Disney Cruise May 23-30 – Back to the Magic

Who: Dh, Me, Ds 14 and Dd 11 - Plus assorted other family members and friends – 5 cabins total!
Where: Eastern Cruise with Tortola
When: May 23-30th

This was my 4th Disney Cruise. Third in the last 9 months actually:lookaroun, so I’d like that pattern to keep up! This was the second with tons of family and friends. It’s a great vacation for a big group. Everyone can do their own thing and still meet up for dinner and other activities.

We had a great rate with a military discount. We had enough active duty military, retired military and reserve members to get everyone the discount. Yay!!:sohappy:

I'm making my way through about 1400 pictures right now so this report will have to come in segments!

Day 1 – Friday – May 22nd - Travel Day

The departure day was finally here. We booked this cruise about a year and a half ago, so I couldn’t believe it was finally time!

The kids are in school here until June 25th. Luckily their teachers were all very cooperative and this was Memorial Day week so they only missed 4 ½ days of school. I woke up crazy excited. I had been packed for a month or so, but there were little things left to do this morning. I finished just in time to pick up the kids from school at 11:00. We ran home and ate lunch. I finished up my last recorded DVR show during lunch, so it was nice to be caught up on shows before I left! It was also a great week to go TV-wise because so many shows ended in the two weeks before we left. Coming home from a vacation with tons to do, and 20 TV shows to watch is not easy!!:lol:

Dh came home for lunch to take us to the airport. He had to back out of the trip several weeks ago because we didn’t think he’d be able to get away. Luckily, he got the okay and we added him back in, but at this point our plane tickets had gone up and he wouldn’t be flying with us. It worked out well for him though, we were on United with a layover in DC and left 4 hours before him, and he was on a direct flight on Southwest which was scheduled to arrive 10 minutes after us!

We actually arrived in DC about 20 minutes early and were not looking forward to a now 4 hour layover. Blech. We decided to try the United customer service counter to see if we could catch an earlier flight. United said yes! :sohappy: There was 1 hour and 45 minutes before that flight and there was plenty of time to switch our bags. Well supposedly! We called my parents and asked them to stay at MCO and wait for us so we could ride with them to Port Canaveral. We boarded and woohoo – Orlando bound!!

Well of course our bags didn’t make it. :rolleyes: They were coming on our original flight which had been delayed 3 hours! I was irritated, but relieved I wasn’t on that flight.

My parents and I decided to all go to Downtown Disney to kill some time. I love DD. It’s a great way to start a cruise. Dad and Mom ate at Earl of Sandwich and we shopped a little. After Dh arrived at MCO, Dad and Mom dropped me off at the airport to wait for my bags with him. They took the kids with them so they could get a somewhat decent night’s sleep.

United offered to bring the bags to Port Canaveral the next day, but I was terrified they wouldn’t get there before the cruise left. I could not wear a Mickey Mouse tee shirt to formal night!!!:eek::lol:

Dh and I waited for my bags which arrived at 12:32. We got in the rental car and drove to Port Canaveral where we stayed at the Radisson at the Port. It’s a nice hotel but we didn’t get to enjoy it much. We finally got to bed around 2 am.

Next up Day 2!

mouselvrmom

I finally got to see the start of your trip report!

Fantastic pictures! I love them all! Did you pretty much keep your rented lens on the entire time? I think my favorite picture is one of the first ones of one of the twins. The blurrred blue of the background perfectly matches the blue of his eyes!

I hope the weather got better for you as the trip went on! :D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I finally got to see the start of your trip report!

Fantastic pictures! I love them all! Did you pretty much keep your rented lens on the entire time? I think my favorite picture is one of the first ones of one of the twins. The blurrred blue of the background perfectly matches the blue of his eyes!

I hope the weather got better for you as the trip went on! :D

Hi Jenn! I took another lens and the rented one never left the camera! The weather got much better for the most part. Not so much the last day though.:( More to come on that later!

DizneyPryncess

Your trip report is wonderful!! This is the first Disney Cruise trip report I've ever read, and it's making me want to really really go on one!! I'm sitting here showing my DH your pictures & begging him to take me. :)

Thanks for the fabulous report & pictures!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Your trip report is wonderful!! This is the first Disney Cruise trip report I've ever read, and it's making me want to really really go on one!! I'm sitting here showing my DH your pictures & begging him to take me. :)

Thanks for the fabulous report & pictures!

Thanks DizneyPryncess!! I hope it works!:)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay! I’m almost done with all my pictures. Yay!

Okay back to the report – Formal night!

If you don’t want to dress up, there are lots of other dining options. Most of my family enjoys it – so we dress up! Much to the disappointment of ds.:lol:

We got ready early enough to go have some pictures made. Here we are – drum roll please…

CruiseDay236_filtered.jpg

Here's a couple we bought from Disney. I found out this cruise that when you buy your pic, you can get a copyright release. Now I can post them without feeling guilty!:)

Formal_Night2.jpg

Now they don’t get much cuter then these two. You should have seen how many people in line were taking their pictures!

CruiseDay238_filtered.jpg

CruiseDay245_filtered.jpg

This is dd at dinner:

Ally_Formal_Night.jpg

The twins didn't make it through dinner:

CruiseDay261_filtered.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Here’s my dessert in honor of tonight’s show - The Golden Mickey’s!

CruiseDay263.jpg

Before the Golden Mickey’s and after dinner we went to the family cabaret show. It was Heath Hyche again. He was very funny, everyone liked him. My inlaws also found out he’s an Auburn grad, so they loved him. I still liked him at this point. It wasn’t until the next night that he became very unpopular with me.:lookaroun

Right before the Golden Mickey’s they interview kids on the red carpet. They show them to on the big screen to everyone in the theater. My dd missed it the first cruise, forgot about it the second, so this time she was planning it all day. We got her there in plenty of time and she and her cousin made it on the big screen. They were very cute.

CruiseDay268_filtered.jpg

We decided it was a good night for a swim so we went changed and swam with the kids and watched the game. We got to try out my new underwater camera. Not too bad!

DolphinsTortola003.jpg

Afterwards we got dressed and went to the adult cabaret show – John Charles. He was hysterical. It was his best show by far.

Then it was bed time! Sleeping on the cruise is wonderful. The bed is so comfortable and the gentle motion just rocks you to sleep.

mouselvrmom

Fabulous, Tammy!

Great pictures of formal night! The twins are adorable, although one looks like he wanted to escape Minnie's clutches! :lol:

And I love Ally on the big screen! That is a wonderful picture!

Nice underwater shot too. Did you have to go in with your eyes open to take it? I don't think I could do that. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Fabulous, Tammy!

Great pictures of formal night! The twins are adorable, although one looks like he wanted to escape Minnie's clutches! :lol:

And I love Ally on the big screen! That is a wonderful picture!

Nice underwater shot too. Did you have to go in with your eyes open to take it? I don't think I could do that. :lol:

Aren't they so cute in their little tuxes? They had a love hate relationship with the characters. Sometimes they loved them - sometimes not so much!!:lol:

The kids took all of those underwater. I'm with you, I won't open my eyes either. :lol: I did take several while we were snorkeling since I was wearing a mask.:)

mouselvrmom

Aren't they so cute in their little tuxes? They had a love hate relationship with the characters. Sometimes they loved them - sometimes not so much!!:lol:

The kids took all of those underwater. I'm with you, I won't open my eyes either. :lol: I did take several while we were snorkeling since I was wearing a mask.:)

That's too funny that you would say that. While I was looking at that picture, I was already planning in my head that if I got an underwater camera and took some pictures like that I would need to wear goggles. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
That's too funny that you would say that. While I was looking at that picture, I was already planning in my head that if I got an underwater camera and took some pictures like that I would need to wear goggles. :lol:

You'll see some better pictures from it in the daylight. It was fun and the kids had a great time with it.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Do you need to clean it after it's underwater in the cholorine water or salt water?

Not chlorine, but after it's been in salt water they recommend you soak it in fresh water. Stephen kept asking me why my camera was in a sink full of water in the bathroom.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom