Disco Yeti Forever

RandySavage

^^ I don't think Rohde is infallible, but I really like a lot of the work he's responsible for in AK (and I like his enthusiasm). Not sure where the blame lies with the Yeti - last I heard it was a contractor software error, but not sure if that's accurate.

The major blunder in AK's design was the Wildlife Express & Conservation Station - uncompelling ride & destination, IMO. Those funds ought to have been directed toward a people-eating, family ride (on the scale of PotC or HM) as I think we agree this is what AK has needed more of from the outset.

RSoxNo1

I have a question for the engineers out there. Is it possible to modify the track in the Yeti projection room so that it would vibrate or tilt to enhance this "Yeti Encounter"? IMO, a way for Disney to defend whatever is needed for a ride closure to fix the actual Yeti would be an easier sell to the public if it included other enhancements to the ride.

FERRARA12

Does the Yeti move at all or is it completely static?

Some of the posts I've read have indicated that it was going to be / is in a B+ mode where the Yeti moved but not like it did when it was in A mode.

As for the argument about the Yeti's placement and the impact it had when in A mode, I fall somewhere in between. The A mode Yeti was very cool but the moment was a bit too fleeting in my opinion. I think it works as a climax but I think a short ending scene of some kind after the Yeti encounter would make the whole experience seem more complete.

SleepingMonk

I have a question for the engineers out there. Is it possible to modify the track in the Yeti projection room so that it would vibrate or tilt to enhance this "Yeti Encounter"? IMO, a way for Disney to defend whatever is needed for a ride closure to fix the actual Yeti would be an easier sell to the public if it included other enhancements to the ride.

Move the seat, not the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJCD1-85Fnk&feature=player_embedded

EpcotFanForever

It would be far simpler (and probably just as effective in a dark room) to make the projection shake with low rumbling sound to match. And yes, I am an engineer.

Alektronic

Actually, WDI does have quite a bit of say over the attractions while they are operating*, and they are always around checking on show (usually the larger/more popular attractions and the parks in general). In terms of operations and general upkeep, yeah, that's out of their hands. If something needs changed from what was originally used/in the attraction, though, WDI doesn't let anyone else touch it (from what I understand).

Sometimes I wish they would make it over to Stitch, because I would like to think they would burn it to the ground then and there. :drevil:

*Just want to clarify what I mean. From my understanding, they can't halt operations or anything like that. They do, however, retain creative control, and any deviation from the original "show" down to the tiniest detail that most probably wouldn't even notice likely goes through them. Say, for example, operations wanted to make it easier for guests in wheelchairs at Stitch to know they're supposed to go through the middle door to the second show room by adding a handicapped symbol somewhere. Think they could just slap up a decal on a door or the floor? Nope, no changes to the attraction unless its through WDI, even if its something like that. Again, that is my understanding from some personal conversations, so any or all of that could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's decently accurate.

I think you are getting WDI confused with Ride and Show Engineering. WDI is in control of the project phase but once it gets turned over to WDW operations, then WDW Ride and Show Engineering is responsible for all the changes to existing attractions.

SQS (Show Quality Standards) is responsible for all the show reviews and then the reviews are forwarded to each maintenance dept and then that maitenance dept determines if they want to fix it or not. SQS never follows up on anything just notes it again on the next show review.

maxairmike

I think you are getting WDI confused with Ride and Show Engineering. WDI is in control of the project phase but once it gets turned over to WDW operations, then WDW Ride and Show Engineering is responsible for all the changes to existing attractions.

SQS (Show Quality Standards) is responsible for all the show reviews and then the reviews are forwarded to each maintenance dept and then that maitenance dept determines if they want to fix it or not. SQS never follows up on anything just notes it again on the next show review.

Ahhh...see, I had never heard of that department(s), or it may have not been very well separated from WDI in the explanations. I do know Imagineers are often roaming the parks, watching the Show, and noting issues. Some of the overlap makes things confusing when you're trying to get the whole picture.

And then there was that huge group of them at DHS for a day or two, almost seemed like a WDI convention. :lol: :animwink:

AEfx

^^ I don't think Rohde is infallible, but I really like a lot of the work he's responsible for in AK (and I like his enthusiasm). Not sure where the blame lies with the Yeti - last I heard it was a contractor software error, but not sure if that's accurate.

Oh, the Rohde comment totally wasn't directed to you in particular, LOL. Sorry to have implied that. I don't really dislike the guy, but I guess I naturally shy away from people and things that feel just so universally praised when I personally can't see what the fuss is about when you look at it on a case by case basis. I've always felt his personality, on the surface anti-establishment, is probably his biggest asset in his advancement both in fandom as well as in the company. But that's a whole other post. ;)

As to the Yeti, I believe (though someone who knows will have to chime in) that while no one knows for sure, that it's not a structural problem, it's a lube problem, and then it wasn't? I honestly can't keep up, haha.

But Yeti aside, I think that there are other real flaws with Everest, too. They spent way too much time, money, and effort (all interbred) on the queue in my opinion. Many people disagree. I mean, they made a whole television special out of Rhode and crew trekking through the jungles (with full camera crew in tow) searching for the perfect rusted piece of junk to make it "authentic". I think this was misguided, because the indoor portions of the ride felt (and still feel) incomplete, especially with the few token effects aren't running properly.

When Everest was first announced it was originally touted to have some type of dark-ride elements, but it really doesn't aside from our buddy DY. One projection effect, a couple of sound effects, and places where you can make out the steel beams. Even with the 2-second centerpiece, and forgetting about it's placement in the ride, it still was lackluster in terms of "dark ride elements" and the majority of the indoor portion is just "in the dark" (to hide the steel beams).

Instead of spending millions on the queue, it would have been nice if the ride itself had gotten some story. There is a progression, but there really is no story. I'd be willing to lay down money that if you went and fabricated a similar queue, but didn't run around the world chasing after every last bit of junk you could find and shipping it back to Orlando, and painstakingly labor over it, you could impress 98% of people just the same for 10% of the cost.

Some people find that part of the attraction amazing, some even think it's the best part. That's so sad to me. I'm not anti-queue in the least, but I find myself taking that position sometimes around here because I'm a bit right of center on that issue. Queues are great - they are what help separate WDW from everywhere else (even a lot of Disneyland).

But sometimes, like I feel with how people speak about Rhode, I think people put TOO much emphasis on it. It's important, but I don't believe the common refrain that it's "50/50" to the attraction, which you hear quite often. I'd go 25%...maybe 30%? In extreme cases, 35%? Everest feels like 60% of the effort in terms of creative resources.

Of course that's Monday morning Imagineering, though. To be honest, I'm just bummed because...in spite of the terrible middle sequences that make Rock'nRollercoaster look like theme park Shakespeare, The Mummy (in Orlando, not the God-awful joke the USH version is, not even worth the walk through the empty queue). The dark ride sequences are well placed and fun. I know that Everest is an outdoor coaster, Mummy is fully a dark ride - I'm not making that leap. But if they had put *ONE* scene the quality of, say, the first tomb in the Mummy, or even the burning false ending? In addition to the Yeti? Would be my new favorite ride. And I didn't even ride it on my last trip.

The major blunder in AK's design was the Wildlife Express & Conservation Station - uncompelling ride & destination, IMO. Those funds ought to have been directed toward a people-eating, family ride (on the scale of PotC or HM) as I think we agree this is what AK has needed more of from the outset.

Absolutely. That's what makes the park feel kind of hollow to me. It has all the elements that make a great - even AMAZING park. Just what is already there, perfectly the way it is, in several categories it could compete for the "Best of Orlando" and perhaps of the US parks. It could be our TDS.

But it's because, like DCA, by the time they built AK they were scared crapless of another EuroDisney. So they majorly under invested and thought by building a shell and filling in meat only when they had to (and, of course it goes without saying that we got the better end of the stick on just about all accounts as DCA's shell is probably the worst a US park had since when MGM opened once you got past Hollywood Blvd., and AK's is again arguably the best).

I think most people, even those that love it now, would love a pretty major expansion. People argue about *what*, and you mention a few dead projects and some people grow fangs at just the mention of the name out of bitter disapointment. One E-ticket thrill ride (Test Track-level thrills, at least), one E-ticket dark ride (yes, the jungle is beautiful - but show us other animals in places we can't see outdoors in the Orlando sun besides Dinosaurs!), and a couple of smaller but hopefully largely INDOOR experiences.

I don't think we need a billion like DCA, but I think we'd do real well with $500m. If we limit Rhode to no more than $100M of the total project budget. ;)

AEfx

:sohappy:

Not that I think that will be terribly much solace for families that don't know before they walk up to it, but I'm all for more enhancements like this and the suggestion you mentioned regarding our Disco buddy.

They can always leave the queue open with a big sign saying you can't actually ride but you can walk through. :) Then we'll know for sure how many people think the queue was the best part. :D

AEfx

Some of the posts I've read have indicated that it was going to be / is in a B+ mode where the Yeti moved but not like it did when it was in A mode.

I *think* that idea was dropped and we are back to, "no current action". Am I correct?

RSoxNo1

I would assume these types of chairs would add too much weight to the trains.

It would be far simpler (and probably just as effective in a dark room) to make the projection shake with low rumbling sound to match. And yes, I am an engineer.

It would definitely be easier, but I don't see it being more effective. I'm thinking utilizing some of the technology found in a tilt coaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOd3mAnrsBM

Look at about 34 seconds, and again at 2:03. It doesn't have to have he full 90 degree rotation but if the track can be on a see-saw type pivot it seems that would be a much more intense "Yeti Encounter"

SleepingMonk

Audio transducers are cheap, light, easily mounted, long life, etc...

You're right though, a full piston system as shown in the vid might be overkill for a coaster.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for.

So, HP2. Giant dragon. Shoots giant fireballs.

Will this be the kick in the pants Disney needs to fix the Yeti?

Will it be an AA or stationary?
I predict that dragon takes away from the atmosphere, ultimately. Why wouldn't it fly away? Why wouldn't everyone be running scared out of Diagon Alley?

I don't think there will be any street entertainment to bother running from the dragon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom