Disco Yeti Forever

The Duck

what about eliminating the yeti completely and building a new one in its' place?
That would involve spending vast amounts of money which TDO would object to. Apparently, any solution would involve lots of cash so we're probably dealing with a strobe-lit statue for the time being.

JimboJones123

Jrn14 said:
what about eliminating the yeti completely and building a new one in its' place?
You mean lighter and smarter and costing a few hundred thousand dollars?

That would also include somebody admitting that they were wrong when designing the original.

Side note, it would not have to look like the original, especially since 0.0% of the merchandise sold looks like the yeti. Heck, it barely resembles the Abominable Snowman from the Matterhorn.

DancingPhoenix

From what I have read, in order to "fix" the problem with the Yeti, they would have to literally tear nearly the entire ride down and start from scratch due to cracks in the structural foundation it is built on. I am not so concerned with a "disco yeti" that I feel sinking enormous cost to fix a ride that is 99% functional is justified. With so many other things that the money could be invested in to improve the guest experience. It's not a top priority in my estimation.

I thought that was a bunch of hooplah they were using as an excuse to not fix it sooner. If I remember correctly the Yeti is on a section that can be removed, or as others have said just shut down the ride and climb in there and work on him. Clearly I am not great with AA technology or the structure of Everest, but I'm basically 100% sure the entire ride does NOT need to be taken apart/demolished/ruined to fix the Yeti.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I thought that was a bunch of hooplah they were using as an excuse to not fix it sooner. If I remember correctly the Yeti is on a section that can be removed, or as others have said just shut down the ride and climb in there and work on him. Clearly I am not great with AA technology or the structure of Everest, but I'm basically 100% sure the entire ride does NOT need to be taken apart/demolished/ruined to fix the Yeti.
Correct it does not need to be torn down. however with that being said there are expensives to fixing the Yeti. One being taking two the main E-Ticket Attraction in Animal Kingdom for multiple months. (The only alternative to that would be Remove Yeti(which could take a week or two) then reopen only to close again to the restoration work). If its a bad physics calculations, then it might require more cement/support. There are a plethora of issues that could come out of it. I think the main issue stopping the fixing of the yeti and the lack of Attraction at Animal kingdom to pull people in during a lengthly closure. With that being said a friend of mine told me that they are actively working on solutions to fix the Yeti most of them in the brainstorming/logistics status. I haven't had the chance to ask if they are waiting for opening of Avatar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Insiders have stated the Yeti is a separate entity from the mountain. And careful observers of the Discovery Channel special on the building of the ride have noted that the yeti was installed after the mountain itself was completed in the special. It can be fixed without tearing down the mountain, and the yeti can be removed.

The Discovery Channel special also points out that the mountain, the track and the yeti all have independent structures that are not connected to each other.

Imagineer Mitch

I think I've mentioned this before, for one it's not the yeti itself broke anymore, however it's the structure of the yeti and the attraction itself. The yeti (when working) was damaging the foundation of it's own platform and the ground around it (which is including the mountain). It has damaged the mountain and the structure, nothing severe obviously. Imagineers have tried several methods to stabilize the ground and the vibrations but so far haven't came up with a solution that works.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I think I've mentioned this before, for one it's not the yeti itself broke anymore, however it's the structure of the yeti and the attraction itself. The yeti (when working) was damaging the foundation of it's own platform and the ground around it (which is including the mountain). It has damaged the mountain and the structure, nothing severe obviously. Imagineers have tried several methods to stabilize the ground and the vibrations but so far haven't came up with a solution that works.
Correct!! Though I know one solution that they are discussing is lighter Yeti that puts less stress on the structure. The hope is the two could possibly balance everything out.

DisneyGentleman

Correct!! Though I know one solution that they are discussing is lighter Yeti that puts less stress on the structure. The hope is the two could possibly balance everything out.
This?
tumblr_luj2emJiSG1qg1qrlo1_500.jpg

Butter

Maybe when Avatar opens they will have enough "other stuff" for people to do to make shutting down the ride for a period a real possibility.

But I agree with most that it probably will stay like this for the life of the ride.

Buried20KLeague

You mean lighter and smarter and costing a few hundred thousand dollars?

That would also include somebody admitting that they were wrong when designing the original.

Side note, it would not have to look like the original, especially since 0.0% of the merchandise sold looks like the yeti. Heck, it barely resembles the Abominable Snowman from the Matterhorn.

This has driven me nuts since day one. Seriously, who is in charge of merch design???????

Unplugged

This is just so obsurd to still be dealing with it. Obviously, the Yeti will never operate in it's glory as the whole structure is in jeopardy due to foundational stresses. I'm sure there is an affordable (under $1m, perhaps a few hundred $k) to replace the mechanism so his arm still has some movement then reprogram him so his face is fully operational (minimal stress) along with the lightened arm. He was really cool when he moved completely as you'd swear "it" was going to jump onto the track and eat you. However, as quickly as you see him, having him let out a piercing growl, follow the train with his head movement (while looking & growling) and taking a much lessened swing with NO full body movements is doable. Even if it meant removing him during a few nights, do concrete repair/replacement to be able to support an almost motionless Yeti, then re-install with the lightened arm mechanics and new software. It would still look amazing (using the same skin and shape), operate much smoother and damage free, and provide real thrill value. I for one doubt many people would know the difference between this suggested mod and the original.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
After reading (I think on micechat) about Bob Gurr's design expertise when making King Kong for Universal Studios and the challenges they resolved with that, I wonder what his input would be for designing the Yeti.

RunnerEd

Original Poster
At this point, I would take a really good projection instead of an AA. It's simply ridiculous that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom