Disney Cruise May 23-30 – Back to the Magic

Who: Dh, Me, Ds 14 and Dd 11 - Plus assorted other family members and friends – 5 cabins total!
Where: Eastern Cruise with Tortola
When: May 23-30th

This was my 4th Disney Cruise. Third in the last 9 months actually:lookaroun, so I’d like that pattern to keep up! This was the second with tons of family and friends. It’s a great vacation for a big group. Everyone can do their own thing and still meet up for dinner and other activities.

We had a great rate with a military discount. We had enough active duty military, retired military and reserve members to get everyone the discount. Yay!!:sohappy:

I'm making my way through about 1400 pictures right now so this report will have to come in segments!

Day 1 – Friday – May 22nd - Travel Day

The departure day was finally here. We booked this cruise about a year and a half ago, so I couldn’t believe it was finally time!

The kids are in school here until June 25th. Luckily their teachers were all very cooperative and this was Memorial Day week so they only missed 4 ½ days of school. I woke up crazy excited. I had been packed for a month or so, but there were little things left to do this morning. I finished just in time to pick up the kids from school at 11:00. We ran home and ate lunch. I finished up my last recorded DVR show during lunch, so it was nice to be caught up on shows before I left! It was also a great week to go TV-wise because so many shows ended in the two weeks before we left. Coming home from a vacation with tons to do, and 20 TV shows to watch is not easy!!:lol:

Dh came home for lunch to take us to the airport. He had to back out of the trip several weeks ago because we didn’t think he’d be able to get away. Luckily, he got the okay and we added him back in, but at this point our plane tickets had gone up and he wouldn’t be flying with us. It worked out well for him though, we were on United with a layover in DC and left 4 hours before him, and he was on a direct flight on Southwest which was scheduled to arrive 10 minutes after us!

We actually arrived in DC about 20 minutes early and were not looking forward to a now 4 hour layover. Blech. We decided to try the United customer service counter to see if we could catch an earlier flight. United said yes! :sohappy: There was 1 hour and 45 minutes before that flight and there was plenty of time to switch our bags. Well supposedly! We called my parents and asked them to stay at MCO and wait for us so we could ride with them to Port Canaveral. We boarded and woohoo – Orlando bound!!

Well of course our bags didn’t make it. :rolleyes: They were coming on our original flight which had been delayed 3 hours! I was irritated, but relieved I wasn’t on that flight.

My parents and I decided to all go to Downtown Disney to kill some time. I love DD. It’s a great way to start a cruise. Dad and Mom ate at Earl of Sandwich and we shopped a little. After Dh arrived at MCO, Dad and Mom dropped me off at the airport to wait for my bags with him. They took the kids with them so they could get a somewhat decent night’s sleep.

United offered to bring the bags to Port Canaveral the next day, but I was terrified they wouldn’t get there before the cruise left. I could not wear a Mickey Mouse tee shirt to formal night!!!:eek::lol:

Dh and I waited for my bags which arrived at 12:32. We got in the rental car and drove to Port Canaveral where we stayed at the Radisson at the Port. It’s a nice hotel but we didn’t get to enjoy it much. We finally got to bed around 2 am.

Next up Day 2!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 4 – Monday – May 24th – Day at Sea

Our first activity this morning was at 10:15 so we slept in! It was great.

We had reservations at Palo for brunch. Palo is the adult restaurant onboard. It’s unbelievably delicious. We had 11 adults so we were lucky enough to get the private room. Our server was Andrea from Croatia and she was wonderful. Here we are, no kids!:

CruiseDay270_filtered-1.jpg

After brunch Mom and I went to a cake and plate decorating class. It’s amazing how easy it is to make plates look so beautiful!! If only I had all the bottle of sauces they do! I’m not sure how much I can do with a bottle of Hershey’s syrup.:lol:

The kids spent most of the day in Ocean Quest and swimming. They also went to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua in the afternoon.

I’m not one to miss a meal, so in the afternoon I walked around, took some pictures, and tried some of the wonderful wraps at Goofy’s Galley.

CruiseDay278.jpg

CruiseDay291.jpg

Dh and I also went to an Adventures By Disney presentation. It completely convinced me! I’m ready to try one. We didn’t win the $100 stateroom credit they gave away, but I can’t say we were really surprised by that!:lol:

Later I ran into my brother in law up on deck 9. He was sitting next to an attractive brunette who, he later told us, told him she wished Disney had some “real” adult sections. Something like a strip club. Um. Yeah.:eek:

Before dinner we stopped to see Sorcerer Mickey and get a picture. Dinner was at Animators. I didn’t really take any pictures of the show and color change because I’ve got about 500 of them already.:D

CruiseDay281.jpg

CruiseDay283.jpg

CruiseDay288.jpg

After dinner the kids went to pin trading with the officers, and then we all went to see John Charles in the family cabaret show.

The show for the night was Twice Charmed and we thoroughly enjoyed it again.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Finally, the night had a rough end for me. :lookaroun We went to see the adult cabaret show – Heath Hyche. I had actually seen his adult show before, but I didn’t remember very much about it. Shame on me. When I got there, I didn’t see dh, but I saw my in-laws and brother-in-laws on the front row. Against my better instinct, I went and joined them. About 2 minutes before the show started I saw my dad headed to a table in the back, where I also noticed my husband, who was avoiding the front row like the plague.

Should have joined him.:eek:

Heath Hyche’s show was mainly comprised of several different character impersonations. Some you would know, like Matthew McConauhey, and some he made up. Well after a few jokes he got into his first character who made a suggestive comment to me. From that point on, I became a running joke throughout the rest of the show.

I cannot be more specific, this being a family board. :lol: It was not derogatory in any way, but it was SOOOO embarrassing. Let me just say, it was one of the most mortifying experiences of my life. It was certainly the longest 30 minutes of my life. :lol: I would have left, but I knew I would have been called out and that would have been the longest walk of my life out of that club. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t angry at him, I chose to sit in the front row, and he’s a comedian. It was the adult show, not the family show. But my entire extended family was in that room. I was just so…mortified!! That’s the only word I can think of to describe it. :eek::eek::eek::lol:

After the show, I was rattled and needed to get to our stateroom and some privacy. :lol: My sister-in-law and friend went to the late night showing of Confessions of a Shopaholic and, since I’d already seen it, I had planned on going to meet them there after the cabaret show. Why oh why, didn’t I go see the movie with them? I certainly wasn’t going then. I needed to relax so I went back to the room.

This cute little towel animal made me feel a little bit better.
CruiseDay2.jpg

HollyBelle

Loving your report, Tammy. The ship's beautiful and I can't wait to see your port pictures. I feel your pain about the comedian; I hate to be called out and would have been totally mortified, too. Oooh, and I love the pictures with Minnie Mouse; the fam looks fabulous in coordinated formalwear!

Although I must admit, I'm secretly hoping there'll be some character stalking on this cruise, as well :lookaroun :lol:! Jenn, are you with me?!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Loving your report, Tammy. The ship's beautiful and I can't wait to see your port pictures. I feel your pain about the comedian; I hate to be called out and would have been totally mortified, too. Oooh, and I love the pictures with Minnie Mouse; the fam looks fabulous in coordinated formalwear!

Although I must admit, I'm secretly hoping there'll be some character stalking on this cruise, as well :lookaroun :lol:! Jenn, are you with me?!

:lol: Thank you Holly! There is a little character stalking! In fact we stood in a huge line to see some never before seen characters!! But that's not until Wednesday night!:lookaroun

We had some great excursions this time and I took a million pictures!!

mouselvrmom

You know I'm with you, Holly! :lol: I'm feeling slightly placated from the Mickey and Minnie pictures. :D But would always love to see more! :sohappy:

HollyBelle

:lol: Thank you Holly! There is a little character stalking! In fact we stood in a huge line to see some never before seen characters!! But that's not until Wednesday night!:lookaroun

We had some great excursions this time and I took a million pictures!!

Now I really can't wait for future installments... bring on the rare characters :sohappy:!

eagles

tammy you have some great pictures there! glad the underwater camera is doing its job for you.
...you all look wonderful in your formal wear, not sure i would beable to get my boy into anything that looks like that. i guess we would have to skip that one.

the twins are just adorable.

stalking characters, umm what's is that? is that anything like stalking the yomd cm's and bench hoping? jenn, would you know anything about that?:ROFLOL:

hurry tammy, get another installment done!

dixiegirl

Oh DisneyFalcon your pics make me want to take another Disney cruise!!!
They are truly unbelieveable, from seeing the ship as you drive into the port , and even the port itself is quite spectacular, then inside the ship ..Oh you know you could go on and on about a disney cruise!

We looked into one for next year but price wise we got a two room (one having a balcony) for 7 days on RC (liberty of the seas) for a little over $ 4,000.....and thats going in April, during school vacation... Yeah Disney Well you know not even close to that...But one day, We will go on a Disney cruise again.....Hopefully this time we'll make it to castaway cay!

And DisneyFalcon your twins are so freakin adorable especilly the first pic....Those eyes!!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
tammy you have some great pictures there! glad the underwater camera is doing its job for you.
...you all look wonderful in your formal wear, not sure i would beable to get my boy into anything that looks like that. i guess we would have to skip that one.

the twins are just adorable.

stalking characters, umm what's is that? is that anything like stalking the yomd cm's and bench hoping? jenn, would you know anything about that?:ROFLOL:

hurry tammy, get another installment done!

Thanks eagles! I'll get some more done today! Now that I'm done with all my pictures it should be much quicker!

Oh DisneyFalcon your pics make me want to take another Disney cruise!!!
They are truly unbelieveable, from seeing the ship as you drive into the port , and even the port itself is quite spectacular, then inside the ship ..Oh you know you could go on and on about a disney cruise!

We looked into one for next year but price wise we got a two room (one having a balcony) for 7 days on RC (liberty of the seas) for a little over $ 4,000.....and thats going in April, during school vacation... Yeah Disney Well you know not even close to that...But one day, We will go on a Disney cruise again.....Hopefully this time we'll make it to castaway cay!

And DisneyFalcon your twins are so freakin adorable especilly the first pic....Those eyes!!!

I totally know what you mean dixiegirl, they are unbelievable.

I've found times of year that Disney is within a couple hundred dollars of RC, and others that RC beats their prices by a lot. Hopefully you'll find a good deal again one day. You have GOT to go to Castaway Cay. We missed it our first cruise as well. Now that we've made it a few times, it is truly a highlight of the cruise!

Oh, and not my twins!! I love them like they are, but they are the friends of our who went with us. My kiddos are 11 and 14 now.:cry:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Day 5 – Tuesday – May 26th – Tortola

Our day had an early start when at 2:00 in the morning, I heard my 11 year old calling out to her niece from the top bunk. I told her she was sleeping and go back to sleep. Then I realized I was hearing a lot of movement from up there.

I’ve had several people ask if kids can fall out of the top bunk, and let me tell you, with the railing, it’s very hard to do. Climbing out of the top bunk however is not! :lol: I don’t know how she did it but she climbed out of the top part of the bed, tore the divider curtain down on her way down, and managed to miss the end table, edge of the bed, and coffee table. We heard a giant crash and then silence. Scared me to death. The people below us must have jumped too. She was completely fine, but totally confused. We made her sit in our bed and talk to us for a few minutes before she went back to sleep. Phew!

We decided to sleep in and not get off the ship until 10:00. I was up early, and after some room service, I went up on deck to take pictures of the ship and Tortola.

CruiseTortola058.jpg

CruiseTortola056.jpg

CruiseTortola070.jpg

CruiseTortola055.jpg

CruiseTortola051.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom