Disco Yeti Forever

Scuttle

Everest and Nemo opened in the same year, and since then there have been no additions to the park outside of the Wild Africa Trek which is a premium experience. It doesn't just need a new E-Ticket, it needs lesser ticketed attractions as well.

It needs a solid E ticket and a C or D in the camp minnie mickey section. It would be perfect. You would have the big E tickets spread out evenly in each land. Im already very fond of AK, but if AK got a solid E and a nice C or D dark ride I would have to say AK would be my favorite park of them all. I hope Igor realized this on his visit!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This confirmed for me two things - one, that the average Disney fan cannot construct a decent sentence to save their lives, and two, that the reason it's sat broken for five years is because Disney knows that most people don't seem to give a crap and even when it was running it didn't seem to matter much anyway.

I dont think it's Disney fans really, the average Facebook person can't construct a sentence. Check the comments in pretty much any area.
--Bands ("U Rock SO HARD, when R U coming to (insert city) again?")
--TV Shows ("OMG Best Show In Histrey, sooooooo awesome")
--Facebook causes ("U R So Right, bumblebees do need bathtubs and we should all repost this 100 times a day so that we R all aware!!!!!!!!!!!!")

The art of conversation is totally lost, and it's not just Disney fans. Of course, I don't stand on my high horse either. There is a reason I was not an English major in college. I don't write so good either! :lol:

On point though, it's exactly why they dont fix it. No reason outside of a handful of obsessive fans (like us) who notice, but will not stop giving them our money anyway.

bstiles

You have to believe in your product. If the buyers not aware why would the seller bring the problem to the buyers attention.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I really don't care whether the Yeti moves or not. I've seen him in A mode and B mode and somehow have miraculously managed to have a great time riding EE either way. The ride itself is the highlight to me, not whether it moves or not.
You`re missing the point. It`s attitudes like this that makes the company they can leave broken things broken.

EpcotFanForever

There is a news item out that says there will be a Disney movie on the Matterhorn focusing on the Yeti. I guess they could not use EE, or it would just be a photograph.

InLikeFlynn

I've ridden EE dozens of times, and never seen the Yeti move. And even though I know where he is (and never close my eyes!) I find it hard to even spot him because it is so dark and the ride goes by that area so fast....I wonder how many guests never even know the damn thing is there. It took several rides of me pointing it out to my son before he could see it.

I would *love* to see it in full motion one day...I bet it really did make the ride amazing. But the way Disney cheaps out on everything...I doubt that will ever happen.
Watching the youtube video of how it was made and them showing the animators left me confused...was Yeti designed to have someone "controlling" him all day during the rides? Or was he programmed so that you could push a button and go? My guess is that if he required another warm bodied person to operate him, he won't ever be back because that's another paycheck they would have to write.

Lee

Adventurer
I've ridden EE dozens of times, and never seen the Yeti move. And even though I know where he is (and never close my eyes!) I find it hard to even spot him because it is so dark and the ride goes by that area so fast....I wonder how many guests never even know the damn thing is there. It took several rides of me pointing it out to my son before he could see it.

I would *love* to see it in full motion one day...I bet it really did make the ride amazing. But the way Disney cheaps out on everything...I doubt that will ever happen.
Watching the youtube video of how it was made and them showing the animators left me confused...was Yeti designed to have someone "controlling" him all day during the rides? Or was he programmed so that you could push a button and go? My guess is that if he required another warm bodied person to operate him, he won't ever be back because that's another paycheck they would have to write.

When he is in A mode, he isn't hard to spot at all. You really can't miss him.

He did not require any operation at all. Like all AAs, once he is turned on, he cycles through his programming without any human assistance.

RandySavage

most people STILL wouldn't notice because of the awful placement.

You have fans here who will argue that isn't the case to the death, but it's true.

It's in a place where your car is going so fast, and as it's a roller coaster many people have their eyes closed at a point like that. Even with eyes open, you had to know where to look to really see him.

The collective experiences among my family, friends and me when we experienced the attraction in A-mode (only way I've ever experienced it) was the opposite of what you've described. So as much you may believe it is, your opinion (that the swiping Yeti was too difficult to see and not a highlight of the original attraction) is far from a "true", universal fact.

A little humility in presenting your arguments would go a long way.

Skipper Dan

If you cared to read the post that I had quoted, I was writing in response to a poster who's main point was that a large majority of people would know the difference. I agree that there's a quality difference. I highly disagree that "so many people" notice.

:wave:

I know buddy, I wasn't saying anything against you! Promise. I was just more or less adding to your statement. :king:

RunnerEd

Original Poster
WDI knows of the coined phrase "Disco Yeti" and the website associated with it. That being said I can't say I know of any plans to either fix it or start making Disco Yeti merchandise. :lol:

Raven, what is the general attitude within WDI about Disco Yeti? I would hope it would be one of embarrassment. It could be be that they are in a "keep moving forward" mode and rarely think about it.

djkidkaz

I'm sure the yeti will be fixed whenever they start working on AK again. Rohde hasn't been around since he's been busy with Hawaii! And obviously none of the AK has gotten attention. I'd be more worried if they had been plussing the park all this time and ignoring it but nothing has gotten love. If I was a betting man, I'd bet he returns to full A mode in the coming years whenever we hear what the future of AK is.

I think disney should bring out a dancing yeti in disco gear at D23, shoot him and declare that disco yeti is no more and that they are fixing him. He has become quite a staple of the Disney fan community and most D23 members are well aware of it's problems.

Jakester

The reason they havent gotten it returned to A mode is that they cant risk closing their star attraction. If they have a new E-Ticket or more things that can handle the lost crowd from everest and still draw people to the park, then i see a lenghty refurb happening

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
What about bugs life and dinosaur? I must say, the only problem I saw last time I went on Its tough to be a bug was that one of flik's AA eyes wasn't working and was closed the whole time. On Dinosaur, after half way through the ride, it kept stopping every 10 seconds and the affects would stop and no audio and was really... creepy... :lookaroun A.K. needs to be fixed up, all three of those attractions are like the major ones. I might also want to say that Kilimanjaro Safaris needs some more comfortable seating and less bumpy roads. :wave:

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

AEfx

The collective experiences among my family, friends and me when we experienced the attraction in A-mode (only way I've ever experienced it) was the opposite of what you've described. So as much you may believe it is, your opinion (that the swiping Yeti was too difficult to see and not a highlight of the original attraction) is far from a "true", universal fact.

A little humility in presenting your arguments would go a long way.

Gee, thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you guys found it the opposite. That's great. Notice I didn't say "everyone who ever has ridden it".

I'm sorry I don't pepper my posts with fluff - I say what I feel, what I've experienced, and what I believe. Just like any other poster. But I don't feel the need to qualify every statement with, "In my opinion" or, "I believe". It's redundant, I'd be doing it in every sentence, and it's quite obvious. /shrug

This could have been a much more impressive ride than it is. It's true people love the thing - as I posted above, you should go read the Facebook comments they got the other morning, people think it's the greatest ride at WDW. But even with the Yeti working, I believe the ride had several design flaws to begin with that prevented it from being truly impressive, the placement of the Yeti among the biggest.

RandySavage

^ Was Original Everest flawless? No. But every attraction could be improved in one way or another.

As I said, going by only empirical data I have - the reaction of 8 of us who rode it several times over the course of a week in 2008, ages ranging from 8-50 - 100% of us were blown away by the A-mode Yeti. Everest graded a solid A, the highlight of the trip.

Are you making the claim that all the people who have seen the A-mode Yeti are outliers? What evidence are you going on that makes you declare that people could hardly notice the A-mode Yeti due to its placement?

Here's a 2006 clip. Shaky and low-def, but it was the first that came up.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbddIclmZ4
At 3:17 the train slows a bit re-entering the mountain. At 3:18 you turn the corner into the lit Yeti cavern and your eye is drawn to him moving wildly in the distance. Over the next 3 seconds you speed right at him and under his swiping arm. It was an incredible, disorienting, scary moment(IMO,;)).

I think you've previously made the argument that it's too brief an encounter. While I disagree with that (I think the brevity is key, just like any good horror movie), I can understand why some feel that way. From what I've seen of Disco Yeti (admittedly only reports and video, never experienced it), it's a major disappointment to me after experiencing A-mode... a significant disincentive to taking my family back to WDW (in case any WDW execs are reading).

AEfx

Are you making the claim that all the people who have seen the A-mode Yeti are outliers? What evidence are you going on that makes you declare that people could hardly notice the A-mode Yeti due to its placement?

Yes, every single one of them! That's exactly what I said.

:rolleyes:

I've explained why I think the way I do before. If you are that interested in the reasons I think that it was lost on many people has been previously posted.

I think you've previously made the argument that it's too brief an encounter. While I disagree with that (I think the brevity is key, just like any good horror movie), I can understand why some feel that way. From what I've seen of Disco Yeti (admittedly only reports and video, never experienced it), it's a major disappointment to me after experiencing A-mode... a significant disincentive to taking my family back to WDW (in case any WDW execs are reading).

It's not so much that it's brief, it's the placement that I think was/is the issue.

Regardless, no one outside of these boards seems to care, unfortunately. Like I said, go check out the Facebook post on the Disney Parks page. People think it's the most amazing thing ever. :(

The Yeti is just one of the issues that I see in Everest, though. There are a handful of others that contribute to my belief that Rhode put the icing before the cake, something I just can't help but see even if it's much to the chagrin of his "followers".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom