core and flexibilty workout involving crunches, rotations, boat pose, and leg climbs. There is the addition of a weight between the knees during a large portion of the workout for an added challenge. Its very good and I can feel fatique in my abdominals before I'm finished. The flexibility section is probably less than 10 minutes and is very much yoga based, its challenging but is really a great ending to the workout.

I still think Tracey Mallet is a mean mean lady! It's a great workout though, very challenging but I don't think that its out of range for a person at a beginner/intermediate fitness level to handle with some modifications and determination. I've been breaking the workout up over three days because its so long. I'll do arms one day, barre another day, and the core and flexibility on a third day. Its too early to tell what kind of results I'll get but I enjoy the fact that its very different than what I'm used to. In the introduction she recommends doing the workout every day. I can imagine if you did the dvd everyday along with some other cardio a few times a week you would see pretty good results.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Thank you for the review, Eeyore. If you think Tracey Mallet is mean, I will probably think she is the devil incarnate. I'm glad to know that even you break up long workouts into bits, 30 minutes at a time is plenty for me, or an hour in the wintertime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom