Disco Yeti Forever

righttrack

Sometimes technology and design just don't catch up with dreams. I would like to for once see this element, as it was intended, but yes, a long closure and some major redesign and reinforcement. Given the problems they are having, I'm guessing that the Yeti needs to lose some weight to make the movement possible without being in jeopardy of it falling off it's bindings. Hopefully in a hangar somewhere, they are working on a redesigned Yeti that can pull this off. Then they just put it on refurb after something new and big opens. That's the only way this thing is going to get fixed. It's still a great ride, and one of the best stories they have told in a very long time, if not ever.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
:shrug:
Try a few feet...

Trust me, if they ever get this thing fixed and you were able to ride it back-to-back in B mode first and then A mode...you will have a completely different intimate experience with that beast. His motion is worth a 6 month closure of E:E. But I know why TDO won't close it. What I wish they would do though is streamline another expansion to DAK so they can increase capacity at the park and have something else to offer guests while E:E is closed.

My thoughts, based on things that have been said repeatedly by folk on here.

EE is one of (if not THE) major draws to DAK.

Using a completly uneducated guess :lookaroun, probably something like 99% of guests (10 million guests a year, means about 990000 people, not counting for repeated visits) don't know the Yeti is supposed to move, or don't notice that it didn't move. Personally, I knew it was supposed to move, but it was not until joining this forum did I put 2 and 2 together and said "You know, come to think about it, it didn't move when I rode it, it just had the strobe light".

Using the old school grading scale for comparison, for those above, they probably would rate the ride in something like a A- to an A. If the Yeti moved, it might move to an A to A+ range for them.

That means that there are about 10000 people who know that the Yeti was supposed to move, and lets say for simplicity sake that every single one of them has seen it in non-disco mode and think that the ride is worse because of the stationary Yeti. For those folks, maybe it takes an A ride and moves it down one whole grade to a B. So, the range would be B- to a B for those 10k people. If fixed, it would jump it a grade or so, maybe again up to an A+.

Now, would it make sense using those terms to bring a major attraction down for an extended period of time, drawing less people to the park (definition of an E Ticket), and making a less enjoyable experience for those that do come? To move 990000 people's enjoyment about 1/2 a grade, and 10000 people's enjoyment about 1 to 1.5 grades?

Personally, if I'm running that business, it's a project that would be on my priority list of things that should be done at some point, but I'd rather not risk angering the 990000 people that might be upset at the ride closure to make the 10000 people happy who still have an enjoyable ride on EE, just not AS good.

I know I'm way over simplifying things here (things left out: not all 990k visitors ride, or would want to ride EE; repeat visitors who would be more knowledgable as is; having the risk of alienating your largest supporters), and you could use the above for an argument to say that they should never close major attractions for refurb unless the ride system itself is broken, but with DAK being major attraction light at the moment, it makes the capacity issue a much larger consideration than say Space Mountain, at a park that can swallow the loss of capacity easier.

Just my thoughts. I've been wrong from time to time. :lol:

MEyeSeeKayEY

If you want to see a quick glimpse of the Yeti in "A Mode", click on the link to my YouTube page in my signature and watch the Expedition Everest video that I recorded from February 2006...

doppelv

Using a completly uneducated guess :lookaroun, probably something like 99% of guests (10 million guests a year, means about 990000 people, not counting for repeated visits) don't know the Yeti is supposed to move, or don't notice that it didn't move.

Normally I would agree with this, but the only problem I have is a concern expressed by an earlier post. Every piece of marketing made surrounding E:E, including Travel Channel specials, national commercials, internal resort TV, and countless others have shown E:E to feature a mammoth swiping yeti. The way E:E has been presented to the public, you would think that the roller coaster aspect is merely a sideshow to the real attraction, the mammoth swiping Yeti. Funny enough, the queue builds up that anticipation as well.

As far as I'm concerned, Disney has an obligation to make sure that the product they deliver is the product they are advertising. Imagine if the drop sequence on Tower of Terror didn't work; after going through the show scenes, the ride merely lowered itself back down to unload. Do you think people might be a bit perturbed? Sure, the ads show a bit of the lobby scenery and maybe a ghost effect or two, but the drop is the draw.

Granted, E:E is also a roller coaster, so I concede that there are plenty of people who are not aware of the Yeti's true nature. Still, Disney, like any company, needs to be aware that when they advertise a feature to the public, and if that public purchases admission in good faith based upon the advertisement, that company needs to deliver or offer compensation.

I have no problem with trying something risky in the parks; in this case, building an AA that may or may not be an engineering nightmare, but if that is the case, Disney should not promise an unattainable "wienie" to the paying audience. If they were so uncertain about the nature of the Yeti, they should have restricted its use in any published materials to glowing eyes, and the promise of a thrilling surprise! As they largely did not, they need to put more effort into finding a viable solution to Disco Yeti.

raiden

My family will not return to AK until the yeti is fixed and expansion is built. Also we will not purchase park hopper tickets either.

tikiman

I said this months ago after a conversation with a very senior Imagineering executive and I was labeled a troll. I hope you fare better.

I was told the same thing from a friend at Imagineering. They decided it was too difficult and expensive to ever fix it.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Normally I would agree with this, but the only problem I have is a concern expressed by an earlier post. Every piece of marketing made surrounding E:E, including Travel Channel specials, national commercials, internal resort TV, and countless others have shown E:E to feature a mammoth swiping yeti. The way E:E has been presented to the public, you would think that the roller coaster aspect is merely a sideshow to the real attraction, the mammoth swiping Yeti. Funny enough, the queue builds up that anticipation as well.

Question, and I am not trying to be snide or snotty, I really do not know.

I know that the Disney internal resort TV does have the Yeti in full on A mode, I seem to remember that the TV ads for these had not changed in years (at least in my last few trips).

How much new advertising material has been created and actively distributed with the full-swinging beast?

I remember that the only thing I'd ever seen on the full A mode Yeti was years ago on an old Travel Channel special produced many years ago, probably right around the opening of the ride itself. That special has probably played in reruns, but I'd imagine that the Travel Channel owns that now and mainly has rights to show it whenever it wants (heck, they probably dont even know about A vs. B mode on the Yeti anyway). I don't remember other advertisements in recent memory showing the Yeti. I know that they advertise differently in different markets, so potentially they are not running Animal Kingdom specific ads where I live, just the big national ads.

Again, I'm not saying that I disagree with you, or that they have not been false advertising, just that I dont remember it, so I wanted to know how much is really out there.

SleepingMonk

I was told the same thing from a friend at Imagineering. They decided it was too difficult and expensive to ever fix it.

If that's the case, and they care even an ounce for "show", then they should take a torch to the beast and cut him out in pieces.

Replace the big loser with a static display yeti that is 4.5 feet closer to the train like the original would be at full stretch.

Someone should have been fired over this issue, perhaps several someones.

awilliams4

Start at the 5 minute mark here and you'll see the Yeti's intended range of motion....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7EkgChz_qg&feature=related

And of course you'll hear all the imagineers jinx themselves ala "the unsinkable Titanic"....

There are a couple of Imagineer names showing on this link. Randy Hill for one. Was tempted to drop him a note and ask one of them if there is truly an intent to fix this one day after it goes down for its first major rehab. I of course would not expect a response but it seems that we could pepper these folks with questions if we wanted to. Did a search on Randy Hill and Disney and he wasn't hard to find.

RSoxNo1

Exactly. After a new E-Ticket or two, EE won't have the pressure to stay open that it does right now. To be honest, AK's kind of due for an E-Ticket unless Disney's trying to go a full decade without one. I know MK can do that but compare MK's attraction count to AK's. It's not even close.

Something that would help AK in terms of capacity would be to add smaller rides in Camp Minnie-Mickey. Doing that and an E-Ticket somewhere would probably be enough to close EE and fix the Yeti. Albeit, AK doesn't really need kiddie rides since the animal exhibits make up for their absence.

Everest and Nemo opened in the same year, and since then there have been no additions to the park outside of the Wild Africa Trek which is a premium experience. It doesn't just need a new E-Ticket, it needs lesser ticketed attractions as well.

Alektronic

The common knowledge is that there is no common knowledge. No one here really knows exactly what is wrong with the Yeti, and the people who would be in the know on the subject certainly aren't speaking about it with any degree of transparency.

I've heard everything from foundation to internal lubrication as to why the yeti doesn't work and why they haven't fixed it yet.

The truth is, we probably won't know when he's going to be fixed until that time comes where he potentially already is.

There are plenty of people who know what is exactly wrong the Yeti, but how many people in many Disney fan sites really know? I have seen some posts on here by people who report accurate information and then there is plenty of people who speculate and guess what is wrong and then you get some trolls who say they know everything and put out phony info so that it just confuses normal people, so the hard part is: Who do you believe?

ifyoucandream

I agree with all of you guys. There is definitely SOMEBODY in the Disney Imagineering think tank who is aware that there are two kinds of tourists, fanatic veterans who know how things should be, and the uninformed, average tourist.

But for some who don't really see going on an animal safari or seeing an animal exhibit and are seeking more of an ride/attraction experience, EE is a must see. I think Disney is afraid of losing that type of tourist if they opt to shut EE down to fix/replace the Yeti (or for any period of time, for that matter).

RunnerEd

Original Poster
There are a couple of Imagineer names showing on this link. Randy Hill for one. Was tempted to drop him a note and ask one of them if there is truly an intent to fix this one day after it goes down for its first major rehab. I of course would not expect a response but it seems that we could pepper these folks with questions if we wanted to. Did a search on Randy Hill and Disney and he wasn't hard to find.

I love the idea of politely "storming the Imagineering Castle" and just asking if it's ever going to be fixed or not. I think letting those guys know that a) we notice, and b) that we care might have some impact.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I love the idea of politely "storming the Imagineering Castle" and just asking if it's ever going to be fixed or not. I think letting those guys know that a) we notice, and b) that we care might have some impact.

I just think that the Imagineers who worked on this thing already feel terrible that it is not functioning, and most likely they have tried to come up with ways to fix it. It's the suits with the purse strings that you need to try and convince. Not knowing any Imagineers personally, I can't vouch for that, but I think that any project that they work on probably becomes "like a child" to them to certain respects, and they don't want to see it neglected. I'd be willing to bet that they are not the ones holding this back from being fixed.

If there were dollars that could be proved that fixing the Yeti would bring in more money than it cost them to close it, lose capacity and drawing power that it has now as is, plus the price of repairs, the suits would do it. That is about the only way it's happening in my (very uninformed) mind though.

Alektronic

I'm not sure everyone knows how WDI works. They are basically contractors which do the design and contract most of the work out. They are project managers which do a job which Disney provides the budget. Like Everest, WDI doesn't have any responsibility for that attraction once they turn it over to Operations. If they want WDI to fix the Yeti, then TDO needs to provide the budget and the funding to allow WDI to re-engineer it or properly repair it.

DAK Operations and Maintenance(actually Engineering Services) are responsible for the operation and upkeep of the attraction which includes the show and the ride. So if DAK wants to repair it, then they will have to come up with the money. But right now, the focus is on Primeval Whirl and that is where most of the budget is going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom